Dayummm old Stihl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got as good as a freebie Husky 268XP this week that didn't run anymore. This saw was looking good, but very low compression...

some pics :

oppppps, someone forgot to clean the airfilter now and then...

somedustsmall.jpg

here's the piston. the ring locking pin apparently came loose, hit the exhaust port and snapped a chunk out of the top. The nice part is that this pin has been dancing a while on top of the piston and left big marks in the piston and jug top.

piston.jpg

here's the jug. You'll notice a very clean deep score in the cylinder, as if it were machined, caused by the ring pin. I found the pin hiding in the muffler

scoringmark.jpg

One would assume that the crank were bent or bearings were shot because of this. I found them still OK. new jug and piston seem to be necessary :rolleyes:

I got as good as a freebie Husky 268XP this week that didn't run anymore. This saw was looking good, but very low compression...

some pics :

oppppps, someone forgot to clean the airfilter now and then...

somedustsmall.jpg

here's the piston. the ring locking pin apparently came loose, hit the exhaust port and snapped a chunk out of the top. The nice part is that this pin has been dancing a while on top of the piston and left big marks in the piston and jug top.

piston.jpg

here's the jug. You'll notice a very clean deep score in the cylinder, as if it were machined, caused by the ring pin. I found the pin hiding in the muffler

scoringmark.jpg

One would assume that the crank were bent or bearings were shot because of this. I found them still OK. new jug and piston seem to be necessary :rolleyes:

But Roland............You never have to clean the airfilter on a Husky!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy:

But Roland............You never have to clean the airfilter on a Husky!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy:

Well to tell you the truth, I was surprised as well, as the filter was OK and covered by an intact housing ..:confused:
Have a look at the coil, if you still can recognize it. Looking at the size of the dust particles and the dull chain, I think this sawyer liked to produce dust instead of chips...

coilsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Was Serviced Last Year He Said

This has become a new issue of late and its getting worse due to the new corn mix fuel or ethanol. They get the machine serviced last year, use it all summer and then put it away with fuel in the tank. This year comes and the machine won't start, I just had it serviced last year they say, what could be wrong. Well lets see.

attachment.php

Hmm the part out the tank is smaller than the part in the tank, hmmm, swollen bigtime from ethanol.

Well kizz my rosy behind, lookie there.

attachment.php

Next year I'll probly be putting another fuel hose in this same machine,LOL

Dayummm Belgian that Husky looks like its been to hell and back. Neglect can ruin any saw. That filter on that saw looks like its never been cleaned..

Is there any type of hose that can resist that crap gas? Silicone?

I really don't know. If there is I wish they would hurry up and start making fuel lines out of it. This ethanol stuff is really creating a new list of problems to look for. I had a trimmer a few weeks ago in which the fuel hose laying in the tank had swollen to the point the filter merely fell off of it.

I really don't know. If there is I wish they would hurry up and start making fuel lines out of it. This ethanol stuff is really creating a new list of problems to look for. I had a trimmer a few weeks ago in which the fuel hose laying in the tank had swollen to the point the filter merely fell off of it.

The Goverment here is pushing to use Bio-Fuel, So its juat a matter of time until we have those problems in the UK

airfilter.jpg

Hey look familiar lol
This one was "just" at the point where the strimmer hesitated on initial acceleration.
I gave it a light clean with a brush washed it off in the sink then chucked the bugger in the washing machine, Good as new lol

Dayummm Belgian that Husky looks like its been to hell and back. Neglect can ruin any saw. That filter on that saw looks like its never been cleaned..

I agree 100%. You should have seen the rest of the saw. I like them xp huskies very well because they handle nice and are quick on the throttle. It just breaks my technical hart how some users take care (or just plain don't) of their equipment. Sincerely, I think I am not capable of scoring an engine ever. :agree2:

We have a customer that brings in his Toro Time Cutter Z every month with the same complaint..it wont start, or just putters a little smoke out the muffler at best.

And every time we drain the bowl of the rusty water contents, blow out the lines, new filters drain BOTH tanks of their contents, totally dry...add fresh fuel and its off to the races. The thing runs great, we've put over an hour on it at times making sure it is perfect for him...

We charge him about 40 dollars for the time, and the cost of fuel..he always complains he doesnt know how the heck its possible for it to keep happening.

Here is the kicker. It's poly tanks, rubber fuel line, plastic filter, plastic pump...the only metal is in the carb bowl, and the plating is fine. Yet the water we get out of the tank and carb is aways a ruddy red color, the fuel itself has an orange tinge to it.

My guess is that he is storing fuel in a 55 gallon drum, or a larger container, maybe at his farm, maybe in the back of a pickup...but he is puming the crap into his tanks.

Oh well, as long as he keeps paying, we'll keep fixing it...

I got a carb kit for my 025 as it was not the easiest thing to start from cold, Now sometimes i had to resort to pouring mix down the carb, But once it was running it was fine.
It would start with a half pull all day after that.
I popped the carb off and gave it a clean before i dismantled it, I unscrewed the Diaphram cover and removed it and low and behold the diaphram was on the wrong side up!
I turned it around and put it back together and now it starts real easy!

Back