Dayummm old Stihl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The user didn't know what a chain brake was.
It was is first saw and he wasn't teach how to use it.
Keep up the good work. We can make out what you are trying to say. Learning a new language can take years to achieve. Even a lot of us that have known English all our lives, we get others confused to what we are trying to say as well, and even miss spell words too. Don't feel bad OK. Bruce.

Another case:

The owner brought me this sthil 051 and told me his employee couldn't start it.
I checked it and then I found out what the problem was.
Months ago, the employee used a old can of weedkiller to make the mix,he used it and then left it as it was.
Chainsaw couldn't be repaired because of the cost,all the internal parts were rusted.
It needed crankshaft, bearings, cylinder, piston, gaskets and a carburettor.

Great posts Dan-Tor

I've seen the chain brake deal several times over the years, boy they don't seem to give up till they burn it up. The 051 and the weed killer reminds me of the MS310 I sold once. Lady brought it back raising hell, won't run she said fuming mad. Popped the fuel cap and bingo, fuel of kerosene and then it was my turn to ruffle her feathers,LOL

Also had a 026 once. The guy used his paint thinner can to mix up his fuel in. Saw came in locked up tight. Had to pry the cylinder off. Don't know what he had in that can but it glued the entire cylinder/piston down tight. The piston and cylinder looked like someone had painted them jet black. Several days soaking in solvent and she was running again, dayummest thing I ever seen.

Last edited:
You have tears in yours eyes and I have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in mine,LOL

:ices_rofl: well, that's our Thall allright !

attachment.php

I've seen the chain brake deal several times over the years, boy they don't seem to give up till they burn it up. The 051 and the weed killer reminds me of the MS310 I sold once. Lady brought it back raising hell, won't run she said fuming mad. Popped the fuel cap and bingo, fuel of kerosene and then it was my turn to ruffle her feathers,LOL

Also had a 026 once. The guy used his paint thinner can to mix up his fuel in. Saw came in locked up tight. Had to pry the cylinder off. Don't know what he had in that can but it glued the entire cylinder/piston down tight. The piston and cylinder looked like someone had painted them jet black. Several days soaking in solvent and she was running again, dayummest thing I ever seen.

This is a funny thread. Too bad it's so accurate. Do you ever wonder, just from the way they maintain their saws, what their wood cutting technique might be like? Scary thought.

Tom, as dry as it is out here in West Texas, got 1/4" of rain the first six months of this year, I think a 50/50 mix of water and oil would work on almost anything, including a chainsaw. :hmm3grin2orange:

This is a funny thread. Too bad it's so accurate. Do you ever wonder, just from the way they maintain their saws, what their wood cutting technique might be like? Scary thought.

No kidding. There is a flip side to it though. We get to help these fine people and talk about em after they leave,LOL To be fair to them alot of it is honest mistakes on their part, grabbing the wrong gas can, filling the fuel tank with bar oil without thinking and so on. I can understand the homeowners making these mistakes, its the pros that baffle me, especailly the landscapers. Those guys beat the equipment to death and its the equipment that pulls in their paychecks, doesn't make any sense to me.

Tom, as dry as it is out here in West Texas, got 1/4" of rain the first six months of this year, I think a 50/50 mix of water and oil would work on almost anything, including a chainsaw. :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, Tex don't you dare try it, I'll tell on you,LOLOL

:ices_rofl: well, that's our Thall allright !

attachment.php

But brother Belgian I'm quite freindly toward them about it. Sorta like a doctor. They bring in their sick puppies, I lookem over, find the problem and go sir or mam here's the problem, if you want the thing to bark again ya gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,LOLOLOL

No kidding. There is a flip side to it though. We get to help these fine people and talk about em after they leave,LOL To be fair to them a lot of it is honest mistakes on their part, grabbing the wrong gas can, filling the fuel tank with bar oil without thinking and so on. I can understand the homeowners making these mistakes, its the pros that baffle me, especially the landscapers. Those guys beat the equipment to death and its the equipment that pulls in their paychecks, doesn't make any sense to me.
When I was a Factory Service Technician, the funniest thing that I ever saw was when a Factory Service Technician that worked on the same Product that I was taking care of, prior before they closed the doors, and the Place that I worked for took over, the Dealership.
This guy brought his Chain Saw too me, and said that the chain would not move. I grabbed the chain, to see if it would turn, and it wouldn't. I then pulled back on the Chain Break, and then grabbed the chain to see if it would move. It did, and I asked the guy, if he worked on the products when the place he worked for had the dealer ship, and he said Yes.
I asked him why he couldn't figure out why his chain could not move, instead of bringing it to me. He brought the Chain Saw to us to have the chain sharpened, and figured that we put the saw back together wrong.
He was not to happy when he received the bill for his incompedence. I figured that him being a Factory Service Technician with the place that closed the doors, and worked on the same product before the shop that I worked for took over the Dealership, should know better. Bruce.

Exactly. Had one two weeks ago, same deal, half water, half fuel mix, same reply, HOW DID THAT GET IN THERE,LOL Last summer I had a old guy bring a little FS55 in hollering the day thing won't run. Dump the fuel mix out and bingo, 75% water. Look on his truck and there sat his gas can with no top on. I saw it and it rung this bell, HOW DID THAT GET IN THERE, I think I know now,LOL
OK Guys. I hope that this is not a dumb question. The water getting into the gas can, is that from having the gas can stored outside in the elements, or can a gas can absorb moisture when it is stored inside, from condensation? I keep my Plastic Gas Can of Gas/Mix stored inside my Implement Shed, out of the elements. I've been using the same Gas Can for as long as I can remember. My Dad used to use this Gas Can, probably close to 30 years or more. We have not run into any Gas/Mix problems yet, until recently, when a couple of my saws had Carburetor trouble, but the rest of my saws are fine still. I was wondering if this could be one of my problems, or should I replace the can, or keep using it, since my other saws use the same Gas/Mix, from the same can. Thanks for your input. Bruce.

OK Guys. I hope that this is not a dumb question. The water getting into the gas can, is that from having the gas can stored outside in the elements, or can a gas can absorb moisture when it is stored inside, from condensation? I keep my Plastic Gas Can of Gas/Mix stored inside my Implement Shed, out of the elements. I've been using the same Gas Can for as long as I can remember. My Dad used to use this Gas Can, probably close to 30 years or more. We have not run into any Gas/Mix problems yet, until recently, when a couple of my saws had Carburetor trouble, but the rest of my saws are fine still. I was wondering if this could be one of my problems, or should I replace the can, or keep using it, since my other saws use the same Gas/Mix, from the same can. Thanks for your input. Bruce.

Part of the problem is the new ethanol blend fuels. Ethanol will absorb water out of the air, so if it's not sealed, you will get water in your fuel.

Part of the problem is the new ethanol blend fuels. Ethanol will absorb water out of the air, so if it's not sealed, you will get water in your fuel.

Smart man Space. These new ethanol blends are a pain in the butt not only for small power equipment but big stuff as well. Had a guy a few weeks ago complaining about ethanol. He runs his own automotive business. He says the stuff is creating nitemares. Claims he has a old farm tractor sitting for a few months. He went to use it, wouldn't start. He said the fuel tank had become a mix of water, goo and gas. He said he's seeing alot of problems related to ethanol at his car shop as well.

Last edited:

OK. That does make a lot of since. I also have been using Stihl Premium, Two-stroke engine oil as well. It has a fuel Stabilizer as well, and maybe I should consider using additives as well to combat the moisture from the Ethanol. Thanks. Bruce.

Smart man Space. These new ethanol blends are a pain in the butt not only for small power equipment but big stuff as well. Had a guy a few weeks ago complaining about ethanol. He runs his own automotive business. He says the stuff is creating nitemares. Claims he has a old farm tractor sitting for a few months. He went to use it, wouldn't start. He said the fuel tank had become a mix of water, goo and gas. He said he's seeing alot of problems related to ethanol at his car shop as well.
THALL.
When you started this Thread, How did all that water wind up in the cutomers gas tank? That can't be from the Ethonal, or could it, if the Customer buys all his Gas in a Bulk and has a Gas Company fill a Bulk Tank for him? Thanks. Bruce.

THALL.
When you started this Thread, How did all that water wind up in the cutomers gas tank? That can't be from the Ethonal, or could it, if the Customer buys all his Gas in a Bulk and has a Gas Company fill a Bulk Tank for him? Thanks. Bruce.

I got no idea Bruce. He looked at me and said how'd that get in there. He could have got that garbage right out the pump at the station when the tanks are about empy. He could have left his gas can on the truck or out in the yard with the cap off when it was raining. Its hard to know Bruce. I do know its becoming more common. Didn't used to see fuel screwed up that bad, usually it was just old fuel with that foul smell. Nowdays water in the fuel is becoming a much more common thing. Space hit the nail on head about enthanol.......

I got no idea Bruce. He looked at me and said how'd that get in there. He could have got that garbage right out the pump at the station when the tanks are about empty. He could have left his gas can on the truck or out in the yard with the cap off when it was raining. Its hard to know Bruce. I do know its becoming more common. Didn't used to see fuel screwed up that bad, usually it was just old fuel with that foul smell. Nowadays water in the fuel is becoming a much more common thing. Space hit the nail on head about enthanol.......
Seven years ago, when I went to a one day Mechanic's Training Day for Stihl, and Ethanol was mentioned at the seminar, and there was an argument started there, about Ethanol. The more I think about it, Stihl was against Ethanol, and suggested not using Ethanol Gas. I think that it had something to do with the Octane Levels in the Ethanol Blends of Gas. But now a days, pretty much of everything you buy in Gas, has Ethanol, in it. I guess it is safe to say, that use users have to put some kind of additive into our gas to combat the moisture, in the Ethanol Gas. Thanks for your reply. Bruce.

Latest posts

Back