Dirty Hand Tools 22-Ton horizontal/vertical log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search for dirty hand splitters and there are lots of threads about them. I have my own opinions but there only based on reviews. Lots of people are very happy with them despite the issues some seem to have with them.
Some have had various issues but reviews also reveal that they do stand behind there product. Read the reviews and judge for yourself.
My first splitter was a Husky 22 ton and it lasted 10+ years of very heavy use.
My currant splitter is a Countyline 40 ton.
The Husky was a good unit and the only thing I had to replace was the hand valve.
The Countyline unit I just bought in Jan of this year and I haven't had a full season with it.
I have put over 200 hours on it this year and I really like it.
I particularly like the taller wedge it has. It works better then my old splitter with a shorter wedge.

I've had mine for 3 years now. Split about 10 cord of firewood to this day, using it. About 1/4 of the wood being larger rounds needing the splitter to go vertical position. It does a good job. I added the optional log table from DHT, as mine didn't come with it. The engine starts and runs great. Only just had an issue with it last weekend. Engine wouldn't stay running unless choked. I ended up taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it. (I think the ethanol added fuel got me this time.)

I don't know who invented or first patented a hydraulic splitter of this design, so in my ignorance I'll just call them a speeco type splitter, despite the branding on the side of the unit.
There all basically the exact same design, but use different components from various sources. Like motors, pumps, cylinders and hand valve. So there all basically the same, just branded differently.
I guess the most important things are, availability, and the availability of parts if something goes wrong with the unit.
Every review I have read about Dirty Hand, weather they had issues or not, is that there customer service is excellent, fast and easy to work with.
So read the reviews before you decide.
A lot of people on this site have them and I'm surprised none of them have chimed in yet.

My opinion is buy it. I was posting the same thing as you a yr ago and Dan from dht msged me on here and hooked me up with a 30 ton for a amazing price I couldn’t resist. Just my 2 cents

Something to remember, is most only complain when something goes wrong. You never hear from all the ones that have no issues and really like it. That applies to everything you buy.

I've said on multiple occasions that I have had zero issues with my DHT splitter. It's been extremely reliable and my interactions with DHT customer service have been top notch. I've actually never had a failure but have needed some info and help from DHT. I had 10 years in the service industry and buy lots of crap. In all of my dealing with companies after sales DHT has been in the platinum category. It couldn't be better unless they sent me a free splitter!

I do have the 4-way on mine and I use it but I am smart about it. I don't bust uglies with it and I pick my spots. It's never broken on me. Some have had issues with it.

I was so impressed with DHT I bought their wood chipper as well. Even though there were more powerful units in my price range I bought DHT because I know if I have issues they will take care of me and I couldn't be assured of that with other brands.

About 8hrs of use on my dht splitter and I noticed a very small oil leak around the seal on the ram. I called dht and customer service gave me the option take someone and have it repaired at no cost or they would send me a brand new ram at no cost I went with the new ram and they expressed shipped it had it in 2 days. No questions asked. Only problem I have ran into after 30 hrs of use

Agreed. Never use it. Racing fuel distributor nearby and it's worth the cost for occasional use equipment.

Yes. I now run E-free gasoline in my DHT 22 ton. (There is a newer Rickers station near me that sells 90 octane E-free.) I typically split less than 4 cords a year, so the few extra dollars for pure gasoline is worth not having the E-blend fuel problems. (I also use the fuel to mix for my saws for the same reason.)
My brother and I split about 1 cord at Mom's last Saturday. Ran great, split great. Only about 2 cord to go there. I also have about 1 more cord to go at my place.

I have to give a big shout out to DHT's customer service as they really took care of me. I have had a 27 ton for four years now and split around 4 cords per year or so. I just had a big weld on the main beam separate due to lack of penetration of the weld. My splitter is 1 year out of warranty, however after contacting them via IM on arboristsite, the offered to send a new beam at no charge. It will be dropped off next Tuesday.

So two thumbs up for the Dirty Hands Splitter if that helps you any.

That's customer service at its finest. Not like a $50,000 dollar skid loader that I had that the battery blew up while running it and it had a small fire only had 200 hours on it but the time had ran out on the warranty no help from the factory or the dealer. They wouldn't even give me a discount on the parts it took to fix it. $10,000 in parts and two weeks of my vacation to fix it. Machine had to come completely apart to replace the wiring harness and the fuel tank that got damaged from the battery blowing up.

On our third season with our 27 Ton DHT, Love it. The 196cc Kohler engine has run Flawlessly, and starts easily. Ours was one of the last units that had some bad teflon paste sealant on the fittings, some were leaking slightly, DHT arranged to have our Local John Deere dealer clean and reseal ALL the fittings at no charge. When I asked about getting an extra tire/wheel as we tow ours quite a bit, they sent me a Tire/wheel preloaded with bearings as a "Warranty" I definitely second the DHT service as TOP NOTCH. I would buy another DHT without any Hesitation

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back