DIY Chainsaw Scabbard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ONLY once in my life have I had a bar nut come off..I was dropping a big gum tree in a thicket..I finished the tree and noticed one bar nut missing.. The other one was tight..Ater that I always carry two extra bar nuts.. BUT,, having an engineering mind.. I designed and have NEVER told my trick before. BY NOW someone may be building one and selling it.. BUT..IF you take a piece of Flat metal and drill two holes,, enlong one hole or both, so it fits most saws..Bend the ends up high enough to clear the Bar nuts and far apart enough to facilitate a wrench.. Then on the bent up ends, drill a small hole.. Then after the bar nuts are tightened a wire can be threaded from end to end of the bent bar to hold a tie wire at the top of the bar nuts trapping the bar nuts so even IF they do loosen they can't be lost. I know, WHAT IF both nuts come loose at the same time..RIGHT.. BUT..check your bar nuts along and you will see that even IF one does get loose enough to drop the bar nut lock one will be there. NOW for you guys with ony ONE NUT. Sorry..IF you guys have any room add another NUT on top of the bar nut. It should act as a lock nut..Good luck..

Neighbor had rolls and rolls of 50' lengths of firehose with end buckles and all. He gave me one. 4 or 5 inches in diameter. They are entact and look to be in good condition, but old. I guess they become a liability for actual use in fighting a fire. He has had these for over 10 years, and never figured out what to do with them.. Next week I'll make my first Scabbard. O'Boy!

I started in on my first firehose bar scabbard this morning. The idea of sheathing a DIY formed irrigation plastic inner is now gone. The inner of a firehose is some heavy duty rubber, which IMO is plenty of protection for the woven outer material of the firehose.

Lots of tiny things to figure out. As of now it is cut to length and the tip has been folded back into itself and glued and under clamp pressure. I'm going to rivet this folded tip for more strength, and then do some personalizing of the scabbard for the neighbor that donated the 50' length of firehose.

I can see already that this is going to be a process that will evolve, as I learn and make additional scabbards. I've several to make for myself and for thank you gifts to others that have helped me with some recent projects.

Prototype is complete. A real tight fit. Perhaps it will loosen up over some use, or need to get bigger firehose. I like the concept, and after making one, the others will be made faster and with less fuss.

What didn't quite turn out the way I envision is evident in the last image. The flap was to cover the dog spikes, so I could carry the saw over my shoulder and NOT have to worry about them severing a neck artery.

Still it is just a prototype. Gots lots and lots of firehose to try out different ideas or just perfect what I have created to far.

CIMG0005.JPG

CIMG0006.JPG

CIMG0007.JPG

CIMG0008.JPG

OK, I've had two PM's requesting that I show a DIY scabbard that I made in my shop. Here's one that I made using walnut for a 25" bar:
1657562791260.jpeg
I used two 1/4" thick side panels, glued to 5/16" x 1/2" strips between them. The round end is the third piece cut the same thickness as the strips. You can use 1/8" thick pressed wood or masonite as an alternative to walnut side panels, perhaps even thin plywood.

I have not made one of these in about 10 years because (1) my saw collection grew faster than I could make them, (2) they tend to be a little heavier than I like, and (3) wood is not designed to be left out in the rain. So, I broke down and started buying plastic ones instead. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Prototype is being redesigned. The firehose is simply not big/wide enough for bars over 20". Rail to rail gets a tiny bit larger going to a 24" bar and there was no way I could get them over a 24" B&C.

I'm going to make two types of scabbards.
1. Light, just the outer fabric
2. Heavy with seam, inner rubber and inner fabric. I'll be taking 2 pieces and cutting away much of the 2nd piece and gluing it to the first piece.

Basically for two 24" pieces, I'll get 2 Light Scabbards and 1 Heavy Scabbard. Should be a good utilization of a old tired firehose. 50' of firehose = ~24 Light Scabbards and ~12 Heavy Scabbards = ~36 Scabbards. Probably more like 30 total accounting for some waste and fold overs.

I bought a bunch of rivets and glue this afternoon and going to get busy tomorrow.

OK, I've had two PM's requesting that I show a DIY scabbard that I made in my shop. Here's one that I made using walnut for a 25" bar:
View attachment 1002258
I used two 1/4" thick side panels, glued to 5/16" x 1/2" strips between them. The round end is the third piece cut the same thickness as the strips. You can use 1/8" thick pressed wood or masonite as an alternative to walnut side panels, perhaps even thin plywood.

I have not made one of these in about 10 years because (1) my saw collection grew faster than I could make them, (2) they tend to be a little heavier than I like, and (3) wood is not designed to be left out in the rain. So, I broke down and started buying plastic ones instead. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Nice I can see how those would appeal to a lot of "Loggers" here. Weekend Loggers. :yes: The guys with more then 100 saws, 90 of which never see wood.... :laughing:

Nice I can see how those would appeal to a lot of "Loggers" here. Weekend Loggers. :yes: The guys with more then 100 saws, 90 of which never see wood.... :laughing:
Actually, they might appeal to a guy who spends $2 grand on a Stihl 500i with a 25" bar. Dropping another $300 on scabbard furnitire would be nothing. However, I'm retired from that production.
:yes:

I sometimes use fire hose for chafe protection on ropes.

Do you find that the teeth on the chain hang up on the plastic/rubber lining of the fire hose when you put the saw into the scabbard or pull it out?

I sometimes use fire hose for chafe protection on ropes.

Do you find that the teeth on the chain hang up on the plastic/rubber lining of the fire hose when you put the saw into the scabbard or pull it out?

That's the problem. Less so when its not so tight. I've two of the light scabbards to play with today, and a heavy to get started on. I'll see just how tight and the difficulty of slipping the scabbards on and off.

I was thinking of selling these here, but recent comments suggest they might be to complex for most here. Functionality is also an issue, somehow, but I don't really know. To many little old ladies on this forum.

And being sold at prices that are worthy of my time. I've got 50' of firehose. Plenty to test out the viability of these as something that can be sold.

I remember seeing this RanchWestCo about a year or so ago. I think they are in Montana also.

looks like someone already selling these on ebay.
View attachment 1002388

Making sure the chain brake is not engaged might make it easier to get the scabbard on and off. Makes sense to me anyways, and it’d probably be gentler on the inside of the scabbard.

Making sure the chain brake is not engaged might make it easier to get the scabbard on and off. Makes sense to me anyways, and it’d probably be gentler on the inside of the scabbard.

Right you are. The leading edges of the chain's cutter definitely grab the material. The chain needs to rotate backwards to feed these on easily.

The light scabbards slip on and off much much better. I had to fix the FJ Toyota this morning so the scabbards got little attention. Maybe later today, I'll finish up the lights and get some pictures here. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back