dead elm over power lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrytrees

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so here's a question for yall. client wants a dead elm removed from his back yard. here is my delima though its only maybe 8 inches or so in diameter but goes up about 50 feet and has a lean. the tree is only a few feet from power lines so because of the lean the whole top half is over the lines. It cant be felled the opposite way because of the neighbors house. its dead enough that the bark is all cracked and falling off in very large plates. I'm concerned that climbing it plus rigging a block in the top would shock load the tree enough to break the trunk in half with me in it. but i can not think of another reasonable way without a bucket truck. any ideas? Its an older gentleman so i don't wanna say i cant do it

help...

how good are you?.... is there another tree close by you can tie into?... can you spike?... you got your rigging skills honed in?... how many trees have you done like this?... do you know how to redirect limbs?.... inspect the tree like a hawk... if you go up "feel" your way up and tune into the tree....listen to it...and heed it.... piece out the top then snap cut your way down... have someone with you to help rope out stuff and bring you to the ER in case you #### yourself up... which power line is it?.... pole to pole or pole to house?... if its a pole to house line you can call the power company to come drop it for you for a few hours... and remember dont be one of these:
images-6.jpg

If you have not worked around power lines before, don't! Call your local power company to clear the lines a safe distance. From your post, it doesn't sound like you should attempt this. Remember, electrocution is the number one cause of death in our industry. Have you taken any EHAP courses or qualified to work around energized conductors? There is no shame in telling a client you can't do something. Don't let your ego get you injured or worse.

Just an FYI, unless you are trained and certified for line clearance you are required to stay 10' from energized lines. Any closer and you run the risk of electricity arcing to you, electrocuting you without even touching the line.

No way to advise you on a tree of that nature without inspecting it first hand. If you are having to ask how to do it, that is a good indication that you should seek more experienced help.

I would say that you may wanna reconsider impressing a guy who sounds like hes got one foot in the grave, it surely isnt worth that thatda a boy you may get from him .... I mean theres no glory in being coming a roasted hot dog or God forbid having the tree collapse and becoming a grease spot that wild animals pass by and lick at .... Call assplunger or whoever does your local right a away they charge like a 100 bucks and hour for a truck and 2 men

What type of powerline is it? I am not certified to work around lines but I have had lines deenergized before when I am working around them. I paid 150 bucks to have a line shut off for an hour once when I cut a pine tree loose from the line (it had actually grown in). If it is a high voltage line it is not gonna happen though. Your other option is to bid the job high enough to rent a small lift. If it ain't a full day line up other jobs where you can use that lift...... remember you need an insulated lift.

Look, first of all i aint a newbee, i just need sugested help every now and again as im sure we all do i been climbing for years i climb spur, srt, drt,Ddrt. Im not lookin to impress anyone. The closest tree is about 50 feet away so even if i was to tie into it if i fell id hit the ground not to mention the tree is on the other side of the power lines. There is a power line, phone line, and cable line. The power lines are pole to house so they are insulated im not worried about getting zapped iv done alot of work around power lines but nothing on a tree this dead. Best i can figure i can spur up it take out the 5 or 6 limbs that there is and block down the trunk and have one of my other ground workers tag line it for control i normally dont ever do work alone i always have my crew. I understand that there is no way for yall to know how stable the tree is without looking at it but what im wondering is; is there a method for removal here that i have not thought off. There is two other trees on the property both about the same height both on the opposite side of the line, both green, one is about 20 feet away one is about 50 feet away but the three trree is perspective for like a triangle not a straight line or i would use a personal zipline. Im in the process of seeing if the power company will come drop the lines but the tree itself isnt worth but maybe 300 tops it wont even fill the front end of my trailer. like i said even though its about 50 foot tall or so its only maybe 8 inches at the base with maybe 5 or 6 small limbs up top.

Well, if you've been climbing for years, post in the commercial section and not 101. From your original post, it sounded like you didn't have a clue. Sounds like you already have a plan. Stay safe.

I have a friend , certified arborist, for a large municipality.
was electrocuted once, says you couldn't pay him a million dollars to work around primaries.
I would pass on this one, there is enough work out there.

The set up we have here in the UK, is that the home owner calls the electricity supplier and explains the problem, they send out a surveyor, the next step (if the tree is considered dangerous) they will send a team of tree surgeons to carry out the work, at no charge to the home owner! Not sure of the set up where you are, but its worth looking into?

If you have not worked around power lines before, don't! Call your local power company to clear the lines a safe distance. From your post, it doesn't sound like you should attempt this. Remember, electrocution is the number one cause of death in our industry. Have you taken any EHAP courses or qualified to work around energized conductors? There is no shame in telling a client you can't do something. Don't let your ego get you injured or worse.

i agree ! if u have not done utillity work , DON'T !!! U COLD GET SHOCKED EVEN KILLED FEET FROM THE LINES , I USED TO DO LINE CLEARANCE , BE HUMBLE AND ADMIT U SHOULDNT DO IT ,
THE OLD MAN WILL APPRECIATE YOUR HONESTY , AND HE WONT FEEL BAD CAUSE U GOT INJURED DOING IT ! BESIDES , IF THE TREE IS THAT CLOSE ITS THE POWER CO. RESPONSABILITY !

The power lines are pole to house so they are insulated im not worried about getting zapped

You should be worried any time you get near power lines. Complacency leads to accidents.
Just because those lines are a service wrap does not mean they won't fry you. That covering is not insulation.
Its weatherproofing to prevent oxidation.

I work as a line clearance arborist mon-fri. If that situation happened in our area the power company would probably pay the tree company I work for to take the tree at least 10' from the line. Win-win if it works out like that for you. Less work, and you wouldn't be paying for it to be taken away from the line. The power company would foot the bill in order to help keep the customer's powerline clear. Only problem from how you described it is that the line clearance crew might be told to take the whole tree and you'd lose the job (depending on how things work in your area). That situation hasn't happened here since I've been on the line clearance crew so I'm not positive. Best of luck. I think I read that you made the phone call to the power co, if you haven't it's worth checking into.

Latest posts

Back