Digit-all Cameras

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Digital cameras have been coming down steeply i the last year. been thinking that is next computer purchase to hawk after they level out some, for a lil'while now.

i think that a $200 @2.0 megapixel camera used to go for about $700 or so a year ago+.

What, megapixel and zoom specs are you guys using for these pix of late?

Of course that is open to all, as all ways; but would like to specifically here from some of the shy guys, like Rog and JP!:Monkey:

o and how do you download pix to the server, are there any contradictions to that? (like slow loading pages for dial-up users, crowding server, server risk)

Would sound/ vid files be impossible?

o and the pm alottment is too small!!!!!!!!!
or did you guys just do that to me?
on purpose?
who's idea was that anyhow?????????:angry:

I have a Kodak DC4800. 3.1 Megapixel. 3X optical zoom, 2X digital zoom. I use Adobe Photoshop to resize them for this format, saved as jpegs.

Keep in mind when you are looking at them that optical zoom is much better than digital zoom. The digital zoom shows too many pixels. I have an olympus c-2100 with 10Xoptical and 2.7Xdigital. I love it and it produces top notch pictures that are easy to retrieve off the camera.

I have loved the challenge of putting tree concepts into writing. As earlier stated I believe we are actually developing language, refining terms and inventing new ones to describe the new technology and technique. It's fantabulous.
That said... remember the old saying a picture is worth 1,000 words.
I wish it was easier to post pics. Darrin.. maybe you could provide a tutorial. I have a good computer and had a decent Olympus D C, which is missing. I kept it on the job at all times. I've got hundreds of pics downloaded on a fairly new dell. Lot's of great stuff I'd love to share.
The only pic I've posted was some girdling roots, which I emailed to Nick Crawford, who resized it to just over postage stamp size, and emailed it back.
My wife knows some photoshop. But how many are going to take the time to figure that out. My pics as originals are only 2x too big to make the AS cut. Why not double the allowable size, but put a time limit on them. Or get Sherrill to pony up and get this site jumping. Video is definitely the next frontier.
God Bless,
Daniel

The pictures you see here are low resolution, I think the limit is less than 2 megapixal, not sure though.

Higher resolution cameras are good for pictures which will be made into a hardcopy. Two megapixal pictures make decent 4x6" pictures. If you want very high quality 4x6 or average 8x11 pictures you will want a 3 or higher megapixal.

For posting pictures on the internet, you will most likely set your camera at a lower setting, perhaps 1/2 megapixal. Large pictures take forever to download, are hard to move around, use huge amounts of memory, and many sites(like this one) have picture size limits. Pictures that will be used for the internet are best taken at a lower resolution. Large resolution pictures need to be reduced in size in a photo editing program, before using.

If you are not printing out larger pictures you may want to buy a lower resolution camera.

Last year I bought a 4.2 megapixal camera with 6X zoom, for $900, which recently got stolen. I replaced it(same model camera) brand new on eBay, for $350. So prices are coming down fast. Don't come crying to me when your $500 camera is on close out sale for $149, in six months.

If you are any good at eBay, it can be a good way to save money on a digital camera. Look out for scammers!

Yes.
If you get a camera, you will get another program in the software.
I have three or four different photo editing programs on my compuiter and they are all very similar.
Paint, which is good for doing all kinds of things, works well too, but doesn't change images to jpg(greatly reduces file size without affecting quality much). Most other photo editing programs do this though.

Well thanx.

Might be checking into that, 2m are about affordable right now.

My MsPaint shows SaveAS as having mono,16c,256c and and now 24bit formats for the bigger .bmp files as well as, .jpg and .gif formats. i've been making drawings in 24bit .bmp (better color, more inspiring to get 'em just write) and perverting them to .jpg using the SaveAs option.

Don't know if it is the same thing, but it opens .jpg's too if u ask it to.

It's not high end at all, but if you want a good 'working' camera....pick up an Olympus D-360L. I think you can get them for just over $200 now new....less on auction or used.

This one is 1.3 megapixels....takes nice shots, but is all automatic, you can't really change any of the settings. I use it to catalog the daylilies I sell....and take pictures out in the woods, on the farm, etc. A couple years ago I was able to document a case of lice on a bull (after I'd used a few hundred dollars of guaranteed chemicals to rid them).....brought the picture in instead of having to load up a two ton bull into a trailer. The vets signed off on it and I got my money back.

One reason I'd recommend it for people who are 'out on the job' is that the whole camera shuts up tight. There is a slide cover that protects all the working lenses....you can fit it in your pocket (big pockets) and pretty much abuse it (it's pretty scratched up, but works great) and it takes it all without anything other than cosmetic damage.

It has it's drawbacks....you can't adjust it and it's useful only for printing smaller images (which are excellent with this HP 882 printer)...but for online, it's all I need. But the colors are truer than many I've seen (which also depends on the monitor they're seen on.)

There are some examples on the website I put together to show/sell my daylilies...go to the photos page and click on a small image to see a larger one. Forget they're just flowers ;), but it will show you the detail you can get on a quick shot with a fairly cheap camera (this fall there'll be farm/nature pictures)...

http://www.maysacres.com/

Che

Those are some sharp pics Che.
One day I'll get a new camera, I wouldn't recommend the Sony Mavica! It works but the quality stinks, pictures seem like they're always fuzzy? Mine is a FD83, maybe they've improved them by now?

Sizing Pictures

First off, don't worry about me being here rather than horsing around on the Chainsaw Forum. I may be able to explain a few things about sizing digital pictures for display here on AS, so this is on the level.

When you get right down to basics, there are only two things that you want to do with your picture to post it on this site.

1. Physical Picture Size

When you take a picture with your digital camera, you're obviously not capturing the picture on film, but on a light sensitive integrated circuit. This circuit, often refered to as a CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) array, incorporates a grid of tiny sensors that each essentially respond to both light intensity and color and translate this information into electrical voltages or currents. The buzz word that everyone knows of course is Mega Pixels and this refers to how many of these little sensors are present on the CCD in the camera. All other things being equal (and there are many variables in cameras that are not), a larger amount of sensors, or pixels, results in a finer quality picture. If you multiply the number of vertical pixels by the number of horizontal ones in the rectangular matrix on the array, you will end up with this number. One of my cameras has an array that has 1312 vertical pixels by 2000 horizontal pixels. That works out to 2.6 MP, or Mega Pixels.

If I were able to post this picture on AS directly from my camera, those 1312 by 2000 pixels would translate directly to the pixels on your computer monitor screen. Typical resolutions on video cards for today's 17 inch monitors run in the 768 X 1024 pixel range. If you run much higher than that, the fonts just get too small to read. On a 21 inch monitor, you can get away with 1024 X 1280 pixels, but most people don't run 21's yet. At any rate, if one were to put a 1312 X 2000 pixel picture directly on AS, the picture would fill up more than the whole screen. You'd have to scroll around to see sections of the picture, but would never be able to see the whole thing at once.

Because almost all digital cameras nowadays have array sizes that exceed the resolution that most people have set on their monitors, it becomes necessary to reduce the amount of pixels, or resoulution, of the picture you've taken, so that people will be able to see the whole thing at once on their monitor. A good basic size to pick is probably in the range of 480 X 640 to maybe 600 X 800 pixels. You could set your camera to these resolutions before you take your picture, but if you later decide that you want to print the picture on paper, you might wish that you had taken the shot at a higher resolution. If you do have a picture that is too large, you will have to downsize (downsample) the image in a photo manipulation program. Any number of inexpensive programs are available to do this, so you don't have to go out and buy Adobe Photoshop for $600.

2. Picture File Size

We're lucky here on Arborist Site in that we can actually upload pictures from our computers onto the AS server for display. If this wasn't the case, you'd have to host them yourself on your own web site like Che does. Unfortunately, we don't all have that luxury, so it's great to have this feature for free (it's not that common). Pictures take up a lot of file space (much more than text). Che states that a picture's worth a thousand words, well that's probably even understating it in digital storage terms. Because of this, AS limits the maximum file size that your pictures can have to about 102 KB (kilobytes, don't ask, it really doesn't matter if you don't know what a kilobyte is).

So how big is the file of a typical JPEG (.jpg) picture? Well, if your camera is, say, a 2 Mega Pixel unit, then if you're set to the finest JPEG resolution (least file size compression, higher quality, therefore largest file), you'll end up with a file size of somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 to 800 KB; way too large for the AS maximum of 102 KB. Now, as with physical picture size above, you could set your camera to a lower quality mode (more file size compression, lower quality, therefore smaller file) before you take the picture, but again you might want to print the picture at a higher resolution and quality later. As before, in a resonable photo manipulation program, you should be able to specify the compression (hence quality and file size) of your file when you do a "save as". It should tell you what the final file size is before you click "OK", so you can play with it until it's under 102 KB.

One final note on printed picture resolution versus computer monitor resolution. You will find that printed pictures require much higher resolution than does your computer monitor. 72 pixels per inch for a computer monitor is just fine. When you do a high quality print, you'll want 300 dots (pixels) per inch. Note that this 300 dpi number is not directly related to printer resolutions like 1440 X 1440 and the like.

I've been too verbose as usual. Good luck.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Last year I bought a 4.2 megapixal camera with 6X zoom, for $900, which recently got stolen.

Someone is walking around with my $1000 Canon Powershot G2. :( I wish they would return it, but..... Made for a pretty sucky week so far.
tearsdrip.gif

Nickrosis

Dang, Nick that sucks big time!

Hope you have homeowner's insurance.

I think they are even cheaper than when I got mine. i found a inet deep discounter with a good rating, and got mine for $665.

Last year, we got it for $700 plus $100 for the massive memory card. Yes, we've got insurance. When I told my dad what else I should do about it (I reported it, asked about it at lost and found, stopped by the Dean's office, etc).....he said, "well, you can buy me a new camera."
jawdrop.gif

I will, and the homeowner's insurance will help. Word to the wise, watch over your toys. A company in our area lost many saws this summer, and a fellow classmate, who's also the son of a Milwaukee tree businessman, told me they had to chase after a homeless man who had stolen a saw while they were working.

Nickrosis

Chemlawn had their trucks cleaned out on their lot a few years ago. Took the good stuff and left the crap, like old arborplex and a 1 inch 200 bull.

I found out about it because the Pewaukee PD came looking for me. I had left them about 9 months prior.

Latest posts

Back