Day job perks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZDOG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Went down the valley to mill some airing sticks and a few boards yesterday out of Mountain Ash. The house in the background in the 4th pic is my day job (carpenter). The owner cleared a few trees which he was happy to hand over to me to mill up:chainsawguy: hope the pics are clear enough, they were taken on my phone.

Looks like nice homogeneous wood, very few knots (no sticks no seeds that you don't need:) ) high grade lumber. Actually doesn't look like any ash around here in the NE US. Local names for wood can be very deceptive. It looks pretty dense and hard, is it?

Last edited:
Looks like nice homogeneous wood, very few knots (no sticks no seeds that you don't need:) ) high grade lumber. Actually doesn't look like any ash around here in the NE US. Local names for wood can be very deceptive. It looks pretty dense and hard, is it?

it's a eucalypt, but the thing is that there is over 200 species of eucalypt found in australia so to identify the exact species you have to study the tree over a twelve month period to find out all its flowering, budding characteristics etc.....so ash is a bit generic. i find it hard to identify what i'm working with most of the time when it's blonde timber because the trees look so similar so everyone tends to say 'oh, it's an ash of some sort'. and yes, it is very hard and dense (and bloody heavy!).

Thanks Ozdog. I've said this before, but I envy you Aussies for your hard dense interesting wood you have down there. If I ever visit down there, I'd have to figure a way to get a ton of it back here to my woodshop.

Latest posts

Back