Dirty Hand Tools 22 Ton on sale at Lowes this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dumb question...what is considered pin oak?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have a dumb question...what is considered pin oak?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It can reach 10o feet in height:

Pin-Oak.jpg

Oak is the national tree.

I just split an Oak tree up with the DH Splitter 22 ton. This oak took my 661 wearing the 28" bar to flush cut the stump with about 2" to spare. Majority of the trunk the 361 wearing a 20" had just enough bar to clear each cut. Blocked it into 18" sections and made a pile by the splitter. Took at it this morning with the objective to see just how hard the splitter could be pushed, and myself. In approx. 1 1/4 hours everything was split, and not big pieces either, nice 4-5" triangle pieces for the insert. The side table is a must as it protects the engine and also serves as a "holding station" for half of the larger rounds while the other half is being split apart.

What seems to be a time saver is not allowing the return to go past the length of the next piece in the cradle.

What I did find amazing is that the fuel tank is down to half way! Talk about economical! I'm impressed. At WOT throttle, temp is around 67 degrees and the hydraulic tank is a shade over warm. The cylinder was quite warm however. But everything seemed happy and running well. Can't imagine being without this dependable helper.

Stay safe.

I agree. I have had a few knotted oak pieces that slowed it down but never stopped it. Very happy with my purchase. Just a reminder, if you buy at Lowes make sure you check all the hyd. fittings and nuts and bolts for tightness.

Got a question for dht or whoever.

I just picked up a 27 ton unit second hand. It had only maybe a couple tanks of gas thru it. Anyway, I can't hardly get the 6.5 HP Kohler to start when it's below 20 degrees. This morning I stopped trying after 15-20 pulls. It was 10 degrees ambient.

The engine will occasionally fire, but getting it to run is another issue. I have not inspected the spark plug yet, but I doubt that's an issue since it ran well enough in warmer weather.

I'm thinking something isn't quite right with it.

The only gas that has been run in it is the non-oxygenated stuff.

Any ideas?

Beerbelly, post: 5038364, member: 91177"]Try it with full choke for about 10-15 seconds after it fires.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it won't even start running to get it to that point. But I know what you're saying about the choke because in slightly warmer weather I needed to feather the choke for a bit after it was running to keep it from dying.

i have the same problem with the honda on my splitter when it's that cold. sometimes starting fluid and sometimes i try to start it without the choke and it will sputter a few times and then i choke it . being used i would put fresh oil in the engine suited for colder weather.

i have the same problem with the honda on my splitter when it's that cold. sometimes starting fluid and sometimes i try to start it without the choke and it will sputter a few times and then i choke it . being used i would put fresh oil in the engine suited for colder weather.

Sorry to hear that a Honda would struggle like that. Unfortunately, if I can't find a resolution to this cold starting problem, then I will either replace the engine with something more reliable or this splitter is going down the road. Up north it will be this cold or colder through March.

Sorry to hear that a Honda would struggle like that. Unfortunately, if I can't find a resolution to this cold starting problem, then I will either replace the engine with something more reliable or this splitter is going down the road. Up north it will be this cold or colder through March.
this thing starts 1st or 2nd pull when temps are above freezing. i wore the 1st motor out and it did the same as the 2nd when it was cold.

this thing starts 1st or 2nd pull when temps are above freezing. i wore the 1st motor out and it did the same as the 2nd when it was cold.

Thanks for that info. Warm starts and above freezing have not been a problem here either.

Not long ago, someone here bought one of those Kohler powered splitters... The carb was set up so lean the motor wouldn't even run... He took one of the jets out and drilled a bigger hole in it to let in more fuel and that fixed it...

SR

Not long ago, some here bought one of those Kohler powered splitters... The carb was set up so lean the motor wouldn't even run... He took one of the jets out and drilled a bigger hole in it to let in more fuel and that fixed it...

SR

That makes sense. My next step I had figured was to play with the low speed jet to see if something could be gained. To actually drill it out could only be because the epa is calling for lean/low emissions, me thinks.

Until you find a carb solution, perhaps a magnetic block heater might help?

As to the starting problem itself, I would try direct to tech support at the engine manufacturer.

[QUOTEgger, post: 5038512, member: 57436"]Until you find a carb solution, perhaps a magnetic block heater might help?

As to the starting problem itself, I would try direct to tech support at the engine manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

They were not a lot of help. I will start by getting some fresh 5w-30 oil in there and then playing with the low speed jet system.

I just went out for the heck of it after reading this thread. It's 18 out and dropping so I checked to see if my new 27 ton dht splitter would start. I put on full choke, 3/4 throttle and it started first pull. I did notice however the other day it wouldn't start when it was in the 30's till I advanced the throttle higher. I think I'm running 10w30 in ours. Was your engine possibly flooded?

I just went out for the heck of it after reading this thread. It's 18 out and dropping so I checked to see if my new 27 ton dht splitter would start. I put on full choke, 3/4 throttle and it started first pull. I did notice however the other day it wouldn't start when it was in the 30's till I advanced the throttle higher. I think I'm running 10w30 in ours. Was your engine possibly flooded?

I just went outside and tried to start it. Full choke, 3/4 throttle and at full throttle (didn't matter).

Temp is 10-13 degrees.

I could get it to pop quite a few times, and one time it seemed like it was maybe gonna go. But it didn't.

I didn't count pulls but was probably close to 25-30 full hard pulls. It was enough to wear me out and force me to take a break. Didn't start.

I just went outside and tried to start it. Full choke, 3/4 throttle and at full throttle (didn't matter).

Temp is 10-13 degrees.

I could get it to pop quite a few times, and one time it seemed like it was maybe gonna go. But it didn't.

I didn't count pulls but was probably close to 25-30 full hard pulls. It was enough to wear me out and force me to take a break. Didn't start.

If you have tried with choke a few pulls dial the choke back and keep the throttle full. We have noticed, at least at altitude in CO, that if it doesn't catch the few few pulls to dial the choke back.....usually starts right up. Doesn't seem to matter if it is the SH265 or CH395. Otherwise give us a call and we'll get it fixed up at a Kohler service center.

Back