Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of your 3-saw plan...I tried that with rifles but failed. Anyway, back on topic. I have an 026 and find it very versatile for my purposes, my first saw and lots of love for it. I also have an 009 that I really like for anything I get away with using it on. It performs extremely well in the range it is designed for. I probably push past that a put because it is so handy. I also have an MS361 and 066 Magnum for bigger stuff. I like both the 026 and 361 because they are middle of the road and when my bother comes, we can both be working and he doesn't have to bring a saw. If I had to drop one saw, it would probably be the 026, a decision I would be sad to make. Good luck in your deliberations!

So I'm whittling down my collection. Started at 100+ saws, but trying to get down to 3 or 4. Currently heating with wood and cutting 3-4 cords/year, but won't be cutting anything larger than 30" or so.

I'm thinking 3 saw plan is looking something like 50cc (026 with 16" bar and .325 or 18" and 3/8), 70cc (044 with 24" or 28" bar and 3/8), and 100+ cc (076 Super with 36" or 48" bar and .404). As you may have guessed, the 076 Super is really just to have around to scare children (and pantywaists), zombie apocalypse, etc.

I also have an 020 Super, but it's a top handle saw, and I keep it for those rare times when I'm in a tree. I know a lot of folks use theirs on the ground, but I do not.

FYI - I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" and 235# so I don't mind lugging around a heavier saw.

What's the smallest saw that you'd have in a 3 or 4 saw plan?

Thanks

Scott
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...uner&msclkid=b10cfd8aa11712cb33b29c7a0a24e2f3😂😂

A 35-37cc saw can be awesome, Light and powerful so its easily ran several hours on a liter of mix, yea the best part is it sips gas. I like the 023-025 or dare I say poulan predator 36cc but It would be a shame not to bring up a battery powered saw for this size category.

We may have a winner... I have actually been wanting to pick up a Milwaukee M18 battery powered chainsaw for a while. Would be nice to have something that I can use on a Sunday morning without getting the wife or neighbors all furballed up about all the racket. I also have about a dozen of the M18 tools (blower, drill, circular saw, sawzall, vacuum, grinder, impact, etc) so it would fit right in. Since it's only 14# with battery and has a 16" bar, it would be good to use for limbing, saplings, etc.

I'm in a different physical range......5'9" and about 200 lbs.
I use the hell out of my Echo CS346 and CS352, often push them beyond "rated" size range. My big saws are Stihl 036's. For the rare tree beyond 20-22" they work fine. I am thinking I should add an Echo CS4910 to the fleet. While I'd like to have a 70cc I'd use it too rarely to make sense.

Wow, lots of Echo fans here. Maybe I am missing out on something.

I have some scar tissue associated with 036's. I completely rebuilt a nice 036 Pro a year or two ago, muffler mod, base gasket delete, and ported it, too. Spent a LOT of time on that saw and it was really nice when I was done. Threw it on eBay thinking it was going to bring strong $ but it wasn't strong at all. I have regretted selling it ever since.

I like the idea of your 3-saw plan...I tried that with rifles but failed. Anyway, back on topic. I have an 026 and find it very versatile for my purposes, my first saw and lots of love for it. I also have an 009 that I really like for anything I get away with using it on. It performs extremely well in the range it is designed for. I probably push past that a put because it is so handy. I also have an MS361 and 066 Magnum for bigger stuff. I like both the 026 and 361 because they are middle of the road and when my bother comes, we can both be working and he doesn't have to bring a saw. If I had to drop one saw, it would probably be the 026, a decision I would be sad to make. Good luck in your deliberations!

009, 026, 361, and 066 make a pretty good lineup, but that's a pretty big jump from 59cc to 92cc.

I liked having an 066, but rarely got used, so I sold it. Kept a 28" bar on it, but my 044 can handle 28", too, especially in soft wood.

200t pulls 16" bar well, ported 372 pulls up to 36" bar well, 395 ported or not pulls 50"+ very well. I find the 50cc saws hurt my back more, due to bending, than the tophandle or a 28" on my 372.

Latest posts

Back