Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm whittling down my collection. Started at 100+ saws, but trying to get down to 3 or 4. Currently heating with wood and cutting 3-4 cords/year, but won't be cutting anything larger than 30" or so.

I'm thinking 3 saw plan is looking something like 50cc (026 with 16" bar and .325 or 18" and 3/8), 70cc (044 with 24" or 28" bar and 3/8), and 100+ cc (076 Super with 36" or 48" bar and .404). As you may have guessed, the 076 Super is really just to have around to scare children (and pantywaists), zombie apocalypse, etc.

I also have an 020 Super, but it's a top handle saw, and I keep it for those rare times when I'm in a tree. I know a lot of folks use theirs on the ground, but I do not.

FYI - I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" and 235# so I don't mind lugging around a heavier saw.

What's the smallest saw that you'd have in a 3 or 4 saw plan?

Thanks

Scott
I had three saws and went to one a 261 and two pole saws. Anything smaller than that’s a waste of time unless it’s a climbing saw or a pole saw. Where I’m at a 20” bar will get about anything and a 50 cc saw that’s light is good enough

Damn Facebook Marketplace is messing up my 3 saw plan!

Saw an 038 Mag and an 021 posted this morning. Both complete and "haven't run in many years" according to the seller. Price was $250 for both. Anyway, 038 is a Mag 2 with a 20" bar. This guy was the original owner. Started on the third pull. That's two 038 Mag's in the past 2 weeks or so on FB Marketplace. Both runners in similar condition. Same price, too.

The 021 doesn't have a tag, but I suspect that's what it is. Looks like a 14" bar with 3/8 picco chain. Plan to get it running and keep it on the shelf for a beater/loaner saw.

That's a nice fleet to have on the shelf, I would prefer that ms201cm to be a rear handle version though.
But it's an expensive toy compared to the many Echo and Stihl lower cost saws in that weight class.
My senior neighbor that owns a lot of forest have an old ms192 that he uses for almost anything.

I remember when I bought my Echo 360 I considered the Stihls 19x saws, and I read alot of complaints and negativety, but my neighbor never cleans or services his saw just sharpens it regularly. He uses it up to 14" trees which is as big as they get around here and there have never been any problems with it as far as I know. I really dont see any downside with a really lightweight, practical and handy chainsaw that just starts and runs without any problems or service for years and years.

The real job with felling a big ol tree isn't cutting it down or chopping the lower trunk with a selfie kinda saw and bar - thats the easy part.
The miles of branches in the top half is where the real job is.
Especially when you have to pick them all up!

Damn Facebook Marketplace is messing up my 3 saw plan!

Saw an 038 Mag and an 021 posted this morning. Both complete and "haven't run in many years" according to the seller. Price was $250 for both. Anyway, 038 is a Mag 2 with a 20" bar. This guy was the original owner. Started on the third pull. That's two 038 Mag's in the past 2 weeks or so on FB Marketplace. Both runners in similar condition. Same price, too.

The 021 doesn't have a tag, but I suspect that's what it is. Looks like a 14" bar with 3/8 picco chain. Plan to get it running and keep it on the shelf for a beater/loaner saw.
It's a disease.

So I'm whittling down my collection. Started at 100+ saws, but trying to get down to 3 or 4. Currently heating with wood and cutting 3-4 cords/year, but won't be cutting anything larger than 30" or so.

I'm thinking 3 saw plan is looking something like 50cc (026 with 16" bar and .325 or 18" and 3/8), 70cc (044 with 24" or 28" bar and 3/8), and 100+ cc (076 Super with 36" or 48" bar and .404). As you may have guessed, the 076 Super is really just to have around to scare children (and pantywaists), zombie apocalypse, etc.

I also have an 020 Super, but it's a top handle saw, and I keep it for those rare times when I'm in a tree. I know a lot of folks use theirs on the ground, but I do not.

FYI - I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" and 235# so I don't mind lugging around a heavier saw.

What's the smallest saw that you'd have in a 3 or 4 saw plan?

Thanks

Scott
At my age the MS 026 got heavy..I bought an ECHO cs490 ti replade it a few years back and love it. BUT the 024 was my small saw and i replaced it with the echo cs 352 which cuts as well.. I have 3 sthil saws and all of them are heavier than fairly equal cutting saws in Echo. for example my Ms 029 is almost as heavy as the Echo cs590 whick out cuts it..I'm totally an Echo man now that I'm retired and not working everyday. My younger brother loves sthil.. I just talked to a guy with a Sthi 180 ((He could be wrong on that too) he said for him it was not light enough and he replaced it with an Echo either 490 or cs352,, Im not sure which one since he has both echo saws...Like everything.. it's all about choice..Why not go pick up a few saws in a store and see how you like them.. BUT if you are young enough any good brand of DECENT saw should be good. THE sthil 026 was my favorite saw for years. Back in 2015, I went to Sthil.

At my age the MS 026 got heavy..I bought an ECHO cs490 ti replade it a few years back and love it. BUT the 024 was my small saw and i replaced it with the echo cs 352 which cuts as well.. I have 3 sthil saws and all of them are heavier than fairly equal cutting saws in Echo. for example my Ms 029 is almost as heavy as the Echo cs590 whick out cuts it..I'm totally an Echo man now that I'm retired and not working everyday. My younger brother loves sthil.. I just talked to a guy with a Sthi 180 ((He could be wrong on that too) he said for him it was not light enough and he replaced it with an Echo either 490 or cs352,, Im not sure which one since he has both echo saws...Like everything.. it's all about choice..Why not go pick up a few saws in a store and see how you like them.. BUT if you are young enough any good brand of DECENT saw should be good. THE sthil 026 was my favorite saw for years. Back in 2015, I went to Sthil.

I'm in my mid-50's, active duty Army, exercise regularly, and I'm not a small guy, so I'm ok with an extra pound or two on my saws.

Thanks

I'm in my mid-50's, active duty Army, exercise regularly, and I'm not a small guy, so I'm ok with an extra pound or two on my saws.

Thanks
You do bring up a good point. Sometimes it is about what you can handle.
I am 71 and pretty active but not what I would consider a big person. So sometimes a lighter saw is what I want.

I love having a pole saw as my light saw, with separate extension.
Use it for branches, vines, overhanging branches.
Can just walk through the woods and do a lot of take downs for small trees.
I use a brushcutter (Fs110 with blade) to clear my paths to and around trees for easy access/retreat.
And the two chainsaws based on tree size.

Latest posts

Back