Did I buy a stolen chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssx3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a chainsaw on craisglist a few weeks ago. Few days after I bought the saw, i have to bring it to the mechanic because the saw stalls when idling. The mechanic calls me a week later and tells me he has to change the carburetor, and more importantly he tells me the serial number tag was removed. He says he was still able to obtain the serial number by accessing the chainsaws computer. He finds it weird because the database says the saw is unregistered. Does it mean the saw I bought was stolen? What else could it be? thanks
the saw is a husqvarna 562xp

Something about removal of tags after warrenty service is tickling my brain. Like a blown cylinder and the whole saw is replaced so the manufacture asks the dealer for the tags back. I have read of something like that on here but don't have a personal experience to share.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. If it was reported stolen the dealer should have been able to tell you through a search like the one they did for your parts. Or Atleast that's my understanding of how stolen equipment is reported.

Regards-Carlo

Yeah its odd that the tag is removed. Usually that means it was stolen. They just don't fall off during normal ops.

Some dealers have a list of reported stolen items but that list is usually only local. I think honda has a large database.

I would keep the name and # of the guy off Craigslist just in case something comes up. Did he seem shady? What history did he give?

Something about removal of tags after warrenty service is tickling my brain. Like a blown cylinder and the whole saw is replaced so the manufacture asks the dealer for the tags back. I have read of something like that on here but don't have a personal experience to share.
I've heard of this as well.

Yeah its odd that the tag is removed. Usually that means it was stolen. They just don't fall off during normal ops.

Some dealers have a list of reported stolen items but that list is usually only local. I think honda has a large database.

I would keep the name and # of the guy off Craigslist just in case something comes up. Did he seem shady? What history did he give?
He told me he bought the chainsaw new and he only used it at his vacation home to clean stuff around. He also told me he had never changed 1 part. I think it is a lie because the mechanic told me the saw has over 600 hours....

I've heard of this as well.
It don't think it could be this. The mechanic told me that the saw would have been registered if it was once under warranty. They are registered once the warranty begins.
What should i do? call the police or call the guy to get my money back? I don't want to own a stolen saw, if something happen someone could accuse me of stealing it myself

At this point it's only stolen if it is listed stolen. An unregistered saw stolen from a dealership or private owner would still have a serial number recorded from sales records and would show up in the database if it was reported.

If by registered you mean the owner sends in the registration card after purchase I wouldn't be too worried. I never do that with any of my saws. You certainly could ask the seller what the story is.

Seller is clearly unreliable if he already Lied about the amount of usage.

If by registered you mean the owner sends in the registration card after purchase I wouldn't be too worried. I never do that with any of my saws. You certainly could ask the seller what the story is.
By register I mean it has never been under warranty like if it was never purchased

I suppose one scenario might be, what you could call a "frankensaw". A bunch of pieces and parts left over from repairs, still good, but officially, they got scrapped out. All you have to do is remove the plate, switch the computer module out for one that's unregistered, and New Saw!

Now, most manufactures know repair people do this, they make a frankensaw for personal use, shop use, a loaner, whatever. Strike the serial plate off of it, etch a few of the key parts to say "scrap", then make damned sure you don't sell it. Or that anyone you give it to knows not to sell it. Because if some crazy pile of parts ends up on the bench of some other repair monkey, and they've got a seemingly legit serial number on something, warranty claims is probably gonna freak.

For instance, Peg Pergo makes these little electric cars, that 5-12 year old little monsters drive around and bash into things. A tech I knew got talked into servicing these things, and they were desperate enough to pay standard 1 hour repair rates, because shipping on the things would've been a nightmare. Prices on parts had to be just about what the factory paid. Cheap lead cells, cheap motors, high current rocker switches, heavy gauge wire, all sorts of cool pieces and parts.

Of course, they were BULKY pieces and parts, and scrapping out a chassis filled 1/3rd of a dumpster. But, once in a blue moon, someones grandkids would want one. So, why not make it so non-standard, that it's obvious the damned thing is a chop shop special. 18 volts driving the motors instead of 12, heatsink fins on the motors, 2 motors per gearpack, an insane amount of epoxy, halogen headlights, a real car horn, and the battery compartment just crammed. Required a very non-standard charger as well. (24v 10 amp)

Maybe did 3 of em with crazy mods, and the rule was, once it fried, or got done being used, it goes it the dumpster, it doesn't get sold in a yardsale, unless you wanna get sued.

Similar thing with various other electronics. Car stereos, S-VHS edit decks, Aiwa all in ones. Remove the serial numbers, permanent marker saying "loaner", "shop use only", "Scrap", etc. somewhere on the back, or underside of the unit.

Just about every repair field I know of had something that was officially scrapped, but in daily use. Course, if it's not marked, someone "borrows" it, and then pawns it/sells it on craigslist, then there's problems.

I suppose one scenario might be, what you could call a "frankensaw". A bunch of pieces and parts left over from repairs, still good, but officially, they got scrapped out. All you have to do is remove the plate, switch the computer module out for one that's unregistered, and New Saw!

Now, most manufactures know repair people do this, they make a frankensaw for personal use, shop use, a loaner, whatever. Strike the serial plate off of it, etch a few of the key parts to say "scrap", then make damned sure you don't sell it. Or that anyone you give it to knows not to sell it. Because if some crazy pile of parts ends up on the bench of some other repair monkey, and they've got a seemingly legit serial number on something, warranty claims is probably gonna freak.

For instance, Peg Pergo makes these little electric cars, that 5-12 year old little monsters drive around and bash into things. A tech I knew got talked into servicing these things, and they were desperate enough to pay standard 1 hour repair rates, because shipping on the things would've been a nightmare. Prices on parts had to be just about what the factory paid. Cheap lead cells, cheap motors, high current rocker switches, heavy gauge wire, all sorts of cool pieces and parts.

Of course, they were BULKY pieces and parts, and scrapping out a chassis filled 1/3rd of a dumpster. But, once in a blue moon, someones grandkids would want one. So, why not make it so non-standard, that it's obvious the damned thing is a chop shop special. 18 volts driving the motors instead of 12, heatsink fins on the motors, 2 motors per gearpack, an insane amount of epoxy, halogen headlights, a real car horn, and the battery compartment just crammed. Required a very non-standard charger as well. (24v 10 amp)

Maybe did 3 of em with crazy mods, and the rule was, once it fried, or got done being used, it goes it the dumpster, it doesn't get sold in a yardsale, unless you wanna get sued.

Similar thing with various other electronics. Car stereos, S-VHS edit decks, Aiwa all in ones. Remove the serial numbers, permanent marker saying "loaner", "shop use only", "Scrap", etc. somewhere on the back, or underside of the unit.

Just about every repair field I know of had something that was officially scrapped, but in daily use. Course, if it's not marked, someone "borrows" it, and then pawns it/sells it on craigslist, then there's problems.
The seller told me the chainsaw was 100% original . No part was replaced

If you're happy with the price you paid, go cut wood. If you feel you overpaid, then take it up with the seller. I'd just use the thing, live and learn...

Yeah, that sort of thing will make your crazy. I personally would get some perverse satisfaction out of the fact that some tweaker had to spend about 14 hours with several bottles of novus, dremel buffing wheels, steel wool, and metal polish to make that thing look "new enough".

Now, lets look at what he did say.

He told me he bought the chainsaw new and he only used it at his vacation home to clean stuff around. He also told me he had never changed 1 part. I think it is a lie because the mechanic told me the saw has over 600 hours....

Cleaning up stuff around the vacation home, could mean 1/4 acre and a couple dozen weed trees, or it could mean 4 acres of scrub, wild cherries, siberian elms, oaks, hickories, etc, etc. Over 1 year, and going there every weekend you could rack up 12 hours of woods clearing each weekend, maybe a bit more if you have 4-5 weeks off a year, and still call that sort of a "vacation". Or he could have spent those hours watching a "helper" do the work. ;)

There's a certain amount of spinning/omission of the truth that is considered fair game, at least as far as small claims court and private sellers goes.

He also said "he" never changed one part. He didn't say if his saw mechanic "Crazy Larry" had a go at it. lol!

And the term "new" can have different meanings when going from a buyer to another seller, if that person does not have a storefront. If I buy a "new" re-manufactured saw, from somewhere, be it a big box store, a dealer, or "Crazy Larry's Saw Shed" which may be an old trailer off a snowmobile trail in BFE, and it looks new, seems to run like a new saw, etc, etc then it's "bought new". Someone not acting as a retail storefront seller does not necessarily have the same obligations to say it was a reman/refurb item, and is not obligated to remove the muffler and spark plug, stuff a bore-scope down it, and verify it.

Also as fair warning, numerous "outlet stores" in the real world, and online will sometimes muddy even this ground. A Sears Outlet Store, is not "Sears" proper, the entire sales floor may be re-manufactured items, or simply old product that they've kicked out of their warehouse.. Just for giggles, lets see if we can find Husky products there.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/455-Ranc...w/d/product_details.jsp?pid=16026&mode=seeAll

Oh yes! A higher price than even my local farm store sells that sucker for! Even says "new". It may even have a perfectly legit warranty either way. But not a "Sears Warranty". Similar story for many other outlet stores.

So, buyer beware!

I search in the canadian stolen good database and yes, the saw is stolen.... I will go at the police station this afternoon. You guys are funny.. I wonder if I bought YOUR stolen chainsaw if you would still tell me never mind and to start cutting wood with it. Some people have some kind bizarre criminal sympathy..

Latest posts

Back