Cylinder sleeve - Opinions and recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey1980

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi forum, I have a little doubt, a friend have a very old chainsaw from its father, and he want to preserve the 2-S cylinder, I mean the original, but he re-plated the cylinder two times and with a very poor result, so... here I am, when no one ask me about the topic, I talked, and I recommended him to use a sleeve, and again, when someone ask me if I can do that (I have to say no) but I said yes.

So, I know that the sleeves are made with cast iron, but do anyone have a concrete specification and tolerance? or just go to the metal shop and buy a cast iron pipe and turning with the lathe. I guess like piston rings are made with cast iron... but before doing a total mess, I wonder...

Thanks!

I turned a sleeve from cast iron stock once. I've got no record of tolerances; I used a light shrink fit and a did something with a pin in the cylinder and a notch in the top ring of the sleeve to align it when it dropped in. The hard part was cutting the ports; I used a CNC to cut them before installing the cylinder, then dressed the edges. This was for a development engine that wasn't going to run for too many hours. I ended up ordering more sleeves from these guys:

Advanced Sleeve: Cylinder Sleeve Supplier, Mentor, Ohio

They do custom work and might give you some help (I'm sure a one-off won't be cheap).

sleeve-diagram.gif

Nevermind, I now remember it was a moped cylinder with a removable head. The sleeve dropped in from the top and the head clamped it down. A blind cylinder is going to be different beast. Found some old photos; the alignment pin was at the bottom, not the top.

7KzVl.jpg

Ok, well I have to say, that is a great work, so you bought a cast iron pipe and machine that cylinder, Did you have to temper the piece?

I visited the website and it is fine but as you said, one = to expensive.

Thanks so much fot the picture.

Nevermind, I now remember it was a moped cylinder with a removable head. The sleeve dropped in from the top and the head clamped it down. A blind cylinder is going to be different beast. Found some old photos; the alignment pin was at the bottom, not the top.

7KzVl.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, well I have to say, that is a great work, so you bought a cast iron pipe and machine that cylinder, Did you have to temper the piece?

I visited the website and it is fine but as you said, one = to expensive.

Thanks so much fot the picture.

If I remember it was a piece of hollow round gray CI stock purchased from McMaster-Carr or MSC. There was no heat treating on the one I made and no discussion of tempering the ones made by Advanced Sleeve. If you trust Wikipedia as a source it says that grey CI is usually used as cast (no heat treatment).

Ok, perfect I understand, and yes I guess Wikipedia have valuable info, but sometimes, just sometimes.

Ok I will buy a grey cast iron pipe and try it... I have to ask, cast iron piston rings have no problem with cast iron sleeve, that is right?

If I remember it was a piece of hollow round gray CI stock purchased from McMaster-Carr or MSC. There was no heat treating on the one I made and no discussion of tempering the ones made by Advanced Sleeve. If you trust Wikipedia as a source it says that grey CI is usually used as cast (no heat treatment).

I'm sure if you posted the model, somebody here can help with a good used cylinder. I might have one.
I think this would be a much better option than trying to sleeve one.

Latest posts

Back