Do you guys switch saws everytime ya go cut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 024s, 200t, and the 440. As much as I love my 024s. Until I het into hedge over 8" or so, the 440 stays in the truck.

My real go to saw is the Wild Thing cuz of the pretty purple plastic.:chainsaw::happybanana:

I usually take one of the 5200's 85cc, and either the 3400 56cc or a red Craftsman 3.7 (same as 3700) 61cc. I like to run all of them every now and then though:)

Depends on how much time I have. Normally I try to take a different saw but if I'm in a hurry I just grab one that's fueled up and ready to go.
I store them dry but after I run one it stays fueled up until I get a chance to clean it up and idle it empty.

I had some that never run and some that wouldn't run good,got rid of them. only ones now are the ones I use. I was running out of room to store them.lol

I kicked the CAD habit myself and got rid of a whole lot of them, down to a few under 150 and still sending them off....LOL

My favorite is my Homelite 410, someone must use the unloved homelites might as well be me. After a day of cutting with it you can fit in a big and tall shirt because your arms have stretched several inches. If you get bored while cutting you can ponder the unique styling of the saw. I have two, one with a 32" bar for the big stuff and one with a 16" bar for limbing.

The one I grab most often is the 357, followed closely by the 372.

Of course it depends on what I am doing.. My brother and I usually work as a team felling, limbing and bucking the logs into manageable lengths for the tractor to drag out.. One of us runs the bigger saw for the felling and bucking and the other will run a smaller saw for the limbing and we meet somewhere in the middle. Usually I am the one who does the felling and bucking with the 372.. But I always enjoy it when he decides he wants to fell and buck and I get to play with the 346.

I find my 357 to be the one saw that can do pretty much everything I need a saw to do and that's why it seems to be the one I fuel and fire up most often.

As others have said - it depends on the task at hand.

For my firewood cutting:

I like all three of my saws but I find myself using the MS241 more and more especially when cutting Juniper and even smaller dead/down oak 10-12 inches or less. When I encounter a big dead/down oak then I have a "reason" to fire up the 461 and that makes me smile.

I'm going next Tuesday to help my father in law cut. He'll have his 039 & 041, I'll bring my 460, 391, & 028Super. (For whenever someone's arms/back get tired). My BIL will be there, too--I'm bringing for him, too.

I'm also bringing my just-restored Mono SL-245, only because I want to see how it does for a few cuts in some bigger wood & all I've done with it so far is make cookies. :)

So yeah... What's the point in having them if I don't make any cutting day an excuse to use 'em? ;-)

Back