Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"All I need is one more saw, then I can stop collecting".......... im sorry but there is something seriously WRONG with that statement!!! but then again CAD infects us all in different ways :D

Very nice Rope! But I'm not climbing any trees for firewood!:hmm3grin2orange:

Dude thats called spacing and it ain't rocket science. For that matter when you know what your'e doing, the majority of tree work is just another day at the office.

Dude, around here we call it thinning, same damn thing, but in thick stands of Oak, on hills, when you are trying to minimize damage to surrounding tree's and foliage, with minimal equipment. It can be quite challenging. I don't like hanging a 24" DBH Oak then have to "fencepost" it down. I like to shoot between the trees.
No, it's not rocket science, but it sure can be a challenge.

I work alone mostly. Doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to take a pic and I don't do it very often. Just saying, I've got a little to back my BS.

This type of #### gets old real fast.

I put my boots on when you walked in....:)......my boss usually works right with me....like he was today......i work/cut alone sometimes...not all the time though...usually theres a 2nd person near by such as skidder operator which is him sometimes.....but for you it shows an un-safe practice of working by yourself....when OSHA catches you i dont wanna be around....:yoyo:

Very nice Rope! But I'm not climbing any trees for firewood!:hmm3grin2orange:

Dude, around here we call it thinning, same damn thing, but in thick stands of Oak, on hills, when you are trying to minimize damage to surrounding tree's and foliage, with minimal equipment. It can be quite challenging. I don't like hanging a 24" DBH Oak then have to "fencepost" it down. I like to shoot between the trees.
No, it's not rocket science, but it sure can be a challenge.
Around here spacing is what you said and thinning is removing limbs and branches for smaller knots or less competition. Not same thing.

I guess thats a Canukian misunderstanding. We "thin" the woods out to develop better growth of the remaining trees.
In residential, we prune or reduce trees.
But what do I know?

Oh I see no wait no I don't. Around here we Space in the forest and we Thin in the forest. We thin to reduce knot size and count to get higher grade timber. Also to reduce blow down at the leading edge of tree lines. But what do I know?
Real trees not woosie 24" DBH trees! 150' plus trees.

Oh I like a good battle!:chainsawguy:

Damn, can't help you much, where I do most of my firewood cutting/thinning, it's so overgrown a 24" Oak is a pretty good find.
I've dropped a couple of 36" and a 42" Oak, not bad.
Now if you really want to play, we can hook you up with a 46" Hedge?

How bout a 12' Western Red Cedar got one next spring ready for shakin' The top was blown of at 140' +/- but she's still sound. Should get 3 or 4 good pallets from it. Some as shingle I'd guess No1 and No2 grade weeel see.

See, that's easy, just a straight spar, easy to read the lean.
Get a big canopy above you, read the weight, which was is she going to go?
Is that Hedge solid, or is it a bunch of codoms grown together into a twisted mass waiting to barberchair my ass?

No, I can't!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that last post to be as degrading as it read, it's not EASY! It's a lot of work! You have to wrestle with a large saw, hope it's not rotten and watch for widow makers. It's an incredibly hard job and I wont take anything away from you for that. You earn and deserve respect for doing it. That post came off disrespectful and I am sorry for that.
It's easy to read the lean and the lay of a tree like that is what I meant. I can fall the spindly Oaks all day long now and put them where I want. Reading the weight and lean on a large canopy on a Hedge or Locust tree spread all over, it's easy to make a mistake!

Thank you very much for your back handed apology. I too apologize back handedly for my terse remarks. It is very easy to fall rotund trees and broad trees do indeed take more skill. I hope your future en devours are safe and profitable.

Didn't mean to imply that at all! I was honestly apologizing above. I've no reason to disrespect you for what you do! It's a damn sight harder than what I do for sure! I can drive in with the mini, chainsaw hanging off the side, drop some trees and have the trailer loaded with a tank of gas in the saw and the mini and come home in two hours.
Two hours is probably less time than you spend packing in and out everyday, on foot! I can't do that.

Apology accepted. I also apologize but ya' got like a good struggle don't ya? By the way I think we are alone on this thread. SHHHH Be Vewy Qwiet.

I've falled some interesting trees for sure, if that's what you mean! Made some really dumb mistakes along the way. Learned a lot the hard way! Biggest bar I have is a 32", I figure with my skill level, if I can't fall it with that, I've no business trying! Know your limits and respect them!
Rope will be back tomorrow, so we wont be alone then, but I sure think the OP bugged out quick like!

So far I've been lucky I have managed to learn from others mistakes. But I'm not totally immune. Almost checked out 3 months ago when a heavy top spun and wrapped the bull rope around my body. I somehow weasled my way round the trunk before it cut me in half. Just not my time I guess.

What is this? The pick it apart thread? The get upset over terms thread?

Thinning, spacing, like it matters.

By the way, we call it thinning here. There's precommercial thinning. That's the saplings, and there's commercial thinning. That's the stuff that goes to the mills.

Every timber sale here is a thinning and has THIN in the name. Now, up to the nort, maybe you call it spacing, but don't start another name calling round on here, pleeeeze. :deadhorse:

Everybody OK? Group hug? :cheers::cheers:

Latest posts

Back