Did I do the right thing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"all that is required for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing".

Funny, that is exactly what the chief said

Had a incident yesterday, kinda wanted to throw it up here to get a opinion from my peers. So I used to have a guy work for me that I found out (via the police) was a really bad criminal. I soon found out that he was stealing from me and cased the homes that we worked at. I fired him right after some little police birdie dropped his actual record on the seat of my truck. OMG, I LET THIS GUY AROUND MY FAMILY! 16 pages of a life devoted to crime. Very obvious this is a bad man. So yesterday, in an exclusive hood. All million dollar homes. There he is. Working for a landscaper right next to us. I told my guys he was there and the H.O. heard me. She asked what I was talking about, so I told her. ( That is where I am debating whether or not I did the right thing) She in-turn called the neighbor and let them know that they had a convicted violent offender on their property. They were not happy and kicked him off. Now I have the landscaper calling with a WTF? Rightfully so. I told him how it went down and that I did not mean to cause him any problems, BUT.....That dude is a P.O.S. and that he needed to run checks on him and he will see for himself. Of course the criminal himself starts blowing my phone up with threats, nothing new there. I feel, that if ya know that a guy is really bad, should you not warn others. Elizabeth Smart comes to mind. I know for a fact that the convict would steal from the contractor and was probably casing the home for a return trip in the middle of the night. This guys has been convicted of Home Invasion, False imprisonment,Every type of theft and robbery you can think of. 16 pages. How he is not in jail, even the Police Chief would like to know who his lawyer is "he has a good one". This guys is so bad that the chief knows him by name and told me that if I see him anywhere near me or my crew, home, yard etc to call 911 right away. I feel that good people should warn other good people about bad people. Am I wrong?
Agreeded,I would have have notifided the othere contractor of the status of the fellow.This bussiness is pleged with some folks who have a bad tract record.Lets keep amongst ourselves. saying something infront of a H.o. could be bad for your own company.For future reference do a background check on future empoleeyes.For a few dollars it can save you alot of troubles later on.

im inclined to believe in paid debts and time served and all that
also inclined to believe not all "crimes" are criminal, but this guy sounds like a piece of work and the reason we have prisons
i certainly wouldnt want him on my job site and thats the kind of crap that gives us all a bad name
homeowners invite us onto their property, we have an obligation to provide quality service and that includes our hiring practices and the people we put in yards
perhaps allowing the homeowner to over hear the conversation in the first place is questionable but on the whole i think you did the right thing and im assuming from now on your hiring practices are a little more entailed
criminal records are public information
as for taking matters into your own hands, im not going to tell you how to handle your business, just know the law and the consequences

Dunno bout use but i always lock the people in the basement when I am pullin a home invasion.

I think you are doing right Bean. Now tell the cops about his threatening calls.

Mr.Bean,let me share this with you.A recent empolyee at my company just skipped town with several thousands of dollars worth of equipment 2 wks advanced pay and some cash from other co-workers.He missed a monday returned to work on tuesday with a story that had most of us feeling sorry for him.The purp had some other stuff going on in his life.When the police report was filed turns out he had quite a history with the law.It all could have been advoided if a proper background check was done, you never know what your getting til you research it.That fellow is still on the run!Lets hope justice prevails one day the world is a viscious circle.:blob5:

I do run backgrounds now. Instant Checkmate - The internet's #1 source for Background Checks

He threatened to kill me yesterday. He drove up in the company truck (banned from driving BTW) kept driving out of his way to drive by us and mad dog. Then he pulled up and did the universal "cutting your throat" motion and pointed to me. GOOOOOOD.
He was detained last night and told that I can have him arrested for this (had witnesses). But I choose not to, just need it on record, that he did it. Tried to call landscaper to let him know that he is using his truck, with his name on it to do this, but he didn't answer. Also had the cops run patrols on my street, worried that he will retaliate against my gear or guys. I told the police, that if he comes here, to my home, I will take it as a threat against my life and act accordingly. I have been there before, he has not.

Did you buy that new tool you were thinking about from working around the inner city thugs?

Jeez type a big reply and it froze, stupid computer! I need to, guy is crazy. Here are couple pages for your viewing pleasure. Don't worry, I told the cop I was gonna do this, he said its public record and you guys ARE the public!
Note that this begins with page six, I couldn't get the scanner to pick up the text, these are the 2 clearest. The one assault with injury was for beating his mom up and putting her in the hospital, WHILE SHE WAS BATTLING CANCER!

Last edited:
Jeez type a big reply and it froze, stupid computer! I need to, guy is crazy. Here are couple pages for your viewing pleasure. Don't worry, I told the cop I was gonna do this, he said its public record and you guys ARE the public!
Note that this begins with page six, I couldn't get the scanner to pick up the text, these are the 2 clearest. The one assault with injury was for beating his mom up and putting her in the hospital, WHILE SHE WAS BATTLING CANCER!
I can only ask one question.Where did the system fail?

I can only ask one question.Where did the system fail?

Some people are just born bad. But the legal system is a joke. Know a guy that was busted down the street with 9 pot plants, all very little. 5-7 years. Another guy, 3 DUI's one with a serious accident that left a victim disabled. 3-5 years!

Some people are just born bad. But the legal system is a joke. Know a guy that was busted down the street with 9 pot plants, all very little. 5-7 years. Another guy, 3 DUI's one with a serious accident that left a victim disabled. 3-5 years!

That must be one crappy background check you do. Hell, if he had a 16 page record, then why didnt it show up? if it's the #1 background check as you say it is then i assume it would have indicated he was a felon. Are you sure you did a background check? Just seems to me all this could have been avoided.

P.S. I'm sorry I thought I read that you did do a background check on him. I re=read and saw that you are now doing back ground checks. My bad. Well, let me say that I'm sorry, and furthermore add that I am an ex-cop and can tell you that that turd dosent have a "great" lawyer as the chief dang well knows. The reason this cat isnt in jail is because he is rolling over everyone and anyone that he remotely knows. The Police Chief was givin you a line my man. But thats okay. I'm glad you found him out sooner than later. Most times than not, if the police have a chance to gain some good criminal knoweldge especially drug's, like meth labs and what not, they will trade all day with a turd like you hired. Yes, he's what one would call a "rat". :) But then again, if the chief laid out his record for you then he most likely is done with him and wants him nailed. It happens all the time. Just remember, the police arent always the good guys either.......I hate to say that, but its true.

Last edited:
You did the right thing - a better thing would have been to call the landscaper after the job though. If I were in the landscaper's position I would really hope that someone would warn me - margins are just too tight to loose gear to theft.

The reason this cat isnt in jail is because he is rolling over everyone and anyone that he remotely knows. Yes, he's what one would call a "rat". .

That makes perfect sense to me. If the chief knows, I am sure he wouldn't tell me info like that.

Back