Detailed log lift plans for splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shari,

Hook us up with picture of your, ah...ah..ah, :blush:, splitter.
It'll help get the creative juices going...:blush:

Shari has a Didler and yes that thing is about as close to the ground as you can get. Right now she has about 3 ft of snow on it from Mother natures visitation Feb 5-7th. Although by the end of the week might be nothing there snow wise ( heat wave). About eight weeks yet before we are clear of her wrath for the season. Hey Sheri did you have to dig tunnels to the wood pile? That Northeast wind must have stacked some purty good piles around your place.I spent the whole weekend moving snow away from the house due to the melt down this week. ( same orientation house wise. Chris

Blades is correct but the snow is/was around 4' deep. :) It took me around 1-1/2 hours with our snowblower attached to our riding mower just to clear a 4' deep drift by 24' x 15' in front of our garage door. Another 2+ hours and the drive/sidewalk was finally cleared. Luckily I had brought a shovel in side the house the night before as I did need it to shovel my way 'out' of the house. Blades is also correct in that I can't get to it right now. :)

Anyway, here's some older photos members might recognize which I posted when I first came to AS looking for direction on how to put the splitter back together after other people took it apart.

Obviously it is now all back together and has been working wonderfully for at least 2 yrs. I did replace the hyd. flex hoses from what is seen in the photos.

P1010070.jpg

P1010079.jpg

In a perfect world I would just sell this and put that money to wards a new splitter - but the world is not perfect and things like medicals bills, municipal sewer installation and a new roof have taken precedence over a new splitter. :)

BTW As far as parts: I already have cement blocks to put this on to raise it. Also already have a 1700# Warn winch - something like Jags is using - and have a cargo carrier that fits into a Reese receiver to be used for material for a lift if needed.

Shari

One thing that you will need to be thinking about with a log lift is side pressure. I get away with lifting large logs because the splitter has about a 5ft wide stance and is very heavy. You have a narrow stance and the splitter is comparably lighter. Just say'in.

(an out rigger type foot would cure that issue - so it is not something that cannot be worked out, just something that will need to be taken into consideration)

One thing that you will need to be thinking about with a log lift is side pressure. I get away with lifting large logs because the splitter has about a 5ft wide stance and is very heavy. You have a narrow stance and the splitter is comparably lighter. Just say'in.

(an out rigger type foot would cure that issue - so it is not something that cannot be worked out, just something that will need to be taken into consideration)

If the final design is something like yours do you think an outrigger down from the vertical shaft supporting the winch be sufficient? I do tend to be working with rounds 24-33+ inches in diameter most times (or at least is seems like that at the end of the day. :) )

Shari

For those of you using a winch, how do you recharge the battery? How many lifts can you get the a standard auto battery?

Thanks,

Al

ETA: Saw in the NRA magazine last night that HF has their 3k lb winch for $49; that's a pretty good deal.

For those of you using a winch, how do you recharge the battery? How many lifts can you get the a standard auto battery?

Not sure about an auto battery, I use a standard deep cycle. I don't know how many lifts I can get out of it. I have never wore it out in a day. It gets recharged with a battery charger, but if your engine has a charging circuit, it could be handled on board. Mine has a charging circuit, but I have been too lazy to hook up the voltage regulator. It really is a non issue to me. The only thing that will change my mind is if I get on the ball and hook up the flood lights, then I will probably go with the on board charging.

Shari I had a splitter like your back in 1985 or so. I would dig holes to drop the back tires into....and the I-Beam sat right on the ground. This made it easy to roll large rounds onto it. We used it like this for years to bust large rounds then would split the chunks from it on another larger splitter with a 4 way wedge. I still have the large splitter to this day.

Well, now, that is Yankee ingenuity at it's best! :)

The only problem I would have is that set up doesn't drop the splits into the trailer - but - it's still a neat idea!

Shari

i am

toying with a lift powered by the retracting ram hooked up via cable to pull the lift up. its currently a vertical/horizontal 22 ton. i know cables slip off pulleys so i was considering using a motorcycle chain and sprocket instead of cable and pulley. am also thinking to make it removable so i retain the vertical option. anyone ever tried that? i have to pay to get my fabrication done still skill set not up to it yet

toying with a lift powered by the retracting ram hooked up via cable to pull the lift up. its currently a vertical/horizontal 22 ton. i know cables slip off pulleys so i was considering using a motorcycle chain and sprocket instead of cable and pulley. am also thinking to make it removable so i retain the vertical option. anyone ever tried that? i have to pay to get my fabrication done still skill set not up to it yet

It would be very difficult to do with a chain like you are thinking. Chains are uni-directional (meaning that they don't do direction changes like corners). The lift is at a 90 degree position from the forward/backwards motion of the ram. No way to take a single chain and make it change direction without levers. A cable will.
(I hope that makes sense.)

EDIT: That post sucked. How about this - you need to be able to "lift" the table. The table is 90 degrees off of your forward/reverse motion. You will need 3 turns in the chain - from push plate back - 90 degrees to side - and another 90 degrees down (to the table) . a chain has to stay in the same "Plane" so the 90 degree downturn wouldn't happen.

(still sucks - but maybe a little better)

Last edited:
I've thought about using a cable powered by the ram as a log lift as well... I haven't gotten to the point of actually designing anything to work with the splitter that I have yet. I think you could mitigate, if not eliminate, the problem with cables jumping pulleys by putting guides/guards on the pulleys? What comes to mind, for lack of a better example of what I'm talking about, is the sheet metal guards on the deck of a riding mower that keeps the belt in the pulleys when the "clutch" is disengaged. JMHO...

If there is anyone in eastern Pa interested in building a lift and table for a tw-6 id be all ears. Just got another quote from the dealer at 500 for the table and 950 for the lift plus 100 for shipping. For that coin I might as well buy a second smaller one and bury it most of the way in the ground like suggested earlier!

Places like Cabelas or Sportsmans Guide sell cable lifts for lifting game into a truck using your ball hitch. I think I may try to pursue something like this as I have neither the tools or ability to weld.

log lift boom

To Suz , Do you have any pics of your boom to share with us ? I'm quite interested in this approach . Thanks , John

Thought about buying this and mounting to the splitter or a concrete pad in the splitting area. It would be handy on a reciever hitch setup but it would probably have to have an outrigger.

1/2 Ton Capacity Pickup Truck Crane with Cable Winch

I found a Hiab off a brick truck I cant wait to get it mounted and running 2600lb capacity at 16 foot reach bring it on big wood.

Back