Definition of the Cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cord only OCCUPIES 128 cu. ft. of space. Actual wood volume, from the many different sources I've read, are 80-90 cu. ft.

And yes, there is 12bf per cf, but then you gotta factor in kerf and bark and fart space :msp_biggrin:

Well the bark is gone when they are sawing it up and sure you would lose some to kerf, but not half. I'm not postive but I'm pretty sure in a mill you loose 1/8" per kerf. Spread out over a cubic foot you'd lose 1.25". So then you are down to 10.75 bf per cube.

I would say 10% loss is to air is pretty acceptable when the wood is stacked. Split and stacked well, defintetly less. I'd be losing my ass is if I was giving a free cord for every 3 I put on the truck. It just doesn't work that way.

This is one of those you could go on forever. I'll stick with what I get paid for.

considering I don't know, I sure as heck should have stayed out of it.

Thats the fun of these type of threads. Its mostly BS! I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Sounded right to me though. Regardless of a solid 80-90 cube wood block a cord is 4x4x8 with minimal air space. The air space is included in the cord. There are no fractions or decimals or precise numbers. Its like hands for measuring horses or bra sizes. Now how many feet in a rod or a league?

Cord

If a Cord in 128 Cubic feet. How much is a string of wood? Or better yet how much is a cable of wood? Or maybe a chain of wood?

I have been blessed by being a smart ass!!!:cheers:

If a Cord in 128 Cubic feet. How much is a string of wood? Or better yet how much is a cable of wood? Or maybe a chain of wood?

I have been blessed by being a smart ass!!!:cheers:

1 string of wood = .467 cord
1 cable of wood = 1 .294 cord
1 chain of wood = 1.77 cord

ones you forgot
1 choker of wood = .78 cord
1 hand of wood = usually promised by the seller as between 8-10 inches but is usually about 5-6 upon delivery

how's that for smartassed :hmm3grin2orange:

1 standard cord = 128 cu. ft.
1 cord (wood) ~ 90 cu. ft.
1 cu. ft. ~ 5.79 boardfeet

1 cord (wood) ~ 520 boardfeet

Ok, thanks.

I need to convert that to metrics just to get a picture:

1 standard cord (wood+air+bark+fart) = 3,6 cubic meters
1 cord wood = 2,5 cubic meters (approx.)
1 cubic meter = 0,16 board feet (approx.)

I'll make a note by my desk, so I'll be able to follow the stories here.

Where is the 90 cubic feet coming from? I mean how are you figuring that? There is no way there is a 30% loss for air. No matter how you slice it 128 cubic feet is a cord. You just need more than that to get you there. Also I don't mean to turn this into a math equation, but 1 cubic foot equals 12 board feet. A board foot is 1" x 12" x 12". So in a cubic foot you have 12" x 12" x 12"= 12 bf. 12 bf x 128 cubic feet (volume of cord) = 1536 bf.
1 cubic foot DOESN'T equal 12 board feet. Don't feel bad though, this is a common mistake. In real life it comes in around 4-8 bf per cubic foot. Board foot scaling systems have kerf allowances that are based off of old milling technology(100+ years ago).

A cord is the amount of stacked wood(split or rounds) that fits in 128 cubic feet. There is no exact conversion because not all wood rounds are the same size. Forestryworks is right when he says around 80-90 cubic feet.

Remember a cord and a board foot are not actual measures of volumes, they are approximations. This why you cannot do simple conversions with them.

1 cubic foot DOESN'T equal 12 board feet. Don't feel bad though, this is a common mistake. In real life it comes in around 4-8 bf per cubic foot. Board foot scaling systems have kerf allowances that are based off of old milling technology(100+ years ago).

A cord is the amount of stacked wood(split or rounds) that fits in 128 cubic feet. There is no exact conversion because not all wood rounds are the same size. Forestryworks is right when he says around 80-90 cubic feet.

Remember a cord and a board foot are not actual measures of volumes, they are approximations. This why you cannot do simple conversions with them.

Pretty sure I said that about arbitrary measurements around post 23. A cord is 4x4x8 with minimal air space. The actual board footage is whatever the mill wants to pay that day.

And yall ain't even got to the rick and facecord yet.They beat this horse pretty regular on the firewood forum, and it's always lots of fun!:smile2:

....haven't yet got to the Canadian Cord, or the Bush Cord, the infinite variations of the Face Cord ( who's face ? how long ? ).
Then we have the famous Rick, the Bed-of-My-Pickup-Cord, a Thrown Cord,.............

The sad thing is everyone believes that their ersatz cord is the right one.

In Maine the cord was standard as 4' rounds of pulpwood: a "pile" or "stack" measuring 4' X 4" X 8'. It's been weight measured for decades, sold at the mill green.

Ready for a drink ? This can drive you to ___.

Pretty sure I said that about arbitrary measurements around post 23. A cord is 4x4x8 with minimal air space. The actual board footage is whatever the mill wants to pay that day.

Now I finally got it!

Buying Firewood? Don't Get Burned - Measurement Canada

In Ontario when you buy a fuel wood permit, you pay the OMNR By the "bush cord" you will be removing from the land. A "bush cord" is an illegal unit of measure in Canada.

The cheapest fuel wood permit you can purches is $30 for 6.443m3 of wood. But, because most weekend wood gatherers don't know what 6.443m3 of wood looks like, they have a bush cord to cubic meters conversion chart that the office uses to charge you the apropreate amount.

Does that make sense to any of you?
Spend $30 and cut as much as you want seams to be the going practice around here.

Back