Difference between stihl 20-2 and 40-2 autocut heads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchwyatt00

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'day all

What is the difference between the Stihl autocut 20-2 and 40-2 heads besides the fact that one is bigger, hence can run thicker line and more of it? I was hoping that it actually could run longer line and therefore cut more with each pass, but this would require the fitting of a different deflector, which I can find no mention of by Stihl.

Is the size of the body the only difference?

My understanding is that the larger number heads hold more of the same size line. I bought a larger one for my FS250 some years ago. I think it is a 30-2. It holds more line than the smaller, original equipment one did. I still have it in the tool box, loaded for a spare, as I cut in remote spots and don't want "down time" if something breaks.

I do notice the larger head makes the line length a bit shorter, therefore the engine rpm goes up. I've modified the guard/line cutter to allow for longer line length. The MS250 has so much power, if you don't load it with a longer line, the engine sounds like it's over-revving, sometimes hitting the rev limiter. I've also carefully adjusted the carb to be just very slightly on the "rich side", to prevent damage. So far, it's a great machine and works well with the larger head.

I also purchased a spare lower head cover, because those wear out in my operation. I cut at a cemetery, lots of jagged tombstones & concrete. If I stay well away from them, the string lasts a lot longer...:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back