Does a difference between 59 dl and 60 dl makes. Difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefflac02

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is an honest question. Last year I purchased a dolmar 5105 with a 20" bar (got the 20" because it came with 3 free chains from my dealer as a special). Anyway, I have an old homelite super ez ao, that had a 16" b/c 59 dl. Both are 3/8 pitch .050 gauge. I have run the 16" bar and chain on my dolmar with no problems until recently.

The reason for my question is that recently with the 16" bar, the bar has started to smoke when cutting. I thought the oiler hole in the bar was clogged, so I checked it, and it was clean. I know the chain was sharp as I had just sharpened it.

Looking at the dolmar website I have found that the correct bar and chain for 16" should be with 60 drive links, not the 59 dl that the b/c combo is that I am running.

Has my ignorance got me in trouble, or am I ok to run the 59dl b/c? Your help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to damaged my saw, it runs great with the 20" b/c.

If the 59 driver fits on the bar and sprocket without being to tight then you are fine. I was wondering if your bar is new. If it is new check to see that the oiler hole isn't painted shut. I had that problem with myn 7900's factory supplied bar. I couldn't tell that it was painted shut until I put a scratch all in the hole.

as chains are ran they heat up and expand thus makeing the chain stretch. so most likely the guy took out a link because it stretched to much that he couldent tighten it any more. this will not hurt your saw what so ever. run it all day every day . hope this helped ya 2 out

Thanks everyone. The bar was brand new, I originally bought it to replace the old homie bar that was wore out. I looked on Oregon products website and it shows both 59 and 60 dl options for bars and chains. I thought I had sen it somewhere before, but couldn't remember where. I had bought 1 Oregon lgx chain and 2 stihl green chain. The problem I am having is with the stihl chain. I just can't seem to get it sharpened correctly I guess.

If the 59 driver fits on the bar and sprocket without being to tight then you are fine. I was wondering if your bar is new. If it is new check to see that the oiler hole isn't painted shut. I had that problem with myn 7900's factory supplied bar. I couldn't tell that it was painted shut until I put a scratch all in the hole.
I will have to double check that. Thanks, it might just be the one side when I flip the bar when I change chains. I will check on that and post my findings.

Most 16" 3/8" Pitch bars are made for 60dl, but some are made for 59 (for some silly reason).

Usually the recommended dl count will fit, but there are a few factors that may change that - like large sprockets or badly "streched" chain......

Most 16" 3/8" Pitch bars are made for 60dl, but some are made for 59 (for some silly reason).

Usually the recommended dl count will fit, but there are a few factors that may change that - like large sprockets or badly "streched" chain......

Nikko is spot on again. The older Homelite 16" bars did not use 60dl chains, they used 59dl chains.

59dl bars are a little inconvenient imo, as most premade 16" loops in 3/8" are 60dl.

It is now days, no doubt. BUT!!! back in the day it was simple to go to a Homelite dealer in the US and get a 59dl chain, even if Poulan, Mac and Echo used 60dl 16" chains.

Really no different then Stihl using a 91DL 28" chain or Dolmar using a 64DL 18" chain today...

It is now days, no doubt. BUT!!! back in the day it was simple to go to a Homelite dealer in the US and get a 59dl chain, even if Poulan, Mac and Echo used 60dl 16" chains.

Really no different then Stihl using a 91DL 28" chain or Dolmar using a 64DL 18" chain today...

Of course, and the list could be much longer....:givebeer:

GB have done some pretty funky things over the years involving DL counts. As far as Dolmars 18" bar being 64DL that's because they advertised it as an 18" bar despite being 17" :) It's a bit like Stihl calling their 24" bar a 25" despite being 84DL like every other 24" bar on the planet.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I made a chain up based on GB's catalogue and bar packaging recommendations and found that it didn't fit :chainsaw: I'd be a millionaire - well I'd have over $100 anyway!

Ok, so here is an honest question. Last year I purchased a dolmar 5105 with a 20" bar (got the 20" because it came with 3 free chains from my dealer as a special). Anyway, I have an old homelite super ez ao, that had a 16" b/c 59 dl. Both are 3/8 pitch .050 gauge. I have run the 16" bar and chain on my dolmar with no problems until recently.

The reason for my question is that recently with the 16" bar, the bar has started to smoke when cutting. I thought the oiler hole in the bar was clogged, so I checked it, and it was clean. I know the chain was sharp as I had just sharpened it.

Looking at the dolmar website I have found that the correct bar and chain for 16" should be with 60 drive links, not the 59 dl that the b/c combo is that I am running.

Has my ignorance got me in trouble, or am I ok to run the 59dl b/c? Your help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to damaged my saw, it runs great with the 20" b/c.

Bolt on the bar sans chain and use a stack of flat washers instead of the clutch cover. Run him and verify that he is putting out oil.

Long/short chains don't smoke due to length.

59 DL chains are more popular than you might think. I had a pile of NOS ones that I bought at an auction. I sold them for $9.99 each on Ebay last year. I have an Olympic with a 16 inch bar that uses a 59 DL chain.

Latest posts

Back