DIY Chainsaw Scabbard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen firehose bar covers used as long as I can remember -- 1960's.....
and I still have a couple.
however....
It is hard to beat the Stihl covers......

Especially at $5.39 for the 22" cover at Ace Hardware!

It's not about cost. Deep pockets here, disposable income runs rampant here in this forum. 100s of saws, ported saws that never get used, forum member having fits cause they can't get a box, etc.

Nobody is whining about the cost of a Bark Box. And Firehose scabbards are less expensive then the "gots to have" Bark Box muffler replacement. OEM mufflers come with the saws, so no additional expense there. I've yet to hear of someone wearing out their OEM mufflers and picking a Bark Box as the replacement muffler, and yet everybody has to have them. IMO it is all about noise, cause noise = power. Just don't wear earplugs and you'll have more power then you can stand.

No it is NOT about cost. Cost plays no part in how this forum members spend their money. It's all about I want it because.... "fill in the blank or don't".

Version 1.1 Light is complete. HUGE improvement in getting the extra space so the scabbard slips on and off easily.

Version 1.1 Heavy is under clamps with glue. 24 hours set time, so tomorrow I'll be able to determine if Heavy is a good idea or not.

1657724183471.jpeg

1657724236757.jpeg

1657724273697.jpeg

Racing stripes ... or club tie?

pink-and-white-striped-club-tie_600.jpg

If I can find some letter templates, I'd like to put a buyers name on the scabbard. Like "Big John of the Pacific N.W.". I don't dare try and paint freehand anything that involves something other then straight lines. :eek:

Another related use for old firehose is guards for crosscut saws. You just have to cut 1 1/2" hose to length, split one "edge", and provide straps to hold it in place to cover the teeth. Ski straps work the best, but they are about $6 each!😣
You can use up more hose, with less work!

Na, agricultural irrigation/water hose pipe works better for that- the semi rigid plastic hose pipe.
Same method, but you do not need the straps- as the split lengthwise pipe tries to return to round and grabs the blade or gullet area of the teeth- depending on the diameter of pipe used.
Not as easy to fit as split lay flat hose though. ;)

Latest posts

Back