Deal or No Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this a good deal?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abramj

Just an average Joe
Reaction score
Walked into a shop looking for a stop switch and spring for my 015L Top Handle, and walked out with a MS391 project....

Best I can tell, it's missing the top cover, carburetor, and possibly a few other small bits in that area. Story from the shop was the carb went bad, owner brought in, shop ordered carb, replaced, sent home with owner.. Repeat three times... Shop makes deal on new saw, tosses 391 in back. they offered to sell me a new carb, but they would need to order it as the one off this was not back from Stihl, as they were sending them back under warranty. I walked out with this saw (no bar or clutch drum/driver), and a top cover from a 291 (didn't match it up, just thought we grabbed the correct one) for $20.00 buckaroos. Saw is a 2014 model, looks in excellent condition. Good compression, piston has no marks.

So, I'm wondering why this saw ate so many carbs? Can I find a used carb at a decent price? Or did I just blow 20 bucks on a lousy boat anchor?

Thoughts?

Probably bad gas or ethanol fuel. I'm assuming it was running each time the shop sent it back with a new carb, and the person using it kept putting the same crap back in it when they refilled.
It is strange the shop wouldn't tell him that.
That's up top in the you suck column...which is another thread where you could have posted this.

I didn't feel it was worthy of "you suck", or I would have posted this there. Until I get it running, I'm not going to be sure. Also, I don't have a decent picture of this yet, just been busy around the house fixing broken house things...

I also was not familiar with the new Stihl saw lineup, and I appreciate you telling me this and the 311 are the same. That may help me find parts for it.

Back