Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have prefaced my first post by stating I am cutting up 8" lengths of firewood, or tree length stems sans top skidded out.
I would most certainly pick a 50cc saw for slicing and dicing tops on a landing.

Most of the wood I am cutting is hard maple with a little red oak and yellow birch thrown in. Most of the time the wood is frozen.
My 50cc saw is setup with a 16" bar and 3/8 72 LGX and the 70cc is setup the same. I do have 20 and 24" bars for the 70cc saw but I rarely use them for firewood.

EIGHT inch lengths of fire wood ???
man no wonder you want to get it done fast !! get a stove that holds 16 inch and cut your work in half !!

I am not doing any limbing. The biggest stick was maybe 20" most of it was around 16" or so.
And the 372 isnt better on gas it just cuts alot more on a tank.
And thats 8 foot sticks.
the logs are blocked up into 24" l.engths

Agreed, 1 tank in my big saws and I have a pickup load. Also I dont just cut 3to 16 inch wood like some. Why fart around with all small stuff you get alot more wood faster with big saws and big wood!

MO,,the original post was 16 in firewood..limited to that..
Now that tells me walking up to a tree,cutting it down,limbing,saving ,,not wasting anything,using everything you can put into the stove as usuall heat your house type of firewood cutter..

Now if big stuff was available and waste was NOT a concern,,well then diff story altogether...

so,stay within the parameters set by the original post even if the OP is not..
:)

I have tried 60cc saws and have owned both a 361 and a 360. IMO Neither was as handy as a 50 and neither had the jam of a 70. Kind of a bastad size IMO.

I love my 60cc saw it can do alot, just not aswell as a 50cc in smaller stuff or a 70cc in bigger. If someone only want one saw I would recommend a 60cc JMO

Last edited:
I am not doing any limbing. The biggest stick was maybe 20" most of it was around 16" or so.
And the 372 isnt better on gas it just cuts alot more on a tank.
And thats 8 foot sticks.
the logs are blocked up into 24" l.engths

:cry: WHY do things keep on changing ??????????????
remember ?? 16 in ?? firewood ?? didnt mention not even cutting the tree down or NOT limbing !!
why dont you just change it to 20 in logs sitting on the dock and be done with it ??
hell,,get out the excavator and drop em on the processor !! LOT less work !!
Diff story now..
i cant keep up with the changing plot..:(

70cc with 8 pin sprocket and a 20 inch bar is a great combo for 16 inch wood. Throw in some square ground chain and you'll be home before kick-off!

I'm working on a formula to figure the whole thing out. where; A=total amount of wood, t=time, L=bar length, s=engine size, w=weight of saw, and B=number of beers and breaks......bottom line is have fun and cut wood! :cheers:

I seem to recall Timberwolf posting that he gathers firewood with a ported 660 running a 9 or 10 pin! The disadvantage there is the sprockets are pricey and wear out quickly. (Sorry RonCoInc, I realize the 660 is outside the scope of the OP's question.)

MO,,the original post was 16 in firewood..limited to that..
Now that tells me walking up to a tree,cutting it down,limbing,saving ,,not wasting anything,using everything you can put into the stove as usuall heat your house type of firewood cutter..

Now if big stuff was available and waste was NOT a concern,,well then diff story altogether...

so,stay within the parameters set by the original post even if the OP is not..
:)

The post said AVERAGE wood of 16 in, if the average is 16 the small could be 6 and largest 24! Anyone who cuts firewood and dosent cut anything bigger than 16 inches would not be called the average firewood cutter ! IMO They would be called a camp fire wood cutter! LOL

The post said AVERAGE wood of 16 in, if the average is 16 the small could be 6 and largest 24! Anyone who cuts firewood and dosent cut anything bigger than 16 inches would not be called the average firewood cutter ! IMO They would be called a camp fire wood cutter! LOL

:cry: your correct !!
i sit here abashed and ashamed for all the wrongfull things i have said :(
xcuse me,,gotta bring in some "campfire" wood for the stove :(
this mean i get kicked out of the 'dolmar" gang ?? :cry:

I disagree with this.

I would say most homeowners cut 12'' and less for firewood with there box store saw of 50cc and less.

We are a small group of chainsaw addicts here!!!

Man,,what IS with you guys ???
a 70cc saw for 16 in wood ??

again,,16 in wood ??
i dont put down my modded ryobie untill i hit 16 inches !!
i have a 70cc saw and i AINT gonna pick that heavy thing up and down to cut 16 in firewood..
what is it with guys that think bigger is better ?? i can lift ten lbs more times than i can lift 20 lbs.. are you all built like Arnold ??
this big saw thing has gotten WAY out of hand..
go ahead and beat yourselves up and when you get old and grab that 50cc and see how nice it works in small wood you will wish you done it sooner..
now dont forget we are talking "firewood" here,, NOT comercial cutting..occasional use,heat the home,,live for another day and not kill yourself type of cutting in 16 in wood..
shoot,,why not just get one of those comercial big rigs that grab the whole tree and and whack it off at the bottom ?? then make a big pile next to the house and set it off ??
i waste not and want not,i cut and burn down to 3 in pieces,give me a small saw..
"my" opinion,,your milage may vary :)

Grab a 7900 or 372Xp and just blow through the log. It will put a smile on your face and make you want to do it again. Just for the H of it.
I was born in 1942. and I use a 50cc saw for limbs,:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I have to go with the 60cc to 70cc range. I used a small saw for too many loads of logs to want to go back to it. Might as well have been cutting wood with a bucksaw.:bowdown:

:cry: your correct !!
i sit here abashed and ashamed for all the wrongfull things i have said :(
xcuse me,,gotta bring in some "campfire" wood for the stove :(
this mean i get kicked out of the 'dolmar" gang ?? :cry:

Yes ! But that post got me laughing so you can still be in the gang!

Heck I dont even know if Im in the gang! LOL

Hey you can join my 60cc plus firewood gang ,I just posted it yesterday!

Hey Ill even change the name to 60cc plus firewood cutters and one camp fire wood cutter if you like!

Latest posts

Back