decent options for shipping saws within Canada?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamMann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have generally assumed shipping would be cost prohibitive for most heavy old saws that aren't worth much. Hoping for input on what parcel services others use in Canada & the general cost of shipping mid to large size saws within Canada. Appreciate any info, thanks :}

Of course I cannot add any info to shipping within the fine folks of Canada but I sure wish they could ship across the border at a reasonable price. (NOT THEIR FAULT) It should not be twice to ship a item 5 miles across the border as it is for me to ship 10,000 miles across the big pond.

It's frustrating & mind boggling. Shipping something from a an hour away across the border is almost always far too cost-prohibitive... but the other side of the planet, no prob! Heck, it's often cheaper to ship something from the other side of the planet than it is within my own province.

Try Fastenal, they are supposed to be great at shipping pallets of goods store to store cheaply.
I use Fastenal but the last I knew (a few years ago) they did not ship in Canada. That might have changed. Also I do not belie they ship out of zones. I do not think I can ship to the west coast. They work top notch for me in the midwest. I have a Silvey Bar Shop sitting at Fastenal I need to go pick up.

Back when I was in the machinery business I used Canada Post business service (Venture One) for most packages up to the weight limit. Beyond that, CanPar had an agent located in a small business in town that they would pick up at instead of paying extra for pickup at your door. For really large items I would call around to local LTL (less than truckload) transport companies to see if they had a truck going in the desired direction and had room for a small crate or skid. I would then drop it off at their truck terminal. I agree that shipping in Canada is expensive

I realize the thread is about shipping within Canada and I do not want to hi-jack it but I just have to ask about your import duties/fees/taxes from the USA. I truly do not understand how they work. I have sent a large amount of saws and parts to Canada (and 5 other continents) over the years and the consistent thing is all folks want them shipped USPS. They say it is to reduce or avoid duties but I am confused at how the shipping method affects duties. I can ship UPS much cheaper but apparently if I do the duties are much higher. I just looked and a 35lb box of saws/parts going to Winnipeg is $96.58 through UPS and close to $250 with USPS. I just shipped 70lbs of saws to Europe and it was around $225 UPS. They were there in 4 business days. I realize you folks do not control the duties nor shipping but why does it matter if it is shipped UPS or USPS?

For me it is not about duties or tax, the PO will charge me according to the value printed on the shipping invoice, the shipping companies kill me with their brokerage fee they are allowed to charge on top of the shipping charge, the value of the item on the shipping invoice plus any and all taxes and duties. As I have said before its that brokerage fee that is the deal breaker for me.

Shipping UPS across the border is costly at this end due to the charges UPS adds to the bill. I once had them try to add $50 brokerage plus taxes plus administration charges to produce the "proper" invoices, in triplicate, that are needed for the customs people.

For a hank of rope that was being shipped to me at no cost due to a manufacturing defect in the original item.

UPS is terrible around here. They often leave things at the end of our drive, over 300' from the house and out of sight. They do not even tell us that they have left it there.

Canada Post Small Business service is the best rate I have found if you can stay within the weight limits.

For me it is not about duties or tax, the PO will charge me according to the value printed on the shipping invoice, the shipping companies kill me with their brokerage fee they are allowed to charge on top of the shipping charge, the value of the item on the shipping invoice plus any and all taxes and duties. As I have said before its that brokerage fee that is the deal breaker for me.
That is why I have stuff shipped from the US to Canada using USPS, and if from other countries, using their postal system. The brokerage fees, are nothing more than legalized robbery, and can add a significant amount to the cost of the items.
If the seller isn't willing to send the item by USPS, then it isn't worth it, because there is almost always another seller that is willing to use the post office.

I realize the thread is about shipping within Canada and I do not want to hi-jack it but I just have to ask about your import duties/fees/taxes from the USA. I truly do not understand how they work. I have sent a large amount of saws and parts to Canada (and 5 other continents) over the years and the consistent thing is all folks want them shipped USPS. They say it is to reduce or avoid duties but I am confused at how the shipping method affects duties. I can ship UPS much cheaper but apparently if I do the duties are much higher. I just looked and a 35lb box of saws/parts going to Winnipeg is $96.58 through UPS and close to $250 with USPS. I just shipped 70lbs of saws to Europe and it was around $225 UPS. They were there in 4 business days. I realize you folks do not control the duties nor shipping but why does it matter if it is shipped UPS or USPS?
Just out of curiosity - do Europeans buy a lot of (work) saws from the States, as far as you know? I'm not talkin about collectors, but about saws to be used, possibly even ported or otherwise modified ones? I'm not inquiring about your personal business, but you might have a a more general idea about it.
At least here in Belgium or the Netherlands, I meet (up til now) literally nobody who's into serious modding, or buying 'specifically American' aftermarket parts, or modded saws. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people :) .

The guy from 'Guilty of treeson' visited Norway a while ago, and worked together with a young Norwegian logger/arborist for a couple of days. He brought him some stuff from the States, a bark box amongst others if I remember correctly. The guy was pretty ecstatic about that, because you can't find such parts here (Hyway etc. is sold here by a few webshops, and Farmertec stuff etc., but that's about it).

Case in point, I was considering buying a full wrap handle for the MS441 I'm working on now. Just want to try it out, whether I find it worth the extra bulkiness. Anyway, seems easy to find in the States, even OEM, here's it's a bit different and shipping it from the States is a bit cost prohibitive (the part by itself ain't exactly cheap either). As far as I know, the one for the 044/440, which you can find here as cheap AM part, doesn't fit.

That is why I have stuff sthe UShipped from the US to Canada using USPS, and if from other countries, using their postal system. The brokerage fees, are nothing more than legalized robbery, and can add a significant amount to the cost of the items.
If the seller isn't willing to send the item by USPS, then it isn't worth it, because there is almost always another seller that is willing to use the post office.
be aware that you can broker your own importations...most couriers give you this option. The paperwork really isn't too complicated. When I was getting started in importing from the US I sat down with a very helpful customs agent that went through the process and provided the necessary forms. That was a few years back though so it maybe all electronic filing now

Just out of curiosity - do Europeans buy a lot of (work) saws from the States, as far as you know? I'm not talkin about collectors, but about saws to be used, possibly even ported or otherwise modified ones? I'm not inquiring about your personal business, but you might have a a more general idea about it.
At least here in Belgium or the Netherlands, I meet (up til now) literally nobody who's into serious modding, or buying 'specifically American' aftermarket parts, or modded saws. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people :) .

The guy from 'Guilty of treeson' visited Norway a while ago, and worked together with a young Norwegian logger/arborist for a couple of days. He brought him some stuff from the States, a bark box amongst others if I remember correctly. The guy was pretty ecstatic about that, because you can't find such parts here (Hyway etc. is sold here by a few webshops, and Farmertec stuff etc., but that's about it).

Case in point, I was considering buying a full wrap handle for the MS441 I'm working on now. Just want to try it out, whether I find it worth the extra bulkiness. Anyway, seems easy to find in the States, even OEM, here's it's a bit different and shipping it from the States is a bit cost prohibitive (the part by itself ain't exactly cheap either). As far as I know, the one for the 044/440, which you can find here as cheap AM part, doesn't fit.
I have sent common saws and parts to many parts of Europe but not near as much today as 10 years ago. I think it all comes to exchange rates. About 5-6 years ago the Canada dollar was running at $0.60 per US dollar. At the time a man could have a resident in Canada purchase new Stihl heated handle saws that we could not get here and have them sent here for a reasonable price. I see the rate is about $0.74/US dollar now. It used to be the Euro was worth about $1.50 US dollars so they could buy here and save money. I looked at now it is $1.06.

That is why I have stuff shipped from the US to Canada using USPS, and if from other countries, using their postal system. The brokerage fees, are nothing more than legalized robbery, and can add a significant amount to the cost of the items.
I have no issues using USPS but they simply do not allow shipping of large boxes. Even at 30 pounds they are $130-$150 above UPS. I paid $30.70 to send a 1 lb package USPS. Now I actually paid it twice because they screwed up.

I have no issues using USPS but they simply do not allow shipping of large boxes. Even at 30 pounds they are $130-$150 above UPS. I paid $30.70 to send a 1 lb package USPS. Now I actually paid it twice because they screwed up.
I have never ordered something that heavy, and am disappointed to learn that weight is an issue. I haven't shipped anything through the Canada Post lately, but up until last year, I regularly received packages, shipped in Canada, weighing over 60 lbs. (They did complain at the Post Office, but when I wheeled my dolly in, that solved the problem)

be aware that you can broker your own importations...most couriers give you this option. The paperwork really isn't too complicated. When I was getting started in importing from the US I sat down with a very helpful customs agent that went through the process and provided the necessary forms. That was a few years back though so it maybe all electronic filing now
I was not aware of that, and I will definitely look into learning how to do this. Do you know what is required on the part of the shipper in the US?

I was not aware of that, and I will definitely look into learning how to do this. Do you know what is required on the part of the shipper in the US?
I want to be very clear I do not know how your customs works but when I ship out of the USA to Canada ( or any others) I print all three copies of the customs forms with declared value and seal them in a plastic envelope to the box next to the shipping label that is attached. What value does UPS/Purolator base the duties/taxes on? If the declared value is $100 then that is what it should be based on but once again I want to be clear I do not know and that is why I am asking. I want to make sure I help the next gentleman that I ship to.

Back