Do you burn pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqua-Andy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live up here in the north east and all people brn is hard wood. If yo mention burning pine to anyone the standard answer is "yo will bild up creosote and burn down your house". I have started burning some pine that I have had split and stacked for 3 years and I like how easy it ts to start and get going. The pine will only last around 5 hours instesd of 8 to 9 for hard wood. Is pine really that taboo? If you do burn pine how long do you season it for?

I hear that all the time "What about the sap?" they say. Old wives tale. biggest reason to not burn pine in the NE is because of all of the hardwoods available. You put in the same time and effort to cut split and stack pine, but end up with half to 2/3 of the BTU's.

I cut down a large white pine earlier this year. I've got it cut, split, and stacked for next year. why waste it if you've got it.

Burn pine year round in my owb and do not get any creosote build up. In fact I am told that with the gassifers that is alittle extra fuel, do not know if that is true but sounds good. Plus please be quite about burning pine everyone around here thinks there is an issue burning pine so I begrudging take it. Hell to get rid of it they bring it by. If folks get idea it might be worth something might try to sell it to me.:)

I burn a lot of pine because a lot of pine trees on my property have blown down over the years ! I usually let it dry several years and then when i burn it, I burn it HOT !!! I have never had a problem....you just have to fill the stove more often, no big deal and heat is heat !!!!

Basso

I don't burn softwood, and not because I think I'll get creosote. Creosote is the result of incomplete combustion, occuring at low temperature no matter what kind of wood. The creosote thing is an old wives tale...

I don't burn softwood because I'm a spoiled, raised on hardwood burner. I just don't need to I've got so much other stuff. If one has equal access to oak, maple, ash and cherry... and white pine, and blue and white spruce, who in their right mind would choose the softwoods.

I am burning a little bit this year for one reason. Because the dang Pine tree fell on my house last winter, it was a beeyach getting it off of my house so I might as well make use of it.

I burned a HUGE pile of it on the burn pile starting Saturday afternoon. The rain just put it out this morning. :popcorn:

I go out of my way to find soft wood (I like cedar a lot). I like to have a balance of soft and hard wood. Those hot quick fires come in handy at times. And the softwood looks great burning in the Oslo. Sometimes you just need a quicky...

I burn pine and only need to clean my chimney once a year. I have hot fires and this keeps the chimney clean.

But if it did cause the chimney to get more gunk in it, I would have no problem cleaning it. I have my own chimney brush. I'm not afraid of work!

If no one else wants pine in your area, you might have a big advantage to getting all the wood you could possibly use. I take anything and have wood coming out my ears!

It all burns and heats my house...

Pine is all that I burn except for some birch from time to time.

Pine is pretty much what everyone around here burns.

No rash of chimney fires here. If there ever is one, it is likely the result of folks never cleaning out their chimneys.

My chimney gets cleaned out before the start of the burning season. There is no build-up to speak of and very little cleaning is required.

I have qualms about burning pine and never lose any sleep over it.

:cheers:

Everyone around here swears that your house will burn down if you have a pine tree drop a cone within 50 yards of the chimney. They just look at me funny when I tell them that most of Canada and the PNW heat their houses with pine or a pitchy conifer of some kind. I tell them "Just let it burn, don't choke it down and try to make it last like Oak." Nope, they don't wanna hear it.

Still, while I have good hardwood available, why mess with it?

Ian

Last edited:
I am burning pine right now,it's 0°C it's my main wood source never a problem with it. I burn lodge Poll Pine I don't find it all that sticky and sappy anyway even when cutting the green stuff.Never a problem in 15 years of burning it and I mainly heat with two Stoves and a Fireplace insert.

There is nothing wrong with burning seasoned pine if that is what you have. I burn hardwood because I have so much of it, hardwood just burns hotter and longer so it is a no brainer for me.

How long do you all season your pine for?

Most of my wood comes from logging sites and is already dry. I get the wood that is of no use to them and that they have to get rid of anyway (fire hazard) so it works out for both of us.

If I take green stuff during the winter, I cut it, split it, and pile it. Then in the spring I stack it. I feel comfortable burning it that fall.

HTH

Do you burn pine?

i do.

hell, i ain't proud....i burn just about everything.

in fact, i like burning pine because it makes a nice hot fire and keeps my chimney clean.

strange how most hardwood burners seem to think that burning softwood is something horrible... heck, i burn 50/50 pine and white birch and no problems with it...

just season the damn wood and it doesnt matter what you burn...

In our cookstove, white pine plays a pretty important role.

Ours is the kind with the 6 lids and an oven to the right of the firebox.

Our oven temp is usually in the 325°-375° range. If me or the old lady are fixin to bake something needing more heat (or bring a pan of water to a quick rolling boil) we toss in some well-seasoned pine, which burns real hot and fast. Ideal for that purpose.

It's also perfect for this time of year when our fires tend to be short chill taker-offers.

Last several loads of wood I brought home were white pine left over from a logging operation 4 years ago. Well seasoned, just have wet moisture (as opposed to green moisture). A seasons worth of cookin and kindlin.

Haywire mad a great point a few posts ago. Pine is what it is. You get into trouble choking it off trying to make oak out of it.

Another benefit of pine is it smells real nice. I love working in the dooryard with a pine fire in the stove. :)

Back