DN 441 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I got a little time on my 441. Went over to Brandons and cut into some Hickory and White Oak. He had his 7900 out and we didnt have a stop watch, but we both ran one and then the other. We will have to do the testing again because Brandon had an 8 tooth rim on his 7900...but we both feel that the modded 441 had an edge over the 7900. Even with new chain on the 7900 and a well used RS on the 441.

The 441 rips in stock form, and if you like it stock..youll like it better after its been worked on. Kudos to Dave for taking the risk to be the first to tear into one. No complaints.

Brandon has some pics he is going to post here, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
The modded 441 was a pleasure to use. It felt lighter than the 7900 and seemed a bit faster, but our cookie cutting setup was a bit primitive (the guy who wasn't cutting was holding the piece of wood being cut still on my splitting stump). With a more secure testing platform and running the same sprocket on each saw I think we'll find it to make for an interesting comparison. I'll shoot and post some video when it gets tested in a more scientific fashion.

The change between the original 441 and the modded version is noticeable. It was a nice saw stock, but it now revs up faster, has a lot more torque, and has much nicer throttle response, too. Very impressive setup!

7900_441.jpg

The cookie shown in the photo is a sample of what we were cutting:

7900_441_Cookies.jpg

The 441 ripped these oak and hickory rounds with a vengance!

441_Ripping_1.jpg

441_Ripping_2.jpg

Last edited:
I may have to do that.

HEY THALL, you in the mood to do a blessing?

Im sure Brandons neighbors liked the saw running today the same that they like it when he runs one of his 076's, or his muffler modded 7900 or 066!!!

441/7900

I'm sure that your red oak tree in the background of the first pic was fearing for it's life!:buttkick: Nice saws! I like the look of both saws.:rock::D

A bit more compression. Allot more grunt in the wood. It revs up quicker.....You will notice a difference. I only had 2 tanks through mine before I sent it off, so it will get even better.

Cassey

You don't need to send me that 441 for my blessing, you know I like that saw a bunch. I knew from day one when I made a few cuts with mine the saw was a winner. Though it created a fuss on this site I think time has shown I was right all along about that saw. There are no "I told you so's" to anyone that didn't believe me. I'm just happy the saw has turned out to make my first impressions true.

So your 441 is hanging with User's 7900, cool beans. Thats quite a lift for I know stock form it will not. Having a little over a 1/2 of horse less than the 7900 the 441 shouldn't outcut it. The 7900 I have is abit faster than the 441 as it well should be. You have made some ample gains from your mod job so whoever did it deserves a hand.

Finally and foremost your saw now has my blessing, wink! Glad you like that saw, I sure do.

Must have cool neighbors! :rock: Can they tell the saws apart by the way they sound? :chainsaw:

Yeah, they're cool as hell - they call the cops when I run the big saws for more than a few minutes. They won't walk down the street and ask me to run them some other time (which I'd gladly do if they asked), of course, that would take too much good sense on their part. So they call the cops and the cops waste their time to come by and let me know that someone called in a noise complaint. Oh well.

I would go off grid..

Yeah, they're cool as hell - they call the cops when I run the big saws for more than a few minutes. They won't walk down the street and ask me to run them some other time (which I'd gladly do if they asked), of course, that would take too much good sense on their part. So they call the cops and the cops waste their time to come by and let me know that someone called in a noise complaint. Oh well.

Tell the neighbors you are going off grid. and will be running a 2 stroke generator almost 24/7 but for sure at night.. I could not stand having more than the one neighbor.he is difficult enough.. But nothing works better for a privacy fence than round bales of hay. I get a new fence every year.
Glad to hear the 441 is a good one.

Tell the neighbors you are going off grid. and will be running a 2 stroke generator almost 24/7 but for sure at night.. I could not stand having more than the one neighbor.he is difficult enough.. But nothing works better for a privacy fence than round bales of hay. I get a new fence every year.
Glad to hear the 441 is a good one.

Dobermans also make good fences.

So the two saws were a muffler modded 7900 verse a woods port 441, that aint to bad for the smaller Stihl I dont guess, were they ever compared before Big Dave worked the 441 over?

So the two saws were a muffler modded 7900 verse a woods port 441, that aint to bad for the smaller Stihl I dont guess, were they ever compared before Big Dave worked the 441 over?

Yup, you've got it. We didn't really compare the 441 stock to the 7900. I think I had the 066 out the other time I was around Kris' 441, before it got sent out.

Maybe Wally will be able to bring his 441 over when we do some timed/video cuts, along with his BB440. I may (hopefully...we'll see) have my small-pin 044 back together by then, too. That would make for an interesting collection of saws to compare.

Latest posts

Back