dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again! A whole new round of "Quake-A-Mania."

I thought we were finished with this. I still have 2 or 3 from the last round.

08onefiddy this is your fault all over again. Who can turn down a $55 saw almost NIB?

I'm gonna have to ask a buddy in the states to order me one and ship it to me. It's the only way for us up north :(

I figured the shavings would be an issue doing it that way, I'll take care to get them all gone before I hang it back on there. I think I'll run it a little bit to let the ring(s) seat and get compression numbers and lose the base gasket and see what that does for it.

I used compressed air to blow it out, then shake shake shake, blow out some more, and so on.

See if yours doesn't sound real metally before you muff mod it, mine sounded like poop flavored lollipop until I opened it up. I honestly think mine gained a good 20

I figured the shavings would be an issue doing it that way, I'll take care to get them all gone before I hang it back on there. I think I'll run it a little bit to let the ring(s) seat and get compression numbers and lose the base gasket and see what that does for it.

I took out the base gasket on a smaller Quake last spring, and I couldn't detect any difference in compression before and after - maybe I did it wrong.

My latest quake (45cc) should be here tomorrow. $48 bucks shipped. Too much fun for a small price.

5y5ury7a.jpg
2 earthquakes in garrett county, md. One for me, new for my dad. Went the new route rough cabelas. $74.99 a piece.

$75 with a warranty? Heck I used to think the $100-110 PP3814 (42cc) Poulan was the best new bargain going- that Cabela's deal has it beat clearly.
I might see what the fleabay deals are and buy us 2 running parts saws. I am only on page 60 of this thread so far, I must say I have found a lot of useful information. Thanks to all who have posted

Last edited:
Just got my 2 3814 saws I ordered last week for $39 each, both was ran a little one of them did see wood, I got the bars, chains, bar covers and scwenchs, no files this time, but I did find a extra chain in one of the boxes, I put a little fuel in one of them and it started on the second pull, so all in all, GREAT!!!!

Last edited:
On the original 38cc quake I got when this thread started, I took the time to open up the joints on the muffler, remove the guts, let it breath, and put it all back together looking totally stock. Rather than just drilling holes through it.

On the 45cc versions I just got this is not going to be an easy task. The Muffler design is totally different. The spark screen will need to be replaced to allow for a bigger exit, and one side of the muffler is brazed or welded together. I got 3 sides of it free, now it will take some tinkering to get it opened up to see what is really inside. I'll post pictures if I ever get it open. :chop:

On the original 38cc quake I got when this thread started, I took the time to open up the joints on the muffler, remove the guts, let it breath, and put it all back together looking totally stock. Rather than just drilling holes through it.

On the 45cc versions I just got this is not going to be an easy task. The Muffler design is totally different. The spark screen will need to be replaced to allow for a bigger exit, and one side of the muffler is brazed or welded together. I got 3 sides of it free, now it will take some tinkering to get it opened up to see what is really inside. I'll post pictures if I ever get it open. :chop:
Thats the same way we did it on both styles, on the 45cc bend the outer cover out a bit, then take the inner plate and bend it back and forth several times and it will break out without damaging the outer shell, then just close it up like you did the 38cc version, we did the extra holes by the screen two differant ways, on one we slotted it and pryed it out like louvers,one the other one we used the leftover exaust scoops out of the 38cc style mufflers and welded them over the orginal hole and a new hole next to it I will try to get photos posted

My super pro tactical earthquake came today. With out hesitation I broke the muffler open, gutted it, enlarged the holes near the exhaust port and added one, popped 2 3/4" holes under the little plate on the muffler. Fired right up, cut like a banshee for a 49 dollar saw. I am pretty stoked. It came with the scrench, file, manual, bar and chain. The bar had never been installed, thing was never in wood, just fuel and oil. Now it is time to strip all the stickers and make it a Super pro Zombie saw. I may add a rail and a green laser:rock:

so which one of my earthquake buds wants to order me a 4518? i can send funds or trade some parts for those expensive saws that do the same work for triple the cost we all run. i really want a 45cc earthquake but the seller don't sell to canadians. :( i got a few buds in mind who i know would be more then willing to order one for me but figure i'd ask the earthquake crowd first.

Thats the same way we did it on both styles, on the 45cc bend the outer cover out a bit, then take the inner plate and bend it back and forth several times and it will break out without damaging the outer shell, then just close it up like you did the 38cc version, we did the extra holes by the screen two differant ways, on one we slotted it and pryed it out like louvers,one the other one we used the leftover exaust scoops out of the 38cc style mufflers and welded them over the orginal hole and a new hole next to it I will try to get photos posted

Photos of the 45cc muffler Mod would be great, I have one showing up tomorrow and I'll get into it when FedEx drops it off. I got mine for $48.40 to the door with a coupon code from a different source than ebay, if anyone wants that info PM me and I'll get that to you.

so which one of my earthquake buds wants to order me a 4518? i can send funds or trade some parts for those expensive saws that do the same work for triple the cost we all run. i really want a 45cc earthquake but the seller don't sell to canadians. :( i got a few buds in mind who i know would be more then willing to order one for me but figure i'd ask the earthquake crowd first.

I just joined eBay, haven't bought one thing with the acct, I wouldn't be scared to help, but lets see if someone else chimes in first. Wonder how costly shipping from Fredericktown Missouri to you would be?

I just joined eBay, haven't bought one thing with the acct, I wouldn't be scared to help, but lets see if someone else chimes in first. Wonder how costly shipping from Fredericktown Missouri to you would be?
I wonder if two of them would fit and ship in the same carton to Canada? These things are so cheap it would be worth it to go that route.

i would probably buy 2 :). i just PM'd another buddy who got my first one for me. we'll see if he can order me one or 2. i got many saws so don't need one but the quake is the ultimate mod testing mule. paydays friday so i can buy some then.

Back