Dirty Hand Tools 22 Ton on sale at Lowes this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DHT, I have been trying to submit a reply since Friday night. Something must have been wrong with the arborist website. I tried and tried to submit a reply to my original post
About an hour after my original post about the leaky fittings I got a call from dht customer service. They listen to the problem and we're very courteous and helpful.. I don't remember the girl's name but she was very helpful and well I won't go into details they did compensate me for the problems that I had. Thanks again, I will definitely consider buying a product from you in the future. Your customer service is outstanding.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Does the log catcher also fit the huskee and speedco splitters the framing looks similar i was wondering if the bolt holes line up bc i think the DHT version much better!!

DHT, I have been trying to submit a reply since Friday night. Something must have been wrong with the arborist website. I tried and tried to submit a reply to my original post
About an hour after my original post about the leaky fittings I got a call from dht customer service. They listen to the problem and we're very courteous and helpful.. I don't remember the girl's name but she was very helpful and well I won't go into details they did compensate me for the problems that I had. Thanks again, I will definitely consider buying a product from you in the future. Your customer service is outstanding.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Not only did they reply Friday night but this afternoon when I checked my cell phone I had a message from Ron checking to see if my problem was resolved. WOW!

I haven't had a chance to call back yet but I certainly will...I can't get over their concern. I wish all consumer products company worked this way.

Just this evening I had a small part situation that needed replaced. (either a poor spot weld or my enthusiastic strength, not a big deal) Called Ron B. shortly before the end of the day and he listened to my dilemma and then said a new part is on it's way. I've never dealt with a Company's Customer Service as solid as DH. 5 stars all the way. I'll make sure to refer them to others.

Last Thursday I called DH and got a recording. Left a message concerning the need to purchase the four way splitting head and the log table. DH returned my call, which I missed and two more calls Friday! Great customer service. I spoke with Carolyn and she took care of everything perfectly. Big Brown will drop them off this coming Wednesday to my door.

5 Stars to DH!

Accessories arrived last Wednesday as promised. The Table bolted right on and the 4 way splitting head is probably better for a larger splitter but does well on smaller rounds. Very satisfied overall. The quality of the parts is very good.

Thanks Porsche965 and twstm. Just trying to ensure everyone is satisfied! We will always try to keep improving and listening to our customers!!

Thanks Porsche965 and twstm. Just trying to ensure everyone is satisfied! We will always try to keep improving and listening to our customers!!

And thanks for the follow up phone call last night to make sure everything was taken care of. Never in my 56 years have I experienced such customer service!

PIcked uo the DHT 22 ton at Lowe's today. Put a cord though it s far and pretty happy. Agree with above- machine shouldn't be sold without having the table immediately available- I would ahve happily bought it at Lowes today but they don't have it. Will order one soon. Engine and Hydro tank vent are to exposed. Also had a piece hit the tire and bounce and almost take out my wife's knee. Also agree with the thickness of the endplate being an issue when in the vertical mode. Here is my first stab at a little platform to make it easier to get big rounds under the wedge. Just some scrap MDF, 2x6, and plywood strips I had laying around. Surface is slightly higher than the grippers on the endplate.

I've tried horizontal and vertical and no matter what the size up to 24" long I'd rather just lift them onto the cradle. Holding the large round on the edge of the cradle I carefully split off the edge closest to the center of the cradle, reducing the effort on the splitter. Works great. But give me another 10 years and vertical will be the way to go I'm sure lol.

Good idea. Thanks.

yeah, horizontal is definitely better- I would have to get out the tractor to lift that round- very wet oak, probably 24" dia x 16" long- and vertical is still easier and less time- I split a bunch of them into manageable chunks and then go back to horizontal. I think next time I will hook it up to the tractor b/c it actually pushed the splitter forward even though I had the wheels blocked.

A project for us on a clear cut -- a big pile of rounds to split (~60 cords, some over 2' in diameter); was using an iron and oak splitter borrowed from a neighbor to try out, 20 ton -- excellent unit but pricey. Used it in vertical mode, then split horizontally with the Supersplit kinetic. At my age with my back I don't need to hoist heavy rounds so a hydraulic vertical was found to be necessary.

So after doing due diligence, almost pulled the trigger on a brave but saw the DHT; looks just as rugged as an I&O, if not more so! I purchased a DHT this evening from Lowes. I did have the same concern noted earlier about the thick foot; thought I'd just build up some dirt around it where it will be staged. Can hardly wait to try it out.

Note: It was a very frustrating experience dealing with graduates from the school of 'Customer No Service' at Lowes -- the unit was assembled there but not tested for hydraulic leaks.....was told out of ignorance or lied to by several personnel that all hydraulic hoses were connected at the manufacturer facility. To top things off I had to spend an inordinate amount of time just to get my 5% discount squared away with no assembly charge. There was really only one employee there on the ball and helpful (cashier who followed up to make sure unit would get assembled.) Splitter made it home in good shape and will check hydraulic fluid level to see if any leaked during assembly. The safety chains were a bit short however for my extended trailer hitch.

I really think DHT would be better served supporting sales from local dealer/repair shops, in conjunction with online sites for product ordering-- the service would then be more honest, knowledgeable and American. I think DHT hit a home run making this log splitter.

I was told from customer service that you may be changing the 4 way splitter design to improve performance and quality. Is that true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told from customer service that you may be changing the 4 way splitter design to improve performance and quality. Is that true?

We are always looking to improve our products but don't have any immediate plans to offer a change.

Please let me know if you do. One customer quoted that the 4 way failed after using it for a short period of time.

We are always looking to improve our products but don't have any immediate plans to offer a change.
Finally got to test my new 22 ton DHT this weekend -- as suspected had to tighten a hydraulic fitting from the Lowes assembly which was not quality controlled....at least I caught it before losing too much fluid. Put the splitter to the test with some tough doug fir; no problem for the splitter--quite impressed with the unit. Split two cords before giving the splitter a rest -- gnarly rounds cause the cylinder to heat up more as expected but didn't seem excessive. When I get the customized table installed will also etch some markings where the log length sticker is -- the sticker is going to wear off with use.

Off hand, ours has these features which the TB does not: Adjustable detent valve, coil protected pressure hoses with NPT fittings (opposed to hose clamps), horizontal shaft Kohler engine with .95 gallon fuel tank vs Honda with .3 gallon and vertical shaft for longer run time, full beam construction, fully boxed tongue with a flip down stand vs U channel and pin, manual canister, in-tank suction screen and return line filtration, larger coupler L090 vs L075 for increased durability, larger pump 13 GPM vs 11 GPM for faster cycle time, built in log cradle which will last forever, ability to add a 4 way wedge and log table. Lastly it looks cool and you will have the satisfaction of helping a little employee owned company grow as opposed to putting money in the pockets of a big conglomerate. Those are some of the reasons, maybe not all of them.....oh and we sponsor this forum!!

Cheers and good luck either way!!
Those are all admirable features. I especially like the larger pump and the availability of the 4-way, but I can't get past the position of the engine and the hydraulic fill tube/neck right below the work area. Seems very vulnerable to getting dinged up easily. Maybe I'm wrong.

Just scored the 22 ton DHT splitter yesterday from lowes. Worked it for a couple hours yesterday and it worked great. Just have one leak to deal with.

Those are all admirable features. I especially like the larger pump and the availability of the 4-way, but I can't get past the position of the engine and the hydraulic fill tube/neck right below the work area. Seems very vulnerable to getting dinged up easily. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, it is vulnerable. But it screws in with 1" (I think...maybe 1-1/4") male pipe threads, so even if it gets butched up a bit, it should be fine. At least that is my opinion after owning one for about 4 hours & splitting some kindling. More to come. Time for beer!

I was at Lowe's and came across one on my way out. Just doing a quick overlook, it blew away the troybuilt unit sitting next to it. Overall build quality was impressive, my brother in law also commented on how nice it was, and it was cheaper than the troybuilt unit.

I was at Lowe's and came across one on my way out. Just doing a quick overlook, it blew away the troybuilt unit sitting next to it. Overall build quality was impressive, my brother in law also commented on how nice it was, and it was cheaper than the troybuilt unit.
I noticed the same thing when I looked at them side by side. I have used the troy-bilt 27ton. A very nice unit that handled everything I gave it! But a few hundred $ equates to more beer for me, and the DHT gets very good reviews, so what the hell...I am going to give it a shot. And a horizontal shaft engine means I can always repower it with an old bullet proof K-series if I need to. Best small engine ever made. Made in Wisconsin!

Back