decisions, decisions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well santa was good to me this year and
i've got a "sherril gift certificate" burning a
hole in my pocket and i don't know what to
buy:rolleyes: any suggestions???????
here a quick inventory of my gear......
120' blue streak
50' high vee (christmas present)
150' 3 strand bull rope
buckingham saddle
cmi ascenders
petzel decender
2 petzel biners
cmi tender pulley
big shot
150' slick line
8 & 14 oz throw bag
what else do i need?????????
let me know.
budroe:cool:

ummmmmmmmmmm

I've spent close to $3K this year on gear. I wouldn't know where to start. How 'good' was Santa? What's our budget?

What are you using for a lanyard? I'd recommend an adjustable buckstrap type rope lanyard or even a 2-in-1 type (page 16 in Thee Book).
My absolute favorite climbing tool is my Pantin ankle ascender. I have no idea how I air-humped up so many trees for so many years without it.
MORE 'BINERS!! I like the Petzl Williams for my friction hitch and the Am'D for other uses. For rigging, those 50Kn steel screw locks are great for all your rigging needs. I went outside of Thee Book for lightweight cheapo biners for light rigging or other attachments. I think I paid about $5 each for non-locking 30Kn alum biners.
OK, I'm starting to get warmed up now. Getting into a shopping mode. Oooops, we done ran out of money about 6 lines back. :(

And I bought a figure eight a few months ago. Used it once for descending, it was NOT very smooth and it twisted the begeebers out of my rope. Tried a few times using it for a friction device for lowering limbs, and it sucked. None of the groundmen I work with will use it, and I prefer taking a wrap on the tree rather than messing with it. If you want one, mine will never be used again.

i've got a 6' adjustable buckstrap made
out of blue streak and plenty of 'biners.
what about a good climbing saw?????
treeman82- i've got the cmi climbing system,
no need for the patin;)

The Silky Zubat is the best seller and seems like a really nice saw. If I were going to do a lot of hand sawing, I might look at the Ibuki though. I saw one in NC and the blade is thicker than the Zubat. It is one wicked hand saw!
If I were ever to get a fixed blade handsaw, it would probably be the Ibuki. But I like my Super Accel and Gomboy folding saws since I don't like scabbards flopping off my saddle or strapped to my leg. If it's going to take more than 3-4 strokes with the handsaw, I'll use my chainsaw.

You should get one of our limited edition autographed (by Sean Larkin) catalogs. Usually we sell them for $149.99, but I could let it go for $100. :)

The arc of the Ibuki is to agressive for the teeth. I've had a few people tell me that they cannot use the whole saw, because it binds up in the curf. Why have a long saw if you cant use the hole blade. Also a straighter blade is better for hinge cuts.

And you don't have to take the piranah off the carab to load it up. I got one that hangs on my belt because it looks so cool. Unhooking my $.90 tress cord is such a PITA.

Last edited:
Sherrills has a decent selection of books and videos. The information will last longer than the equipment.

Joe

here's what i got.....

here's what i ended up getting.......

a 300mm silky gomboy folding saw

a 8 oz 6,000 lb tensil strenght pully

a couple 28kN petzl ball lock carabiners

plus shipping ate up that 100 gift certificate
in a hurry!!!!

i used the gomboy on a live oak prunning
job this morning and boy what a difference!!!!
how the heck have i been using that little
p.o.s. corona folding saw all this time??????

Latest posts

Back