Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you have put me in charge of this decision willsaw!

Im going to say, if you dont heat with wood, or cut wood to sell, and if you cut less than 10 cord a yr , your just playing!

So theoretically someone could be a pretty hardcore wood cutter if they just cut 8-12'' tops with their 026 and maul and could go into the woods with only one saw, wedges, files, gas and oil?

After running my Husky 55 for the past 9 years or so as my only saw until this year, I can say that a 50cc saw will get 'er done on wood up to 30". That is, if you're just cutting for yourself. Been there, got the T shirt.

Now, if you're cutting more than just for yourself, then I think I'd probably go to a 60cc powerhead... more GO than the 50cc, but not quite as heavy.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 372, but I gotta admit that it is a bit of overkill for a firewood saw. But, I'm not letting go of it anytime soon ;) My 395 is just a symptom of CAD...:)

But, for the OP's question in 16" average wood, I'd go with a pro grade 50cc class saw, something like a Husky 357xp or 359 with an 18" bar if I were to be starting over again. And, SEMI-CHISEL chain. The full chisel is great when it's sharp, problem is, it doesn't stay that way very long it seems. I switched over to full chisel when I got the 372, and also put it on the 395. I now kinda wish I would have stayed with the semi-chisel. Over the course of the day, cutting firewood, I'm starting to think it gets more wood cut.

Id say I dont know how much I need to heat my home! And maybe I need a new home not a stove! LOL But I still say if you dont cut 10 cords a yr your playing!

Well you probably need 10+ cords if your burning cottonwood. LMAO!!!

Yeah full chisel sucks if it's your only saw and you're 1/2 mile back in the woods. A quick swipe keeps semi cutting great whereas chisel is harder to sharpen and goes dull much faster.
I can see chisel for production cutting where you have 3 big saws and get em all gassed and sharpened at once but if you just want to take a saw and cut some down trees on the property or whatever chisel is kind of impractical.

Yeah full chisel sucks if it's your only saw and you're 1/2 mile back in the woods. A quick swipe keeps semi cutting great whereas chisel is harder to sharpen and goes dull much faster.
I can see chisel for production cutting where you have 3 big saws and get em all gassed and sharpened at once but if you just want to take a saw and cut some down trees on the property or whatever chisel is kind of impractical.

:agree2:

10 cords a year isn't much. I burn 4-6 and sell 3-5 a year, not including the 8 I did for my boss.
Keep in mind I split that 10 cords with a maul after I cut it so the sawin is the easy part. Even with the atv and cart I have now my 254 with a sharp chain will outcut the rest of the process. 10 minutes of cutting 15 minutes of splitting and an hour later I have a face cord pulled out of the woods and stacked.

10 cords a year isn't much. I burn 4-6 and sell 3-5 a year, not including the 8 I did for my boss.
Keep in mind I split that 10 cords with a maul after I cut it so the sawin is the easy part. Even with the atv and cart I have now my 254 with a sharp chain will outcut the rest of the process. 10 minutes of cutting 15 minutes of splitting and an hour later I have a face cord pulled out of the woods and stacked.

I didnt think 10 cords a yr was out of line. :cheers:

I think the underlining question here is which 50cc or 70cc saw should it be?
Ill throw out a couple like......

346xp vs 260 vs 5100 for the 50cc

372xp vs ms 460 vs ms 441 for the 70cc

whats your guy's thoughts?

Back