Do you think I can buff this out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That truck has the fuel tank behind the seat.

I had forgotten about that once when one was on fire and I got inside the camper top trying the unhook it so we could at least save it. The side windows blew out and I remembered where the tank was.......the camper top burn up with the truck as I watched from a safe distance. :laugh:

OH.....what year were they moved on the pickups? We had a 68 GMC panel and of course the tank was under that. I got me a deer with that one! Thought for sure the grill would be caved in when I came to a stop....NOPE! She slipped and I had ran over her head.

That's a helpless feeling to watch something burn up like that!

OP.....If you have the space to keep that truck around and get replacement parts as you can find them....rebuild it.... Does the radio still work? :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
OH.....what year were they moved on the pickups? We had a 68 GMC panel and of course the tank was under that. I got me a deer with that one! Thought for sure the grill would be caved in when I came to a stop....NOPE! She slipped and I had ran over her head.

That's a helpless feeling to watch something burn up like that!

OP.....If you have the space to keep that truck around and get replacement parts as you can find them....rebuild it.... Does the radio still work? :hmm3grin2orange:

Pretty sure they moved the fuel tank with the re-designed 1973 body style

At least Brad was replaceable.......:hmm3grin2orange:

Dont forget to remove the vintage Warn hi mount before you wreck it........That pic is so hard to look at man. I feel for you. Dont fret I just totalled my engine by a simple oil change, so your not alone

Being stupid ain't cheap. That's the lesson I take from this. :bang:

sure it is......fixing it aint

The lesson I take, is anything that is in the radius of the trees height that can be moved, move it twice that distance at a min if you can.

Trees seem to be like recovery straps

My first truck when I was 16 and got my drivers license was a 72 Chevy 4X4. Three speed on the tree without power steering, a clutch that dam near took both feet to engage, AM radio. It was my Dad's hand me down truck. I can't imagine a 16 year old drivng something like that these days. I wish it was still around. I traded it in for a 72 Ford Grand Torino Sport that I wrapped around a telephone pole.

sad sight for sure. I've owned a few of that era. By far my favorite truck.

Specialty insurance is a must for those classics. I use Hagerty and have been happy.

Hate to see old classic's end up like that...although if it would have been a 67-72 ford the tree may have just bounced off. Just messin... seriously hate to see any old iron end up like that.

sad sight for sure. I've owned a few of that era. By far my favorite truck.

Specialty insurance is a must for those classics. I use Hagerty and have been happy.

Exactly. Most collectors' policies have a stated replacement cost rather than an arbitrary adjuster's idea of value. Although it's probably too late for this advice for this one, keep it in mind for the next one.

If you ain't gonna fix it, get it on a trailer headed back to WI. Those old C/K's have a soft spot for me as well, and I'd love to have one again.

Fixing those old rigs ain't rocket science. It's just nuts and bolts. They were built for the owner to fix, not like the stuff made today.

At least Brad was replaceable.......:hmm3grin2orange:

OMG :msp_laugh: That is very funny....but only because he didn't get seriously injured!

I dont know why that nice one of a kind classic was even taken to the woods to begin with. What a shame.... :msp_thumbdn:

I never wanted to be one of those guys who had a classic car or truck and it just sat in the garage. I took care of it....but used it. The truck had heavy duty springs in it from the fire department to carry the tanker that used to be in the bed so it was the ultimate firewood truck.

If you ain't gonna fix it, get it on a trailer headed back to WI. Those old C/K's have a soft spot for me as well, and I'd love to have one again.

Steve, not sure what is going to happen at this point. I'm pretty sure the insurance company is going to say it's damaged beyond it's value but I wouldn't mind having them repair it. The frame looks ok but the driver side leaf spring is bent for sure. The hood and fenders look salvagable so it's pretty much and entire cab (and it's contents), steering shaft, springs and minor damage to the hood/fenders/bed.

More pics...
Before:
229504d1332083395-img_0630-jpg
229503d1332083390-img_0631-jpg

After:
229508d1332083503-dsc_7818-jpg

229516d1332084004-dsc_7830-jpg

229515d1332083919-dsc_7821-jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back