Do the Loggers and other pros use Stihl or Husky in your area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and my boss used to run dolmars..but they dont hold up..and we actually have a good dealer for them...and he pushes dolmar pretty hard on everybody..but now hes even admitting yea that more and more keep comming in for repair or trade ins. They have way too many problems..some little some big...they're not worth the hassle for us. So we both got rid of the dolmars and went back to husky and stihl...he went bought 2 brand new stihl 460's and put dual port mufflers on them and we have no troubles now...i run his saws on some jobs and i run mine as well too. And eveyone else seems to run stihl, husky, and jonsered as well. You see all sizes used of the three brands as well. I prefer husky..but i seem to have been running my modified 460's alot in this 1000 acre stand...and just now broke out the 395 cause we're in the big stuff now.

Professional loggers here use STIHL saws. Lots of outlet stores sell non-pro saws of different brands, but the STIHL is a symbol of professionalism in these parts, and only a few of the local dealers deal with the pro saws.

Professional loggers here use STIHL saws. Lots of outlet stores sell non-pro saws of different brands, but the STIHL is a symbol of professionalism in these parts, and only a few of the local dealers deal with the pro saws.

In my opinion the pro saws are easier to work on, but I'm sure the customers are a lot more demanding because their livelihood depends on them!

Here the Husky 372 is king with the loggers. Most of them wouldnt even consider a stihl and I have learned why the hard way. The only stihls the pros use are the ms260 used by some of the power company contractors and the arborists use the ms200 for climbing.

Of those I know in my neck of the woods the old timers use Stihl and the younger guys Husky.

I'm interested in the details on how you see the pro saws are easier to work on.

On most of the piston and cylinder are easier to remove. You don't have to take the whole engine out of the saw like on the clam shell saws. On the Husky pro saws they don't even use screws for the top cover, just clips. On the others it takes about 10 minutes just to get the cover off. That's two items, off the top of my head.

We have plenty of both dealers here and for every 1 Husqvarna there are atleast 100 or more Stihls. The majority of Husqvarna owners are big box purchases and a couple tree companies that are all husqvarna and they service their own mostly. The big box huskies really give husk a bad name. By and far there is a good reason Stihl is number 1 with all of the biggest and most professional outfits. We also see far more older Stihls still in use and good working order than any other brand as well. Maybe cuz they're still worth repairing.

In the 90s it used to be exclusively Husky, nobody would touch Stihl with a 10 foot pole. This was in the era of 254xp,257,262xp (I have owned all three, and all a great experience) then came the 357,359 and lots of plastic, the quality was not there, biggest issue was faulty crank cases and loggers turned to the 361 and then on to the 362s. There were no issues with the husqvarna 365,372s and those two were used primarily for the firewood industry.

Hmmmm - the very first 357xps had a weakness in the case (that was rectified pretty soon), but there actually are less plastic on those than on the 262xp etc.

Back