decent options for shipping saws within Canada?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a minimum charge on the article I got the last time (UPS). If I remember correctly, I paid approximately $25.00 for the item, and $25.00 brokerage. No duty on the item. The article was worth less than the brokerage. I was really pissed, so pissed that without me even opening my mouth, the driver started apologizing about the brokerage.
I was finally able to calm down enough to tell him that this was nothing more than legalized theft, and that the only reason I was accepting the part, this was one time that I couldn't do without it. He stated, that I could go to the office and argue about it. So, that would be to waste half a day, have an unpleasant conversation with an uncertain outcome, for a $25.00 part. Big win.
The one way I know that a person can avoid brokerage fees, is ship USPS from the US, where Canada Post asses any customs duty (normally nothing), or to have a shipping address in the US and manually bring it through Customs. I live on Vancouver Island, and the latter course of action is impractical.
I am going to do some reading. I know it is possible to act as my own broker in some instances.

Here is the "answer", but I don't know how practicable it is.
I don't know how that would work, because the goods always arrived at my door with the brokerage fee assessed by the shipping company.
---

How do I clear customs without a broker in Canada?

How do I self-clear? If your goods have arrived at a FedEx, UPS or DHL facility in Canada, you can self-clear the items by collecting some documents and making a trip to your local Customs office.
You must wait for the goods to arrive at the warehouse before you can self-clear.Jan 13, 2014

Brokering your own only makes sense of you have a local customs office, closest one for me is 1.5 hours from the house, the cost of fuel completely overrides any savings self brokering would create.
For me, it is a 25 minute drive each way.
I have been fairly lucky, in that most of the time, the USPS was a shipping option, and I have, on most occasions, been able to avoid having to use the other shippers. It never hurts to ask the seller, when I explain the problem to them, they have normally been very helpful.

usps/canadapost will a lot of times slide in under the radar for duties. So seller doesn’t feel pressured to fudge value or description of item. In all the countless times over 15 years I bought stuff from USA only 3-4 times I got charged fees. Which in most cases was just the hst (13% local tax) and a $5. Processing fee.
but now that eBay charges hst tax right at purchase in most cases. That is not much of an issue.
ups would charge the tax on everything and add a fee(s) like mentioned before- I’m sure they would double tax and claim ignorance. At least when a Canadian seller pays you the extra with usps we know what we are paying for upfront.
Via ups is like we know they are going charge us, but just how much are they going charge is always an unknown- and it’s always more than reasonable

Latest posts

Back