Detailed log lift plans for splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsered630

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok age is starting to take its toll, time to add a lift onto the old splitter. Does anybody have or know where I can get some detailed plans to make a simple hydraulic log lift? It's a homemade splitter set on an I-beam platform. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of pic around the forum but I have never seen any thing in a complete spec package, likely because everything is unique to that particular build. I can tell you that 1/4"line is all you need to and from the cylinder if hydro and that you likely need a restrictor ( fitting that is plugged internally with an 1/8" or so hole drilled through the plug ) other wise it operates too fast. some have used dc winches, the $50 kind if you have electric available on your rig, and some have rigged up small jib cranes ( an Idea I like, nothing sticking out down low to trip or bust shins on) with that though you need a set of tongs or something to pick the round.

Typically log lifts are hydraulicly operated because hydraulics are already available but the hydraulics needed are quite expensive. With a little engineering an electric winch or even a hand winch can be used to activate the log lift at a fraction of the cost of the hydraulic components.

Build the log lift arm the same as if it was hydraulically operated then extend an arm horizontally out from the beam near the front of the ram. Attach an electric or manual winch to the end of the arm to lift the front of the log lift.

Attached is as pic of a very simple but effective non-hydraulic log lift. Built by AS member, jags

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154186&d=1287159379

That looks like it would work. We had one, hydraulic, worked well but the table/place where you roll the round on got in the way of normal splitting. Limiter valves are inexpensive ways to control the flow.

The electric winch might be a good option for me if I can get the motor set-up for it. Thanks for the pic. Cuttin 36"+ oak next week so I need to get something soon.

That looks like a really good cost effective solution. I was hoping one day to see a log lift that used the power of the splitting cylinder to raise and lower the log lift table but am still searching. With so much power so close by it would be great to be able to harness it to lift wood.

I had plans in my head on how to make that happen, but decided that I did not want the lift portion to be cycling up and down with every stroke of the ram. It would have ran via cables and pulleys from the back of the push wedge (clipped onto it), then basically through a couple pulleys and over an arm (much like the one I have the winch hooked to). If you disconnect the cable from the lift, it would be at ground level, and to mess with a "lock" system to keep the table up (if wanted) was gonna be a PIA.

Hence my current design.

As far as power goes - no doubt the hydraulic ram has more, but the 1500# winch has never struggled, even with some very big rounds.

Our hydraulic lift had #4 JIC connections, so the inside diameter of the line was around a quarter inch. The cylinder was from a reaper/swather, 1 1/2" by 2", maybe a 20" stroke. It lifted a 48" round two ft wide of wet elm. At 1500 lbs, you'd be better off splitting it once or noodling it with the saw rather than try to lift it, with any from of lift.

The only thing that can to mind was a table going up and down every-time the ram went out to split. On second thought though, a coupling system that could be engaged at will to the ram for the lift function is not that far out of line. A simple bell crank system could be fabricated to make your out feed table double up as a lift utilizing the return stroke, An auto latch to hold the raised position of table could also be incorporated.

The only thing that can to mind was a table going up and down every-time the ram went out to split. On second thought though, a coupling system that could be engaged at will to the ram for the lift function is not that far out of line. A simple bell crank system could be fabricated to make your out feed table double up as a lift utilizing the return stroke, An auto latch to hold the raised position of table could also be incorporated.

How is that simpler than another valve?

If you use the search function with a simple search such as ,,,log lift, or...loglift, you come up with several days worth of reading and numerious ideas,,,pick one ya like or if you come up with a novel idea, post it up, with pic's

"how is that simpler than another valve"

No extra valve or cylinder needed. If you use a long arm on the bell crank to ride the backside of the push plate/wedge assembly, the return stroke of the ram will force it down , conversely the other side of the bell crank causes lift. Have to return the ram to home position anyway to start another split cycle. Being able to couple or un-clouple this at will is the key. A latch is needed to hold table in up posistion which can be incorporated into or on the long arm, maybe a spring loaded pin making it an automatic function. or just a siding bar on a lever to lock /unlock table. Location of latch should be be convenient to the ram control valve just for ergonomics. By using the out-feed table in this manner, nothing under foot to trip on and would not tie up either side access to the splitting area.

Ok age is starting to take its toll, time to add a lift onto the old splitter. Does anybody have or know where I can get some detailed plans to make a simple hydraulic log lift? It's a homemade splitter set on an I-beam platform. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Or, scrap the idea of that type of log lift and build a swiveling boom lift run with a winch. I built a boom lift on my splitter and I think it is handier than a log lift that IMHO is too restrictive.
(You have to roll the rounds to the splitter and you are restricted by working off one side of the splitter.)

Vertical splitter, which at one time mine was vert/horz. Tried that once rounds were 30" dia. That was more work and harder on me than noodling them down and splitting horz. Maybe I didn't approach it correctly?

Horizontal vs vertical devotees are staunch in their opinions and I respect that.

We use a 1970's horizontal Didier - splitter beam sits about 12" off the ground. Ugh some will say - too low! Well, we sit in lawn chairs when splitting. :)

However, I am looking into raising our splitter and since hubby doesn't necessarily remember how to weld (dang! he was a certified welder at one time) I'm looking into simply jacking up the splitter and putting cement blocks under it. The main reason for raising it up means I can back up our trailer to the end of the splitter and have splits just drop right into our trailer - less bending to pick up splits, etc. Age has it detriments - repetitive bending is not a recommended activity! :)

So, while I love Jags lift design and will continue to look into how I can get something like this fabbed up (welded) the outlook seems dim in this respect. If I could figure out if simply bolting pieces of metal together would work I know I could cut the square tube stock & drill/bolt it. This idea would require multiple drilled holes through the splitter beam and I'm not sure if drilling the beam is a good idea or not. (Anyone have thoughts on drilling the beam? I figure 4 holes (2 each) for the two pillow blocks/hinge area and at least 2 more for the upright winch support.

In the meantime, I'm also looking at this hydraulic table from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-scissor-table-cart-93116.html Yes, the table is still 12" above the ground but it raises to 34-1/2". I would gain work table space at the same time the table would fit to whatever height I raise the splitter and would then be able to drop splits right into our trailer.

So, I'm thinking/planning about how to make splitting a little easier for us - we are not getting any younger! :)

Shari

Shari - in my opinion, I wouldn't be too concerned about drilling a couple of holes in the beam. You will not weaken it with 4 half inch holes.

Jerry,

What a generous offer! Might take you up on that - problem right now is splitter is parked, covered, in a snow-inaccessible location right now. I've got some parts. We will talk....... :)

Shari

Back