Disposing of Old 2-Cycle Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right into the toilet. Dilution is the solution! :p

Just kidding.

If it has any hint of ethanol separation or water contamination, it goes in my '94 S10 plow truck. That thing will damn near burn water. If it's just stale with no water present, it'll go in either our '86 Grand Marquis, '93 Volvo 940, or the '07 Silverado. Whichever one is low on fuel. The Silverado is most likely to break down out of the 3, so I tend to put more premix in that. That crappily engineered engine needs all the help it can get! I pour the old premix through hard screened coffee filters I got out of the trash back when I worked in the industry, especially if it came out of a chainsaw.

My buddy just recently got me one of those funnels that prevents water from passing through it, so I've been using that more often now.

Drain off any water, if there is any, and dump in my old Ford truck. I never put in more than 5 gallons to a 3/4 full tank (20 gallons) Once, I put in 10 gallons of really old stuff from a boat into a low tank. My truck pinged and ran terribly until I dumped in a can of Seafoam and topped off the tank. Now, the 5 gallon rule always applies.

Right into the toilet. Dilution is the solution! :p

Just kidding.

If it has any hint of ethanol separation or water contamination, it goes in my '94 S10 plow truck. That thing will damn near burn water. If it's just stale with no water present, it'll go in either our '86 Grand Marquis, '93 Volvo 940, or the '07 Silverado. Whichever one is low on fuel. The Silverado is most likely to break down out of the 3, so I tend to put more premix in that. That crappily engineered engine needs all the help it can get! I pour the old premix through hard screened coffee filters I got out of the trash back when I worked in the industry, especially if it came out of a chainsaw.

My buddy just recently got me one of those funnels that prevents water from passing through it, so I've been using that more often now.
Cracks me up the newest vehicle most un-reliable … I agree the newest stuff seems to be the biggest junk , I can just about run anything threw my old 7.3 power stroke , I’ve had the new trucks , not worth it

Don't really have that problem, I usually use all the fuel I mix up in my chainsaws, lawn mower, weedeater and hedge trimmer. I have been known to mix some with used engine oil and burn it in my diesel Trooper (Bighorn).

I'd like to dispose of older mixed gas that I don't use. I figure this is a common problem, we mix a can of gas-oil and end up not using the whole can.
I don't want to dump it into ground. Any good ways to get rid of old gas?
I generally dump onto a pile of old railroad ties and throw a flaming torch.

When I built my log splitter I used the cheapest b&s 8 hp engine with the aluminum cylinder. The local power equipment shop told me it wouldn’t last a year. Well about 30 years later I replaced one rear cover gasket, the ring gaps lined up killing any flying insect for two acres, I put in chrome rings. The splitter I sold and she’s running today. My point is my left over two stroke went in the splitter.

I tried that a few years ago in my 1995 fuel-injected 4L Jeep... tank about half full... and practically ruined it! Ran just horribly immediately afterwards and ran really rough, but gradually getting better and better, for about TWO years by which time it was finally runnng again as smoothly as before. I'll never try THAT again!

dump it into my 2001 F150 and drive forest drive!

in reality if you have 3/4's of a tank of gas and you dump one gallon of totally rotted, E-10 (or 85 for that matter) snot laced, water laden crap mix at 40:1 it will be fine and dandy. you might have to change a fuel filter if its truly snot laced... but that's about it. think about it... 30 gall is the average for a truck.... so call it 21 gallons of clean fuel.... one gallon of premix. whats that make it? about .03% mix .... your engine burns more oil than that in normal operation probably.

There is no reason to throw out, or worse yet pour into ground, old fuel. I try to empty all the fuel out of my chainsaws and powered equipment if i think they wont be used for a a month or more, or if im putting them up for the season. Problem is, when you empty them you often get wood shavings, dirt, and general gook that can fall into the gas as you empty the equipment. If it gets too dirty as i empty the equipment, the fuel goes into an old gas can, and i use it to clean parts and equipment (50 cents of fuel will last longer than 5 dollars of carb or brake cleaner in spray cans) If it stays pretty clean, i pour it into a car or other powered equipment that has a fuel filter thats easy to replace and not as susceptible to clogging as my chainsaws filters.

I'd like to dispose of older mixed gas that I don't use. I figure this is a common problem, we mix a can of gas-oil and end up not using the whole can.
I don't want to dump it into ground. Any good ways to get rid of old gas?
Just use it next time you have a campfire. Pour it over the wood. Then, tie a piece of newspaper or paper towel to a long stick (at least 10 feet long), light the paper, and then stand at least ten feet back, and touch it to the 2-stroke mixture-coated wood. Just be very careful with this method.

dump it into my 2001 F150 and drive forest drive!

in reality if you have 3/4's of a tank of gas and you dump one gallon of totally rotted, E-10 (or 85 for that matter) snot laced, water laden crap mix at 40:1 it will be fine and dandy. you might have to change a fuel filter if its truly snot laced... but that's about it. think about it... 30 gall is the average for a truck.... so call it 21 gallons of clean fuel.... one gallon of premix. whats that make it? about .03% mix .... your engine burns more oil than that in normal operation probably.
I've dumped some nasty separated stuff into my '07 Silverado once (26 gallon tank), and it created a long crank time & rough idle for a few weeks. Same nasty stuff in our '86 Grand Marquis, '93 940, or the '94 S10 plow truck, and you won't even notice - those have 18 & 20 gallon tanks, respectively. Not sure the capacity on the S10 - might be 18.5, but that never gets filled past a half tank since the undercarriage is so rusted out, anything could fail at any moment - the less I have to siphon out the better. That gets all the nasty stuff, water and all, lol.

This pic is from 2 years ago - it's WORSE now: :laugh:
5F5D3495-D632-4794-A108-EE58206FB50A.jpeg

I've dumped some nasty separated stuff into my '07 Silverado once (26 gallon tank), and it created a long crank time & rough idle for a few weeks. Same nasty stuff in our '86 Grand Marquis, '93 940, or the '94 S10 plow truck, and you won't even notice - those have 18 & 20 gallon tanks, respectively. Not sure the capacity on the S10 - might be 18.5, but that never gets filled past a half tank since the undercarriage is so rusted out, anything could fail at any moment - the less I have to siphon out the better. That gets all the nasty stuff, water and all, lol.

This pic is from 2 years ago - it's WORSE now: :laugh:
View attachment 940460
looks like you are hellbent on getting your moneys worth out of it! :)

Cracks me up the newest vehicle most un-reliable … I agree the newest stuff seems to be the biggest junk , I can just about run anything threw my old 7.3 power stroke , I’ve had the new trucks , not worth it
Yea, old diesel engines will run on almost anything. I've seen used though filtered and heated vegetable oil used. Will never forget the running semi that smelled like french fries for miles.

Latest posts

Back