diamond saw chain for cutting concrete?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 1' piece of concrete I need to trim off my existing porch pad.

I have an old chainsaw, 14" bar 3/8 LP

I was hoping to rig up a water line and buy some concrete capable diamond chain.

Unfortunately I can only find chain marked for "ICS Model 6XX", but none of those listing indicated what bar / chain size (like .050 3/8).

Ebay was unsuccessfull as well.

I'd use search but this site is broken again

any pointers on where I can get some chain? If it's other than .050 I'd need to buy a bar, which I'm OK with if it comes in a kit.

Google isn't help me much on this one

Get a quote from a concrete cutting company. Diamond bar and chain runs between $800-&1000.

It would be cheaper to rent a concrete saw or pay someone else to cut it. The chainsaw chain that cuts concrete is very, very expensive-6-7 hundred bucks and the bar is 3 hundred. Your saw is too small if it takes lp, a 460 rock boss is what you want.

Odds are you could rent a concrete saw from a tool rental place for less than a diamond chain would cost, do a better job, and not gunk up your saw with concrete dust.

Consider renting a Husqvarna Cut & Break saw (K3000 electric or K760 Gas). Gives you a nice 14" cutting depth, and the electric model is a pleasure to use.

There are some rental companies that rent the concrete chain saws. From what I read and hear, they probably sell the chain and rent the saw. Chains aren't cheap, however.

Sometimes..well a lot of times.. for one off specialty work it is just better to hire the appropriate tradesman, the guy who already has the tools.

Here is an example

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/244951.htm

Harry homeowner has now created a nasty hazard tree, instead of paying someone who knows what they are doing 50 or less most likely bucks to get it on the ground before they goobered up that cut.

Not saying that cutting that concrete would create a hazard,(just a handy recent reference to show my point kinda sorta) but there are guys equipped to do that concrete cutting work, do it all day long, have the tools and experience, a few calls, someone already working nearby, one cut..meh..pay the man, get on with your project.

How thick is it. A 14" cconcrete saw with cut right at 5" depth. Most rental places will rent these out for 50-100 bucks.

They measure the diamond wheel and remeasure when you return it and charge you depending on how much you used on the blade.

If I was there I'd do it for 100 bucks if it was a warm bam easy job

Depending on how long the cut is 100 bucks would cover the blade, but I tend to buy better blades and run them hard....I am in Reading PA let me know if i can help

Get a quote from a concrete cutting company. Diamond bar and chain runs between $800-&1000.

I agree, the company I work for has one of the ics saws, and if I remember correctly the cutting chain alone is around $1000.
much better to rent one or hire the job out.

sounds like a short cut.

yeah 1 bucks is a cheap blade.

gota use water and get more life out of the blades I try do minimal try cutting. ill also ping the blade when it stops cutting and this helps rough the cutting surface back up

Back