Death in the Stihl family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesnt the 335/338/339 use a better design instead of the ...Clam Snelling design ????

Why does Husky use plastic lower crank cases??? Why do you see so many referb saws made by Poulan ???

Because they're all cheap homeowner saws. It's just that some can't accept that the 180 is no better than those you just metioned in many ways.

This is a false statement. A change in weight of the reciprocating assembly only changes the rate of acceleration of the system, not the max power it will produce.

Decreasing the mass of the reciprocating assembly will in turn decrease the magnitude of torque opposite the direction of rotation. That will indeed result in more power.

I agree the rod in question is made to hit a price point, not saying they spec'd with performance in mind.

Why doesnt the 335/338/339 use a better design instead of the ...Clam Snelling design ????

Why does Husky use plastic lower crank cases??? Why do you see so many referb saws made by Poulan ???

Many here want two way results on a one way street.

Cost and profits are why. Stihl could put their badge on a turd, sell it and people would love it because it is a stihl. They know this and this is why the 180 exists. I've seen the same kind of rods on stihl trimmers and 015.

100 bucks says that somewhere along the line husky and stihl share the same supplier. And are they really made in Germany and Sweden? or just assembled there from parts supplied from all over the globe? I would be interested to see who the parts suppliers are for both corporations. In fact I challenge husky and stihl to prove me wrong. C'mon guys lets see it. Show me proof that they really are MADE in sweden or germany? or just assembled there?

post from another thread....

This thread sucks. And I for one am going to take Brads back on this one.
A lot of people come to AS for advice on saws. There is a BUNCH of knowledge on here.
The last thing someone should want to hear, IMHO, is a saw recommendation based on someones pet brand. I for one think people who are totally brand loyal are missing a lot. For example Stihl makes an excellent 60cc saw and a 361 is a good recommendation for someone seeking a 60cc saw. But I feel sorry for folks who have purchased 260s because the Stihl guys recommended it just because it is a Stihl (sorry 260 owners, Stihl does not have a 50cc saw that can compare to the competition, IMHO)
If you have ever been to Brads house it is very clear that he is a Stihl guy at heart.
But he is able to give an honest opinion on saws in any given class. I for one appreciate that, Thanks Brad.
The brand wars suck, and anyone IMHO who has saws in each or many of the various classes that are all from the same manufacturer, has missed out, (except for PB, hang in there with those J Reds PB)
I want the best saw for my money, I don't know about the rest of you but money is hard to come by for me.
I appreciate a guy who is willing to step up and give an informed opinion regardless of brands.
There are lots of things to possibly consider when purchasing a saw, (service, parts availability, Etc.) but I think a good understanding of the quality of the saw in question is the most important, and again I appreciate a guy who is willing to step up and give me an honest opinion based on experience.
It should be noted that I own a 180, it is a good little saw for its intended purpose and Brad has never said anything to the contrary.

I sell alot of MS 180 chainsaws that are used for pro work. I cant say that I can remember a bent rod. Most of the pro use saws are trashed when the upper end is gone after the customer fails to clean the airfilter and it eats the fine dust.

On the other hand, I have seen many bent rods in the Stihl 4140 series trimmer. Mainly bending after he motor is full of fuel after the inlet needle leaks. Then the customer yanks the starter rope and all the pressure on top of the piston bends the rod.

Rope. IMHO, the solution is to use no piston stop at all and use an impact.

Ok, I hate to take all the air out of Tom's big video, but I assume he's using a stop...maybe not but I guess we'll see.

This is a question of leverage. If guy A uses a rope, and it compresses too much, the piston comes too close to TDC, there will be a very large leverage advantage. If guy B uses a stop that stops the piston far away from TDC (like 90 degrees or so) then he will impart much less buckling force on the rod using the same value of torque on a torque wrench.

I think it would be much easier to discredit them. What do you have to lose? You do this for fun they have their livelihood to think about. I think with a little research we could discredit husky too. I don't know if you agree with me or not, but I think all of the newer production saws could use improvement. I challenge husky and stihl to prove that the saws are MADE in not just ASSEMBLED in germany or sweden. Prove to me that they don't share a common supplier throughout their supply chain. Until they prove those things I don't want any negative crap about the $hit I talk. Cuz I'm talkin from experience.:clap:

Tickle tickle tickle tickle.
Tickle tickle tickle tickle tickle.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2sC_bvcBw4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2sC_bvcBw4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

space this is nice video birds have a sense of humor too

I agree with you to a point. But if the competition can put a forged rod and vertically split mag case in a $250 saw, so can Stihl. My only point is that the Stihl rod is weaker than it needs to be, requiring extra care to be taken to keep from destroying the engine.

Are you, "The Snellerizer", not capable of providing the "extra care" it takes to work on the MS180?

This is a quote from a previous Brad post:
The piston often only scores on the exhaust side. I'd take Toms advise. He knows his stuff.

WTF does that have to do with anything? some do some don't It's never cut and dry.

Tom is not Zeus and Brad isn't Thor. C'mon people these are chainsaws????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back