Diagnose an 028 symptom; I think it's ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torquey Todd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've learned from many on here about this. I hope Fish reads this, because I've seen posts about 028s and ignitions from him.

The saw is an 028WB. Tillotson carb -- replaced all gaskets and diaphragms correctly, lever is right, passages are clear. Cylinder smooth, good compression. Good fuel, new fuel line, good pickup body, good intake boot, fuel system holds vacuum. Replaced old Stihl tank vent assembly with functional check valve, tested: no potential vapor lock. All ignition (it's a points one) parts are clean, all connections are good, the coil is properly spaced. Plug is new; saw has good spark when cold.

The symptom: saw starts easily, idles well, runs with great power for ca. 3 minutes. At 3 minutes, I'd say it like this: power becomes intermittent. No surging or racing. No "running away from its fuel." And no progressive deterioration of power. Just an abrupt arrival to a point where the saw goes-coasts-goes-goes-coasts-goes. I think I can diagnose a crankcase air leak, and this isn't like that: I can richen the mixture, and when I do, the saw can four-stroke consistently when it's going, and coast when it isn't. I can emulate the symptom by flipping the kill switch on and off. My inductive tach shows more rapidly varying RPM than what I think the RPMs are doing, by ear, when the symptom arrives. Symptom is still there if I let it cool for a minute. If I let it cool for longer, it takes longer for the symptom to return.

So I believe it's heat and ignition related.

My diagnosis is that the coil is shot because I can understand how heat could cause the coil to start grounding. I wanted to bounce this off others with experience to see if there were other diagnoses, or if anyone knows some ignition-test tricks offhand before I just swap it out. I don't have any understanding of how the points or condenser could induce a failure only when the saw is hot. Can that happen?

If I bet on my diagnosis and put a new coil on, and it isn't a remedy, then I suppose I'll have a new coil to donate to someone else as thanks. If I understand Fish's posts, then I can put an electronic-ignition coil on this saw despite the physical differences between the original and EI coils.

Thanks dudes.

Yes, that would be my bet. Get a good used coil off of an 029/ms290, or similar models, snip the wire to the points, hook up the kill wire,
mount with a business card, and it is done.

The electronic module only removes the points from the equation, not the actual coil itself. Your going to order a new coil and be happy, happy, happy!

Nice trouble shooting by the way... most need extra help to find it.

Thank you

Thanks, I hoped this would sound right to those who've seen the symptom.

Is it better to get a used Stihl part, or is it just as good to get a no-name unit if domestic?

Want to sell me one?

Is it better to get a used Stihl part, or is it just as good to get a no-name unit if domestic?

Not sure if a domestic aftermarket one exists. I would doubt it. Get yourself a decent used one. As long as the seller is reputable, I wouldn't see any issue.

Just did this to an old 028wb about a month ago. Starts and runs better then ever. Used an 029 coil that was on the shelf.
Only mine would start to mess up after about 1 minute at most.
Give Fish a pm he'll fix you up.
Biggest plus? No more points.

Then just snip the wires going to the points, mount the new coil using a business card for gap. You will need to get a spade terminal to fit the coil for the kill wire, tighten it down and go cut wood!View attachment 278992

Tried to Rep ya' but I need to spread some.

I think you closer then ya' think :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well we can at least canonize you

Fish,

I received the coil. I installed it following your instructions. I removed the points because I could. The issue is resolved and the saw runs flawlessly.

All threads about saw problems should go like this.

THANKS!

Send Fish a PM, he will fix you right up with one.

Even though the OP already has the problem resolved, just wanted to throw in that the above quote is quite correct. Shortly after I started posting here I posted a (much more poorly worded) question about the 028 ignition. Fish told me what to check, how to repair it, and was able to provide the parts on the cheap. He's a great guy to deal with.

dd

PS - Fish, I'll put in a good word for ya when I say my prayers tonight.

Latest posts

Back