Dang hidden nail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also.

Any drying suggestions? I know oak can be difficult to dry evenly.

My plan is to lay card board over the slab and regularly reintroduce some moisture. I am also going to clamp it in between a couple of 4X4's to help it from twisting.

I understand that Oxalic acid is what to use on blue streak. I have the same problem with some red oak I cut a year ago and did some research on the problem. I have not tried it yet, so I have no direct experience. As I recall, flush the area multiple times then use clean water to wash it. Make sue you use distilled water to mix the acid, as it will react with any metals in regular water. That's all I know, but do some google searching and you will find more about this.

Steve.

Sounds like a plan.

I will give it a try next week, luckily there is a piece I can practice on.

I will let you know how I make out.

If it doesn't work I may unload a couple buck shots and spalter some dark red stain on it to give it a old primitive butchers table look.
Maybe get a old meat clever wedged in some where.

Looks like a fine chunk O' wood. What are your plans for it?

Here's a pic of a big Oak slab, after sanding and one coat of Danish oil (after a bit of rubbing)

166844d1294003536-sam_0103-copy-jpg

In the buff;

166800d1293978957-sam_0046-copy-jpg

I would just start sanding, my slab was streaked everywhere from the hundreds of lead shot pellets imbedded in the wood. Did not take much to make the streaks go away. (the holes are there though)

Not sure what my plan is yet. Going to let it air dry for a while. The old "set it and forget it".

Most likely will try and sell it. One of the slabs will get ripped in half for a mantle. The opposite half may get used for a bar top. Guess it all depends on how well it drys to.

With my favorite millin' machines, guess which one of these slabbed that ?

166850d1294006445-sam_0116-copy-jpg

You didn't post a pic of the end cut to show how deep the stain goes. The blue streak is caused by Iron in the wood, so, as you said, probably a nail or big lag bolt. Lead shot does not cause the wood to turn blue. If the end cut showed the stain to be shallow, as if this plank was getting farther from the source of the stain, you might sand it out. But, buy the looks of the pic, it goes all the way through so it's gonna take some sort of chemical bleaching to remove the stain. Some folks do like to leave the stain as added character, pends on the desired finish wanted. Pretty slab, Joe.

You didn't post a pic of the end cut to show how deep the stain goes. The blue streak is caused by Iron in the wood, so, as you said, probably a nail or big lag bolt. Lead shot does not cause the wood to turn blue. If the end cut showed the stain to be shallow, as if this plank was getting farther from the source of the stain, you might sand it out. But, buy the looks of the pic, it goes all the way through so it's gonna take some sort of chemical bleaching to remove the stain. Some folks do like to leave the stain as added character, pends on the desired finish wanted. Pretty slab, Joe.

Lead shot will fo' sure make it grey

Back