Do you need a logsplitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolmen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well after many years of splitting with a maul, I finally got my DIY logsplitter built and I can honestly say the answer is a 'YES'

It normally took me weeks on end splitting my yearly wood supply, and this year a week on and off has seen it completed for winter 2009. I am now stockpiling for 2010 ... it is great.

Cheers

:)

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

I would hate if i ever had to go back to swinging a maul :cry:

Cheers

:clap:

Very clean and well thought out splitter. Lots of nice little touches.

Hello Dolmen,
Where exactly do you live in Ireland? I have friends that live in Doolin and run the Stained Glass Shop that is in Doolin. We went over and visited them about 3 years ago and will probably go back next Spring. I loved your country...it is so beautiful, that special green color of the grasses !!!! Take care.

Basso

8lb maul for me!

Maybe I'm still young and dumb but how much wood takes you weeks to split?
And what species is it?
I guess if you always get fence row trees then splitting by hand does lose its appeal...
Right now I've got 20-26" Red Maple rounds but they are fairly straight grained and knot free. Some take 2 wacks to split in half, others may take 10 but I like not having to lift them as one piece. I only use 2 to 3 cords a year so its not a big deal splitting by hand. For a few pieces in every tree having a nice splitter like yours would be good though...
Ian

Last edited:
Very nice job...!

I have a great deal of respect and a bit of envy for you guys that can build things that start off as just a thought in your head and end up as the fruit of your labor! Nice pictures!

These mornin' I got all happy about that wood pile, great lengths and all. I really didn't notice the splitter. I did notice the tub tray for after it's split.

But yeah the whole thing's kinda cool. I also like the welds on the cylinder and all, don't get any cleaner than that. :cheers:

beautiful job on the splitter
please fab a guard for over that motor/ pump coupling
worked with mechanical power transmission my whole adult life & un-guarded couplings make me nervous be amazed at what can get wrapped up around a rotating shaft sleeves, gloves, jacket draw strings etc
bob

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

I would hate if i ever had to go back to swinging a maul :cry:

Cheers

:clap:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I'm very happy with the way it has turned out, its funny how word gets around, cause I've had quite a few come to have a gander at it ...

Guard for the drive is almost complete, oh and you tend to get tired of all the green, cause it takes loads of rain to keep it that way :) see path around house, DW says its time for a clean up!

As a side, I have stalled her a couple of times on large and knotty beech, she didn't like it and kicked into neutral, moved the log to a differnt spot and she crunched her way through.

Cheers

:)

Your splittler looks remarkably similar to the one I hav designed to build...how do you like that progressive wedge? That's how I planned to build mine...purchase a sharp "blade" type wedge, then fab my own thicker wedge in the back to force the wood open, just like yours...table off the back, log holding sides, very similar to what I have figured :)

Anything you would change?
How big is your pump, cylinder and motor?

Sniff..Sniff.. Can you smell the weight gain just around the corner? All that exercise that was fending off the gut is just a dim memory, just like scooting up close to the table will be soon...

LOL
Ian

Latest posts

Back