DIY Chainsaw Scabbard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone retired from a logging truck--mud flaps? Lots of those lying on roadsides. I'll try it, there are a couple lying down the driveway looking for a use.

I've since seen several different sizes on Ebay, of which one will work. I'm going to make the PVC scabbard this spring, and then buy the firehose to cover the hard inner shell. I've 20", 24", and a 32" scabbards to make. Possibly make mods to carry a file, scrench, etc.
You designed it, so asking what size would work seems odd? The largest free hose once slit, would be the largest/widest.......and ALL fire houses have old hose coiled by the door, for the guy who knows about it.

You designed it, so asking what size would work seems odd? The largest free hose once slit, would be the largest/widest.......and ALL fire houses have old hose coiled by the door, for the guy who knows about it.
Once I make the inner, I'll figure out what size firehouse I need. When I ask a question, I put a ? after it. Thanks for pointing this out. LOL!

Project is about to happen. A neighbor remembered my talking bout this way back when, and found this 4" PVC pipe in his scraps at home. Looks about perfect for the 32" bar. If successful, I'll make a few of these in different lengths and see if they are sellable. If not I'll have these for my own collection of saws and bars.

Also since then, I found another neighbor has rolls and rolls of firehose, collected from his days as a volunteer fireman. I'll make sure to have excess fire-hose so I can have enough to cover the felling spikes, so if I carry the saw over my shoulder I don't get my jugular opened by the spikes.

CIMG0026.JPG

CIMG0028.JPG

Project is about to happen. A neighbor remembered my talking bout this way back when, and found this 4" PVC pipe in his scraps at home. Looks about perfect for the 32" bar. If successful, I'll make a few of these in different lengths and see if they are sellable. If not I'll have these for my own collection of saws and bars.

Also since then, I found another neighbor has rolls and rolls of firehose, collected from his days as a volunteer fireman. I'll make sure to have excess fire-hose so I can have enough to cover the felling spikes, so if I carry the saw over my shoulder I don't get my jugular opened by the spikes.

View attachment 993394

View attachment 993395

View attachment 993394

View attachment 993395

Be careful if you’re heating PVC to form it. I know we’re not looking for actual combustion of it, but if it does accidentally happen, the smoke will ruin your day. It might even give off a little hydrogen chloride from just heating it.

Be careful if you’re heating PVC to form it. I know we’re not looking for actual combustion of it, but if it does accidentally happen, the smoke will ruin your day. It might even give off a little hydrogen chloride from just heating it.

Yup, outside job only. I have my propane weed burning that will supply the heat. Certainly not about to attempt this in the oven. LOL!

I made one but I did not like the idea I could not fit it without slop.. SO..here is an idea..Once it's made IF there's SLOP.. saw the bottom (or top, your choice) off in a nice straight line. A Table saw works BUT it's dangerous.. USE a HOOD or something if you do this to protect your eyes and face.. ONCE the cut is made it sould leave enough room to GLUE a small piece of PVC into the opening where the cut was made..Before the PVC is bent to shape a CUT could be made and a piece of donation PVC could be saved.. THE idea is to cut to size and glue a strop of PVC in the cut you made..IF you need the Donor strip to be wider it's easy to stack glue.. The donor (seam sealer ) piece DOES NOT have to be a solid strip.. It only needs to Hold the chain and bar into the Sheath..BUT IF it's not solid bar oil can drip out.. I don't mind a little bit of slack in mine..BUT it seemed Heavy...PVC can be shaped (as we all know) easily..I can imagine Glueing sheets of it. IN fact someone could make a Sheath over size then CUT both of the edges leaving TWO sheets of PVC then press them flat and glue them together..I'm thinking about building a BOW out of PVC. Instructions are on line.. Maybe even a Cross Bow.. That device might be handy to shoot a nylon string over a limb to pull a BULL rope into a tree top.. JUST thinking. Have not done that yet..Good day..

Twenty years ago, I worked for a guy that cut, heated, and formed a piece of PVC pipe with a big flat hook that turned out to be a very nice bucket truck scabbard. All one piece, surprisingly durable, but lasts longer if the chain brake isn’t engaged when being slid into it.

I made one for a contraceptive. Used a 12 inch by 2 inch PVC pipe. Glued a threaded part on each end with caps. Schedule 40 pipe. I put Grandma's bedroom key in it screwed both caps on and Papaw never did find that key. Judging by the bad temper my dad had I didn't want them having any more babies. It musta worked cause papaw gave up on grandma and we all slept better. Amazing what a man can make outta PVC. 😂😂😂😂

Once the knees blow out on a pair of jeans this is where they go to be repurposed. The mail lady furnashes the large rubber bands by banding bunches of letters (bills) that come to my shop mail box daily......sorry guys but I'm frugal.......spelled...cheep!!!!! Another plus is you always a rag handy to clean off the saw.......

misc pics 072.jpg

Kiedy kolana pękają w parze dżinsów, to jest to miejsce, w którym można je zmienić. Pani listonoszka wyposaża duże gumki, układając pęki listów (rachunki), które codziennie przychodzą do mojej skrzynki pocztowej w sklepie… przepraszam chłopaki, ale jestem oszczędny… przeliterowany… tanio! !!!! Kolejnym plusem jest to, że zawsze przydaje się szmata do czyszczenia piły.......

View attachment 993714
and do these legs not catch moisture, even from the air and transfer them to the metal?

I wanted a way to transport a saw on my trailer,, I cut some rubber matting,
There are four pieces, front, back, and two "spacers" , all rubber.
It was then bolted to the end of the trailer.

XIqwRBS.jpg

I use it with my Milwaukee electric, and my Stihl 029Super,,

4XBKI2X.jpg

The bar and chain are completely encased in rubber, with an open bottom.

Harbor Freight sells a drill powered gasket cutter set.
That gasket cutter is the only way to make holes in thick rubber,,
it will cut a "plug" of rubber out, leaving a perfect hole.
I did add a steel chain across the two top bolts, to make sure the saw did not break through the rubber, and hit the ground.
That trailer is 70 years old this year,,,,

That looks like it will work great until the bar nuts vibrate loose. Hopefully, never an issue.

Not in this town, they don't. KCMO has spanky new firehouses filled with new equipment. They don't even have old grills around back to cook on.
They have quite the demanding & effective union.

Latest posts

Back