Do you generally buy new or used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you buy?

• Total voters

Sparky8370

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see that a lot of you seem to only buy new, and that makes sense because a lot of you use your saws to put food on the table. I almost always try to find big dollar items that are used but in great condition. So I am wondering what most of you do.

Out of about 30 saws I have bought 2 new ones a 359 and a 350 Husky. All the other ones are used in excellent condition or had a little problem and we fixed um. The price has a lot to do with it too.

all non running saws here.

im into to my 044 440 and 372 for less then most are into a single 361.

i have bought a used 026 that was like new and used 359 pretty new like two so ive bought 2 used runners and 3 nonrunners.

Last edited:
I tend to buy new. I know its been taken care of, I don't put food on the table with power equip, so 1 new will last me most of my lifetime.

Andy

Never bought a new one. Got my first, a Mongomery Ward WD65, at one of their dock sales in 1963 ($65), later made two XL12s out of a free box of parts, got a Homie Super EZ Auto for free and also aMini-Mac (and that was too much). The Super-EZ, a H/L 330, an 041 Farm Boss and two MS 290s are all current runners at a total cost of less than $550 used for the lot of them.

I've had four saws in 34 years, all bought new. Two of those are still with me, working and working perfectly. So new saws have a good record here.

However, til a while back I wasn't on this forum and now I would buy a used one and fix it up with no hesitation should I run across one I wanted.

I want a saw to be reliable and work right now when I need it. I heat 100% with wood I 100% get for us myself. I have never had to have a saw repaired. So far. Or had to repair it myself except for very minor things. These tools are great and taken care of they just keep on working.

Lord willing, in 25 years some lucky fella is going to find a 70-something year-old man selling a bunch of very nice, classic old saws bought new in the 2005-2009 era. Someone has to buy them new for the saws to later be sold as used!

Last edited:
Out of the saws I have, only the 377 was bought new as I thought it was time to throw the local dealer a bone. The rest were either given to me or picked up used off e-bay or craigslist.

Latest posts

Back