Did you guys go to school for this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoodward15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Or were you taught by another? Self taught? I'm new here and looking at some of the replies and they are just phenominal. People asking and getting answers to things that your "normal" joe blow off the street running a saw would never think of. I've dropped my share of trees, but I look like an idiot compared to you guys. I'm safe and know when to NOT do something that I shouldn't be doing, but would like to be better. There's lots of urban trees to cut here. Not thinking of going in to business, but I'd like to be able to help out a friend or get a part time with a treee company if necessary.

i am being taught by several other climbers where i work... I'd never think of trying to be self taught... I mean there is somethings u can experiment with and learn on ur own. But like : whats safe to tie into, what trees are safe to climb, stuff like that can't be done on trail and error on ur own.. u know?

family business so we teach every generation what we know. I also like to read and study constant ways to improve our business/technique.

As for school, I have a degree, but not in arborculture.

BTW. check your PM

When I first started I was taught by 2 different business owners. After I learned the basics I just taught myself through sites like this as well as books.

If you are interested in learning something specific PM me. You are only 45 minutes away and we could just meet up somewhere to climb.

I think a combination of being taught from other professional climbers as well as studying at a training institute would benefit you the most.

Woodward you seem like a smart bloke, go to an arboriculture school/training institute and get the basics sorted. Be careful about what your learn from other climbers, bad habits are easily picked up.

That would be great Climb! Thanks. I work at McGuire, so it's close by. Someday I'll take you up on that. I won't be free until next year unfortunately. I am getting ready to go to Geermany next month and get back in December, then x-mas, you get the point. I carpool with an older guy that is in to chainsaws and cutting like I am and we see tree service trucks for sale often. I keep telling him I am going to buy one and start a service, but I have a lot to learn before I even think about doing that.

Paul Smith's College upstate NY. Yes it's true the best climbers/Bucket operators/take-down guy's I have ever met had no college degree. College is great if circumstances allow but basically you can learn most of what is taught in college if you have the desire to learn and a computer. As for the art of actual tree work that can only come from natural skill and experience both learning from others and practical experience. The odd thing is most successful business owners I have met do not have degrees in arboriculture but rather in business. Learn from them if you ever work for or meet one of them. The same holds true for the oldtimmers and hot shot's out their that every good company has. This also holds true for the wrong things to do, learn from their mistakes before you make your own.But the one thing that I cannot stress enough is the best thing a green arborist can do is work for a few different company's. I know this is gonna rub some people the wrong way but it definitely expands both your mind,ability,skill and attitude.

look learn listen/twoodward15

I my self was taught by a top climber of his (day) went on to work for myself learnt all the short cuts to make money BUT my son is now in the trade with a local tree care company to learn , he is enrolled with an arboricultre collage to learn all the modern and safe ways to work , we climb and work together somtimes but i try not to teach my bad habits ,like free climbing, climb high climb safe and enjoy old timer

woodville said:
But the one thing that I cannot stress enough is the best thing a green arborist can do is work for a few different company's. I know this is gonna rub some people the wrong way but it definitely expands both your mind,ability,skill and attitude.
I agree with that. I learned to climb on a takedown crew. Then worked for an Asplundh offroad/backyard crew for 2 years-yeah alot of people have problems with them but it was great experience-where else can you climb twenty to thirty trees every day? Then on to another company learning to trim the "right" way. Then finally to the company I'm at now doing takedowns. My point is that you take the best from every different climber you work with and use it to make yourself a better climber.

To answer twoodward-never went to school for tree work but I have worked with and have been taught by some excellent treemen. But there are also some things that I had to learn on my own.

College?

I currently attend SUNY Cobleskill, here in upstate NY with an associates in Landscape Development, and a Bachelors in Plant Science. Included in my curriculum was an aboriculture class, but I mean how much tree related info can you leanr in one semester. I have worked for a tree company for 3 years and combining my horticultural knowledge with practical climbing/removal experience has led me to wheer I am know. i do agree many business owners dont have any formal education related to arboriculture, or horticulture, and still do fine for themselves. Personally, being 21 with an education and climbing experience I feel way ahead of most of the folks my age inthe tree care industry. At the same time, I think that one needs a strong desire to learn in school, combined with practical experience. If I had to choose one or the other, I would go with experience. You can learn all you want from books,but until you do it you arent worth a ???? in my book.

We have a family business so I started young. Then I decided this is what I want to do so I went to Southern Illinois U and got a BA in urban forestry. SIU is one of the top forestry schools in the nation. Did I learn arboriculture there? Not so much. That has been through hands on experience and there is no replacement for that. I did pick up a lot of book smarts in things like tree biology and soils (and a ton other things). I think going to school has helped with diagnosing problems and finding solutions for trees. It made the CA test a breeze. Did school teach me how to climb, rig, or fell a tree in a tight spot? Nope.

School also gives me another option the day my body says no more.

school

I learned to climb and everything on my own! I have been climbing trees since far back as I can remember. I do like to stop and watch other tree guys work and I have hired or say sub out some work and watched them...and I like to read! My problems are in keeping up with the paper work.

I went to an agricultural college the Stockbridge School at UMASS. I studied turf grass (please no jokes ;) ) I was always always envious of the Arbor guys coming back from climbing lab with all of the gear, etc. etc.

After two years I left school and got a job with a tree co.worked there for seven years, Got all of my certifications and went back to finish school. Then got the job I have now.

I have trained dozens of young guys, and one girl. IMHO the most important thing you can do if you want to learn is humble yourself enough to learn. The second most important thing is to surround yourself with good teachers.

I started with a two years apprenticeship doing general horticulture, very hands on, then to agriculture college for a year in nursery practices, then 10 years of commercial landscaping, I had tried climbing for one day as an apprentice and thought it was really fun. When I got tired of mowing, pruning, planting, weeding and raking, and supervising, mowing, pruning, planting, weeding and raking, I saw a definite need for specialized arb work, and started taking courses in Arb, chainsaw operation and maintenance, felling, climbing & aerial rescue, rigging, then a three month course which filled in a lot of gaps in tree specific biology and biomechanics and reinforced practical arb work.
In between I was climbing with others, reading, surfing the net, and doing my own work, my horticulture background was a definite asset.

Climb with others, READ & RESEARCH, sign up for courses, just make sure they are as up to date as possible. What you learn or are taught in a formal setting combined with what you see and do in a real work setting is the way forward, some things you are taught don't 'click' till you do it yourself, and some things you see on the job you will never be taught on a course!

OTG BOSTON said:
I went to an agricultural college the Stockbridge School at UMASS. I studied turf grass (please no jokes ;) ) I was always always envious of the Arbor guys coming back from climbing lab with all of the gear, etc. etc.

After two years I left school and got a job with a tree co.worked there for seven years, Got all of my certifications and went back to finish school. Then got the job I have now.

I have trained dozens of young guys, and one girl. IMHO the most important thing you can do if you want to learn is humble yourself enough to learn. The second most important thing is to surround yourself with good teachers.
otg you were a grass geek i never woulda guessed yrs?

I graduated from Stockbridge School of Agriculture, took Landscape Operations.
I did landscaping for about three years and then did tree work, stump grinding and mosquito control for 38 years. Just sold business and retired. Well not really, I now rebuilt and sell brush chippers part time. The most thing I enjoyed was all my very loyal customers.

Well...

Spend some time with Climb020, he seems to have his head screwed on from all the input here and sounds to have some largish kahunas, has done a competition which would have taught him heaps and a very generous offer...

ALWAYS when you're feeling confident step back (or lean back) and triple check everything, over confidence is what sits men on there posteriors real quick and from hieght that spells death...

Once again, I will put in a shameless plug for our program at MSU-Bottineau,("The Forestry" in the old days). One and two year programs in Urban Forest Technology. One year also available online, but this is more for people working in the field, with some experience to draw on, at least that seems to make it easier.

Bob Underwood
Assoc. Professor of Forestry,
MSU-Bottineau, ND

Back