Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that is a hard one so many variables. It matters that one knows the environment ie. houses, power lines, dense forest etc. risk of failure.
First thing to remember is a cut tree is a commitment. So if you are not sure you are not safe!
Secondly it is not wise to trust holding wood in some cases.
That being said many techniques such as tall faces, installing the undercut pie into the corners of faces, cutting a second angle into the lower face and gunning a compensation into the lay may all be used. And yes a suitable bull rope and possibly tag lines may be required.
My suggestion would be to try to test these techniques in a safe environment and avoid the use of a Dutchman whenever possible. Not that they don't work they can work fine but are more unpredictable than other methods. The hing wood is put under greater pressure with the Dutchman and premature breakage does happen. Around homes and power control is paramount and ropes are almost always incorporated.

Nice pics Rope!:hmm3grin2orange:

This guy is wicked good, a true badass! BUT he is in softwood and this tree has a small amount of lean to swing.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbN1sKN7IlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbN1sKN7IlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now the tree you are talking about, I don't think you have a prayer unless you can pull it, but setting it up and doing the cuts will be just flat scary!!
To give an idea, a couple years ago I was cutting a 36" standing dead Oak. 15deg lean, where I wanted it to go and a head wind. I made a fairly small face cut, just less than 1/3, it had a good lean, then made a normal backcut. As I was in the cut, the wind shifted on me and it barberchaired 15ft up!
I got lucky!
I should have made a normal face cut, I should have bore cut it, and I was relying heavily on unpredictable weather.
This is not a tree to learn on, and without pics, I can't say a faller would try it even. Depends on the lean, obstacles and how the weight is set in the top of the tree.
Good luck.

This guy is wicked good, a true badass! BUT he is in softwood and this tree has a small amount of lean to swing.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbN1sKN7IlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbN1sKN7IlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now the tree you are talking about, I don't think you have a prayer unless you can pull it, but setting it up and doing the cuts will be just flat scary!!
To give an idea, a couple years ago I was cutting a 36" standing dead Oak. 15deg lean, where I wanted it to go and a head wind. I made a fairly small face cut, just less than 1/3, it had a good lean, then made a normal backcut. As I was in the cut, the wind shifted on me and it barberchaired 15ft up!
I got lucky!
I should have made a normal face cut, I should have bore cut it, and I was relying heavily on unpredictable weather.
This is not a tree to learn on, and without pics, I can't say a faller would try it even. Depends on the lean, obstacles and how the weight is set in the top of the tree.
Good luck.
Nice clip take note the location allows for a mistake to happen. And that should dictate whether you try it or not. Working with a guy like him is the best way to learn.

I got lucky!
Good luck.

Yeah them bad asses just stand there until a butt kicks them into oblivion! He did good ,slow but good now picture same thing with 300k home on each side and 20 foot window of error do you really want his method or rigging employed? Plus that is conifer I want to see 50" 121' red oak with lean cut and I have cut many bigger but the differences are vast. I can do what he does he may or may not can do what I do. But hey he used the right saw:clap:

Here is him one red oak 20 degree lean over the roof let us see his method here!

and quit standing at the stump lmfao

badone_001.jpg

Wasn't saying he's any better than many on here, just used that as an example of how hard it is.

Wasn't saying he's any better than many on here, just used that as an example of how hard it is.

I know it is just if all I was doing was felling in the woods 300 per day would be doable ya know! To me pro felling is in tight potential destruction areas the rest is logging accept , snags; that can be extreme.

Last edited:
I've worked a lot of both, I cut firewood in thick woods and have to plan and be able to fell the tree in a safe manner, in the lay I want it to go. Be it between four trees I need to save, or to get better access to buck it up and get it out.
In residential areas I find I have more options. I have more area to work with, I have means of getting equipment in to use mechanical advantage with a pull line, or I can climb it and piece it out to a manageable spar, or piece it all the way down.
I enjoy being out in the woods, but I find that type of falling harder, less stressful for sure, but harder.

I've worked a lot of both, I cut firewood in thick woods and have to plan and be able to fell the tree in a safe manner, in the lay I want it to go. Be it between four trees I need to save, or to get better access to buck it up and get it out.
In residential areas I find I have more options. I have more area to work with, I have means of getting equipment in to use mechanical advantage with a pull line, or I can climb it and piece it out to a manageable spar, or piece it all the way down.
I enjoy being out in the woods, but I find that type of falling harder, less stressful for sure, but harder.

You must be talking physically harder I have cut many thousands of new right of ways through mountain passes and the like and the saw feels like you have the world by the balls at days end. It is all hard work that is for sure ain't no wussies gonna even make a week at it. I was doing mobile oil pipeline clearance in the hot Texas sun some 25 year ago and every road creek you had to drive post and put signs up and paint the pipe if exposed it sucked lol:cheers:

No, I am thinning cutting, trying to leave room for the tree's to mature. Take one out of five tree's and move on, that type of work. Minimize the damage to surrounding wood as much as I can, kind of the "tread lightly" of logging. Clear cutting is easy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I've posted a bunch of pics of my work around here. I haven't seen any of yours anywhere though. Maybe I've just missed them. Theres only a handful of guys on this forum that I would put in the "best," category. I would be honored to pack their gas and oil.

If the boss sees me with a camera in hand and not a saw....i'd be fired....my job is to put trees on the ground....not take pictures....im glad you have all that free time on your hands....cause i dont....

No, I am thinning cutting, trying to leave room for the tree's to mature. Take one out of five tree's and move on, that type of work. Minimize the damage to surrounding wood as much as I can, kind of the "tread lightly" of logging. Clear cutting is easy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Oh k I do that well too I mean make em look like dis and minimal bush damage is easy right!

004.jpg
:laugh:

Spellchick is your friend......dude. :yoyo:

Sounds like a Valley Girl thing.

You ever heard of Hank jr? You must be some kinda city folk then. I'm not even sure why the hell you had to chime in. If you flip back a few pages you notice I offered my opinion on depth of face and what I thought will work as a reaction to what was already said. Houdini was the dandy that had to start with the bs. Eh, whatever. I think I recall a thread you were in once before. Oh yeah, think it had somthing to do with kick back and you were the "WOT or nothin" guy? Have fun with your butcherin.

If the boss sees me with a camera in hand and not a saw....i'd be fired....my job is to put trees on the ground....not take pictures....im glad you have all that free time on your hands....cause i dont....

I work alone mostly. Doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to take a pic and I don't do it very often. Just saying, I've got a little to back my BS.

This type of #### gets old real fast.

I know it is just if all I was doing was felling in the woods 300 per day would be doable ya know! To me pro felling is in tight potential destruction areas the rest is logging accept , snags; that can be extreme.

I think you're talkin apples and orange Rope. Time and more equipment are on your side. You're right though to the OP he should be looking for alternatives on a one tree deal with more equipment on questionable wood. #### can get ugly fast.

I think you're talkin apples and orange Rope. Time and more equipment are on your side. You're right though to the OP he should be looking for alternatives on a one tree deal with more equipment on questionable wood. #### can get ugly fast.

I have been a saw hand for local loggers they all call me when it gets near the power lines and many times I don't slow their production. I have helped some crews on per day basis so I have cut logs, the money is not the best use of my time but I can stay with most but the youngest fellers. I won't work for any outfit that has everyone cutting too close and dips on skidders acting like their being filmed for axe men.

I have been a saw hand for local loggers they all call me when it gets near the power lines and many times I don't slow their production. I have helped some crews on per day basis so I have cut logs, the money is not the best use of my time but I can stay with most but the youngest fellers. I won't work for any outfit that has everyone cutting too close and dips on skidders acting like their being filmed for axe men.

Not trying to give you hell man. I have respect for you from what i've read from your posts. A guy in the woods with a saw and his wits is a little different from the cut grasses. I'd say you're the exception though. I also know where the moneys at for me. I usually get paid more in the city, but I'd rather be in the woods.

Not trying to give you hell man. I have respect for you from what i've read from your posts. A guy in the woods with a saw and his wits is a little different from the cut grasses. I'd say you're the exception though. I also know where the moneys at for me. I usually get paid more in the city, but I'd rather be in the woods.

Now your talking, I would rather as well but I have to make too much to stay ahead of the wolves lol :cheers: I have not met many timber or tree men that I could not like once getting to know them. We may be fussy at times but were real.

Dude thats called spacing and it ain't rocket science. For that matter when you know what your'e doing, the majority of tree work is just another day at the office.

Latest posts

Back