Definition of "Bad Gas"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmosabi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
You see on here, ebay and other places about running bad gas through a saw. Im not talking about running straight gas, thats just kinda numb. I guess I am referring to "old mix". I know after you make the mix, you should use it pretty soon thereafter. my question is: how soon? If I make a mix should I use it within a week? Month? what does everyone think?

A small engine tech I know said after 1 month the octane began to drop, and the gas degrade. Then again I use 6mo old fuel mix in old saws, they seem to like it ok. If it smells like gas and not paint thinner (stale) I'll use it. I worry more about winter gas with ethanol in it. Best for the saw? 1 month IMO.

Go to the local airport and get a few gallon of Aviation Fuel. Its lasts months and months. I have seen some of it 5 years old in a fuel tank and it didnt smell bad or appear gummy. It is my experience that it simply evaporates without leaving near as much harmful tar like residue as auto fuel does. The reasons for this are simple, there are less low quality crude products in avgas. Avgas is more like propane and less like diesel fuel than autogas.

Hello,

the only drawback of aviation fuel 100LL is IMHO the lead content. There are no valves in a 2 stroke to lubricate and the user is way closer to the exhaust gas on a saw than in a plane.

Best regards
Christian

If I'm not mistaken, 2-cycle oil has fuel stabilizer in it to help keep the fuel fresh. I don't remember where I heard this from though.

I heard theat Av gas burns at higher temps than auto gas, so the engines dont freeze at high altitudes. If so I would not use it.

I run 93 octane in my mix and have had no problems.I make sure I dont go more than a month and a half tops on the batch.The oil I use Echo 50.1 ,has stabilizer in it already.Aviation fuel 100 low lead runs well also,Ive also used octane booster with some success,however it leaves a residue on the plugs.

keith c raymond said:
Is that how you people in Canada welcome spring?

Geez we are still covered in a whole bunch of snow up here !

Thats got to be down under somewhere Australia , New-Zealand or somewhere like that.

My definition of bad gas usually involves overindulgence in chile, or lunch topped with fire sauce from Taco Bell. How does this relate to chainsaws again?

broccoli, cucumber, Guinness beer...

all in one meal of course!

On a serious note, my 359 is finicky on any mix over about 4-6 weeks old. Starting is harder, so I make a point of just putting any little bit of old mix in the beater pickup and starting fresh if I have any leftover mix.

Many states have different gas formulations. California switched to gas with MTBE(mistake!) to reduce emissions. I was told that it started to break down in about four weeks. If I have old mix or even just suspect mix I pour it into my beater Chevy truck and mix a new batch. Fortunately, business is steady and mix gets used quick.

Back