Did i ruin my saw? Please help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose118

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a stihl 026 for $40. Put a new air cleaner, fuel filter, spark plug and carb on it. Out of stupidity and impatience i used automotive starting fluid to get it running. It smoked a bit but got better as i used it.it ran and cut fine. It did stall once or twice but i think i still need to tune the carb a bit more. I only ran it for a few minutes but it was still smoking when i shut it down. Is it ruined?

if you only used a few short shots of started fluid you are fine,, but don't do it again :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:,, the smoking was probably old fuel in the case and 2 stroke oil that was probably built up in the muffler,, put in fresh mix and tune the carb right and you should be ok ,, just don't use starting fluid on 2 strokers,, its hard on them

I just bought a stihl 026 for $40. Put a new air cleaner, fuel filter, spark plug and carb on it. Out of stupidity and impatience i used automotive starting fluid to get it running. It smoked a bit but got better as i used it.it ran and cut fine. It did stall once or twice but i think i still need to tune the carb a bit more. I only ran it for a few minutes but it was still smoking when i shut it down. Is it ruined?

Your running 25:1 or Stihl mix 50:1 fuel mix?? Its a two stroke,it should smoke a bit!... for $40 i'd make sure your fuel mix is right and run it.

Yeah its probably ok. They all smoke after they been sitting. Use good oil and no more starting fluid. Pour a little mix in the carb if they need a prime.

maybe.

Keep on using it and you'll know short enough.

What 2 stroke mix do you use?

i only use the stihl mix at 50:1 ratio. It was just a short blast. (HE STIHL MANUAL I HAVE SAYS TO TURN TH H AND L ALL THE WAY IN THEN BACK THEM OFF ONE FULL TURN....SHOULD I GO FURTHER?

Last edited:
i only use the stihl mix at 50:1 ratio. It was just a short blast. (HE STIHL MANUAL I HAVE SAYS TO TURN TH H AND L ALL THE WAY IN THEN BACK THEM OFF ONE FULL TURN....SHOULD I GO FURTHER?

Depends on how it runs. One turn out should let it start. There are a dozen good threads and videos here on carb tuning if you do a search.

Thanks!

I have been using saws since I was 15....I turned 41 today. I have never done anything mechanical aside from chain and bar maintenance and the usual stuff just to keep it running. I bought this 026 as a non running saw. Everything I did to get this thing running I learned on AS. I just want to say thank you to everybody for posting threads and replying to those threads. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on how it runs. One turn out should let it start. There are a dozen good threads and videos here on carb tuning if you do a search.

Thanks...I will definitely do a search and try to figure it out. Sounds pretty good the way it is now but I don't have a tach so I don't want to go to crazy.

you are right moose!! I have already been helped be some really nice people :msp_biggrin: too!!!

I have been using saws since I was 15....I turned 41 today. I have never done anything mechanical aside from chain and bar maintenance and the usual stuff just to keep it running. I bought this 026 as a non running saw. Everything I did to get this thing running I learned on AS. I just want to say thank you to everybody for posting threads and replying to those threads. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Happy birthday. Hope your saws ok. Find a carb tuning video with sound. You need to know what to listen for, its almost impossible to explain.

Welcome to the zoo :)

Thanks...I will definitely do a search and try to figure it out. Sounds pretty good the way it is now but I don't have a tach so I don't want to go to crazy.

A tach isn't really that important. You'll know when it's pulling right and when it's not. The videos are a big help to let you realize what you are listening to.

Happy birthday. Hope your saws ok. Find a carb tuning video with sound. You need to know what to listen for, its almost impossible to explain.

Welcome to the zoo :)

Thanks! I will do a search and get it running like it should. This place is addicting!

Starting fluid in two stroke

I am sure if you used too much you would most likely already know. Did it start like a normal saw would after the shot of starting fluid or did it make any stranges exloding noises when it fired? If it sounded normal you are fine. Like others have said, starting fluid on these little aluminum 2 strokes is a no no. Congrats on the bday saw score. Make sure you follow a thread that talks about 4 stroking and tune your carb like that. you will know when it is tuned right. The smoke, no worries, keep the bugs away. As others said, right mixture and let her rip, my guess would be the excessive smoke will clear within the first couple tanks of fuel. Still among my favorite saws, I love 026s.

I just bought a stihl 026 for $40. ...QUOTE]

You found yourself a pretty nice Bday gift for $40.00! :bday:

Yes, AS is addicting. Run while you have a chance, or in a couple of months you'll be tripping over chainsaws that you don't really need (not that that's a bad thing :laugh:).

I know! This is actually my 5th saw! Its only going to get worse

If you used starting fluid if the smoke was blue that is good means it had oil, if No smoke means it was burning clean means no lube.

Back