Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not asking you to teach me to cut. . . I am challenging you and your "secrets". .

define to me your definition of..."secrets"....because your dictionary must be better than mine.....:laugh::yoyo::D

Dude....i fall timber for a living....been for 10yrs....i didnt say GOL is the only way but it DOES work for alot of situations......as much of the twisted up dangerous steep ground that i work on i probably GOL 1-4 trees a day...depending on the circumstances...i use another technique that one of the best veteran fallers that i know taught me and im not about to give it up over the net....you work with me for a day you MIGHT catch me doing it...you might not...:D;)

Sounds like a secret to me, or maybe a bluff.

Sounds like a secret to me, or maybe a bluff.

Ok...wait wait wait...let me ask you this....if YOU where working with a veteran faller that has 35 years in this business....and he taught you something that he said to keep to yourself and use when you need to....and you worked so hard and had to have so much respect to get him to teach it to you....would you tell it?

If it could help other people out, yea I would.

Thats you...this is me....its a level of respect that i intend to keep....he sure as he11 didnt go and say ok i know this, this, this, this, this, this, and this....no...huh uh...that didnt happen....but i started to notice the more i cut with him and the skidders where gone.....he'd stop me once in awhile and say here let me show you somethin'....he'd show me a trick here...and there...here....and there....im not sure if he taught me everything he knows....but i noticed the more i just kept my mouth shut and eyes and ears open..the more he would show.

I think I know the "secret". Don't get your gas from Mexican food and use a Sharp chain.

Is the secret to have only ever worked with one other faller, thereby considering his tricks divine inspiration, and as he is better than you, to consider him godly?

There is very little information out there that only one person knows.

Is the secret to have only ever worked with one other faller, thereby considering his tricks divine inspiration, and as he is better than you, to consider him godly?

There is very little information out there that only one person knows.

Hes not the ONLY one....i've worked and cut with many.....but he was the most knowlegable that I cut with IMO....when did i mention god?..or godly?

Huh...funny...i thaught the same thing about you when i read your comment..:laugh:......they say you can act like the people your around alot.....judging by this...must be the truth.

I've posted a bunch of pics of my work around here. I haven't seen any of yours anywhere though. Maybe I've just missed them. Theres only a handful of guys on this forum that I would put in the "best," category. I would be honored to pack their gas and oil.

Last edited:
The way I see this pro feller stuff in areas where potential damage to life limb houses etc. Safe guards such as but not limited too ropes,cables,winch,wedges,etc separate true pro fellers from notch extraordinaire and I don't care what certs they hold. I have fell more trees near houses powerlines than I care to remember and without careful safeguards massive destruction would of been mere wind gust away. In a woods scenario I could fell trees with a dutchman to save wood and lay them pretty much where I want them but near collateral there is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing safeguards will make certain damage doesn't occur:monkey:

Holy ####, that was the best picture ever! Out of rep for ya bud. WOW!

Hell yeah Burv it works well bro as long as there is nothing in the cables path lol. I have other safeguards for when those things happen though. To be honest a pike pole is a great tool for felling where limited damage may occur. I realize many of you can't carry much gear and help up them mountains but really the consequence of having one go astray in the bush vrs between two houses I would be using wedges and tricks I have picked up on through my years too.

Pike pole made from large pruner poles encapsulated in pvc head shaped from mild steel and affixed the pole! Can be stuck in at decent height and used to shove trees into intended paths but does have limitations!

Latest posts

Back