Did well on a MS440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I think I know the answer. I've been looking to buy a new saw in the MS260-346XP class which would probably be enough saw for most anything I'd ever need to do with it. I was planning to send it out to one of the chainsaw smiths and have it power ported for a little more zip. However, I came across what I thought was a deal to good to refuse. A brand new MS440 with a 28" Rollomatic ES Pro bar for $500.00 out the door from a hardware store that is getting away from larger saw sales. I couldn't say no for that price. Now, I'm wondering if it was a good decision or not. The weight isn't an issue and I can change the bar to 20" which would be more to my liking. Perhaps I should sell it and purchase the smaller saw? Mostly do firewood for home heating and occasional felling/limbing of hardwoods native to my part of NE Illinois. Sort of like using a 30-06 for rabbits, I guess. What say you? Thanks.

sounds like a good score to me! i have one and can say u will love it, just get yourself a shorter bar for felling and bucking your firewood.....28" may be a tad too big for all your general use. the saw might also be a tad large for limbing, but all in all, it will serve u fine. u most definitely got a steal on that stihil.

We've got a 460 and it's a great saw. Couldn't see parting with it for something less powerful. I would suggest a 24" bar though. It may be a bit more balanced that way. Hell, ours has a 34" bar on it. Just something to consider. But if you really want to get rid of it I'll trade you a nice 029 w/18" bar AND a very nice 170. :) Think it over. :clap:

Well, I know it might be hard to believe but, I went to the bank to get the cash to pay for the MS440 today. After, when I went to pick it up, the store Manager in charge gave me another $50.00 off. Yep, $449.00 out the door! I guess it will help you believe when I mention I've probably spent 3-4K a year at this store for the past 5 years. Not once have I asked for anything. I guess it's good I waited until now. I guess old school customer appreciation isn't a thing of the past, as I thought. Currently, I'm watching the wife observing and shaking her head about how excited I get about these kinds of things. They just don't get it!:D

BIGBORE577 said:
Well, I know it might be hard to believe but, I went to the bank to get the cash to pay for the MS440 today. After, when I went to pick it up, the store Manager in charge gave me another $50.00 off. Yep, $449.00 out the door! I guess it will help you believe when I mention I've probably spent 3-4K a year at this store for the past 5 years. Not once have I asked for anything. I guess it's good I waited until now. I guess old school customer appreciation isn't a thing of the past, as I thought. Currently, I'm watching the wife observing and shaking her head about how excited I get about these kinds of things. They just don't get it!:D

Wow, you got a great deal on that saw, man thats awesome. Heck I saw some "knives" on a site somewhere that cost durn near that much. Good job man......

BigBore, that saw is way too big for you....let's say overkill. Send it to me, I'll trade you for a nice modded 3 cube Solo....and $250.....:blob2:

What knife, thall...? think it takes one this big to kill Jiminy....?:buttkick:

Bowie_knife_1.jpg

rbtree said:
BigBore, that saw is way too big for you....let's say overkill. Send it to me, I'll trade you for a nice modded 3 cube Solo....and $250.....:blob2:

What knife, thall...? think it takes one this big to kill Jiminy....?:buttkick:

Bowie_knife_1.jpg

Nice knife... :popcorn:

Lakeside53 said:
Nice knife... :popcorn:

I saw one of those at a flee market, asking price was 5.00. I didn't think the steel in the blade was all that great so I walked away from it.

I'd "flee" too, if a big ole frontiersmans wuz cummin' at me wit one o dose...

course I'm a wimpy "Husky" guy....though as a kid growin' up in virgin-ia, I used to catch a bunch o crickets....

QUOTE FROM BIGBORE; "Currently, I'm watching the wife observing and shaking her head about how excited I get about these kinds of things. They just don't get it!"

BigBore, I can relate 100 percent to that qoute. You should have seen the look on the face of my wife when I showed her the reciept for the brand new MS660/28" bar/dual port no baffle muffler I ordered yesterday. Saw is suppose to be here today at noon and I can hardly wait!:rock:

Yeah, you definitely scored there. The 440 is a good one. Although I've experienced a lot of trouble getting the carbs to tune in without muffler mods. If you're fine with the weight, you'll be happy with the saw. Had a guy tell me that you don't need an 066 unless you're dropping old growth. Obviously, he has never run an 066. You really can't go wrong with a 440 though. Enjoy!

sawinredneck said:
WELP....... I paid $489.00 out the dor for my ms390, think about that for a minute!!
Andy

that hurts doesnt it. I never get the best deals either Andy.

lovetheoutdoors said:
that hurts doesnt it. I never get the best deals either Andy.

OH, I made up for it, picked up a 262xp at a yard sale for $100, spent another $100 on bar and chains (wife is still pissed) Anybody wana trade a 390 and some cash for a 460?:deadhorse:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
OH, I made up for it, picked up a 262xp at a yard sale for $100, spent another $100 on bar and chains (wife is still pissed) Anybody wana trade a 390 and some cash for a 460?:deadhorse:
Andy

i remember you finding the 262xp, how is it running? that was a good find.

Ran the bejeezes out of it this last weekend cutting white Oak. That thing runs circles around the 390!!!! Now when it comes to halfing logs that are too big the 390 seems to do that better, or be happier about doing it? But the 262 is an awsome machine in the woods, maybe someday.... I can afford a woods mod on it:greenchainsaw:

Back