dans work on saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
as yall have probably noticed ,my comments on dans 372 pp saw have been reserved.thats because i wanted to have some time to really learn the saw.
my decision is that this is the easiest saw ive ever worked with. a friend has a 372 and while its good also. when u get into real thick hardwood ,it doesnt compare. when i take an oak or whatever dn ,i dont even get the small saw out to handle the limbs etc. the 372
cuts it so easy ,that its just easier to stay with it. now im slow to give accolades like this as time can sometimes
show u ,that u spoke to soon. hence the time i took to give my evaluation.
ps ,dan me an the 372 are in a full fleged affair. ill have to tell my wife tonite.i recommend anybody that thinks they want a saw souped up ,give ole dan an email. im not on his payroll,and hes probably wondered why i didnt say more about his saw.
excellent bud

Tony, that is good. I know modified saws make for happy sawyers. I would like to know how many modified saws you have or how many you have run. Have you tried a Ken Dunn saw? A Dennis Greffard, Walkers, Hunt Brothers, Joe Champion, Ace Morgan, Tom Fales, Benny Whitfield, Gaston Dupree, Ron Hartel, Mark Eckhart, Harold Spanski, Bob Larson, Chancy Varney or maybe a Mike Rupley saw? I remember when John Lambert thought Walkers saws were the best ever. That was before he tried others. Having asked that is no reflection on Dans work. It may be he is better than all the others, but I would like to know your frame of reference. Mike

I remember when John Lambert thought Walkers saws were the best ever.

Mike,
I just asked John about this. He presently believes that JDHotsaw is the best builder. I personally think that you build at least the best 090's.

ive not run any other modifieds. im not comparing dans work to anyones.
im just saying that if u want your saw
made to perform quite a bit better ,he seems to be on to something.
personnally i dont think ill be getting into racing. but now something that leaves me with a little gas in the tank at the end of the day,gets my attention.:) later now.

I have ran and owned Walkers, Dennis,Dan's And Kens saws and I would like to try a Mike Rupley saw and yes modified saws do make for a happy sawyers, They sure have me spoiled.
All of the builder whom I have had build my saws do a wonderful job, Yes Dennis, Dan get more than Walkers but you also pay more . Ken defiantly gets more than any of them but you pay for it.. I own 3 of Dan's PP saw now and all of them perform flawlessly I highly recommend Dan Not only dose he build a fast saw he also gets your saw done and gets it back to you.

I agree Dans saw definetly make sawyers happy,I can't say anything about all the other builder KD,Dennis,Mike Rupley or any others since I have never run a saw from them but I'm very satisfied with what Dan did to my 385XP I noticed a big difference right from the time I hit the throttle,even bigger difference when I had it buried in a 24" DBH Red Oak yesterday it just keeps on pullin'

Later Rob.

Just wondering if you guys are sending in brand new saws or breaking them in first then sending? Seems you'd get a better idea how much difference there is after it's broken in and performing the way it should stock?

I sent mine just broken in I had ran 10-15 tanks of fuel through it before I sent it to him,I can see what your saying though you can't appreciate what they do if you send it new and have never run it..

Later Rob..

<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>I saw Rupedoggy mentioning the Hunt Brothers, I hope that's the same Hunt Brothers that have been terrorizing Southern Oregon and Northen California for years. Those guys are amazing, Gary Hunt does some of the best two-stroke engine work on the planet. They modified a 3120 in 1992 that won 13 straight races on the west coast.<p/>

Mike,Or who ever knows
Witch one of the name's you mention would be the builder to use if a guy was wanting to build a winning saw rite now ?

Wow, seems like a simple enough question. Trouble is every dog has his day. Some of the builders that I mentioned (yes you got the correct Hunt Bros.) are good at some saws but not others. If you want a Rotax saw I would have Russ Lemkie build it. Almost all the saws on the Stihl Timber Challenge are his creations. However I think I could build a better 2100 Husky than him. You see that is not his speciality, it's mine. You have to know the rules of the contest you are entering. You have to know the class breaks and which saws fit these breaks. Then you have to know a person that will build you a winning saws in this size. I don't care how fast you think your 346 Husky is- My 2100s will beat it everytime.
Ken Dunn has been studing this stuff for over 15 years, that I know of. You guys want to beat his creations with one year experience in saw racing. I don't think so. I will also state that your experience in the woods or up a tree under powerlines counts for little in the race game. If this statement ticks you off then let me have it. Some people don't like the truth brought out into the light of day. Mike

i would have to agree ,just working with a saw doesnt make u or your saw race material. however the saws purpose is to get work done. in that area i know one fella that can make u saw
a good bit better. thats really all im after .i leave the playin to the fellas with the means . not to offend as u never know i may decide to try it in the future. but dans saw sure is a breeze to work with.
thats what the post was meant to point out. the man believes in his work enough to send saws to folks and let them see for their self.in return i just believe its only fair to give an honest evaluation .
like i said ,the man does good work.

Modified saws are fun, and as Rupedoggie pointed out, a lot of guys scratch out saws, turning a saw into a reliable work saw, or a winning race saw is the hard part, did he forget about Marcel Vincent? Anyway, dial-in your saws and enjoy !!! cause Clearwater East or West can be a lot of fun.
P.S. ever think about East vs West?

Hi John, It would be nice if the East had the same rules as the West, such as live start, one cut. This way it means the responsibility to win is on the saw, as opposed to how fast the saw can be started and brought to the wood.
Like Art Martin said, it is kinda like running the 100 yard dash, but first you have to tie your shoelaces, however, it is fun to race even when you lose. The most fun I had losing was when I ran against the best in the East and drop started the 088KD with the ignition off. I have only entered two races in my life so far, but look forward to racing more. I can run against Gaston Duprere in June If I like, but I may as well stick to my style and just drop start it again, so I can get some attention.
John

You have to understand that in this east coast race at the Deerfield Fair, John and Robert were running up against Jerry Gingas, the world record holder for 8" cants with cold start. I believe it's in the 2.5 second range. Jerry bogged in the third cut and still pulled a 3.1. I have the video of Jerry, Robert and John. As soon as I get some time, I'll edit and compress it and send it out to anyone who wants to see it. Hey John, remember how fast that beefy caveman guy was? Unbelieveable.

the man believes in his work enough to send saws to folks and let them see for their self.in return i just believe its only fair to give an honest evaluation .

Tony I think you hit the nail on the head with your last post.
I don't think I have ever heard of any off the other saw builders offering to let guys try out their saw's.
I have one of Dan's PP372's , All I can say is this saw rocks I would not be afraid to compare this saw to any off the other saw builder's I doubt anyone else's will be much faster if at all.
This is the fastest saw I have ever owned and trust me I have had a few. It is the easiest starting saw I have ever pulled over.
Thanks Dan this saw is pure pleasure to run

20" It will do most every thing i need to do, I do have a 28" and a 32" that will fit it if needed

So Eric I see you got your PP372 sweeettt saw ah..I've been thinking that my next saw will probally be a PP372XPW in the near future..and maybe a 346XP also for a little limber and to give to my girlfriend so I can put the 029S away for a while....

Later Rob..

Eric,

What happened to that"red and black you'll never go back"thingy"?

Rob,

I see you have your woman's best interest at heart,I bet she would appreciate a 346xp!

Rick

Rick your right I do have her best interest in mind she's been trying to take over my 357XPG for the past few weeks so I figured I'd get her something new..

Later Rob.

Latest posts

Back