Does a power pole saw make me a worthless hack??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborealbuffoon

Wood Wh@re
Reaction score
Yesterday I did a job for an old friend. He is getting out of the landscaping business, and offered to trade me an Echo power pole saw for part of my pay. After working on it for an hour and replacing the bar and chain, I was ready to give it a whirl.

This particular job was what I consider a perfect fit for one of these saws. (Half a dozen trees in the yard that primarily needed elevation and pruning away from the roof.)

I really like the speed and convenience of this tool. In fact, I spent most of last evening wondering why I had never ponied up for one before. As far as bang for the buck, I rank this tool very high on a short list.

On the down side, I realize that there are purists who will call me a hack. Daring to prune a large woody plant with a chainsaw is considered poor form in some circles. I personally don't quite understand why chainsaw pruning should be frowned upon if cuts are executed correctly. That's why I am throwing this question out to you guys....many of whom are far more particular than I suspect that I am.

Additionally, I have already realized that this thing is an integral part of my Climbing Cessation Program. These days, I really prefer NOT to do a bunch of climbing any more. I figure that if I can elevate a bunch of trees while never leaving the ground (and not killing myself with a conventional pole saw) then maybe I win! Never in my life has a client offered to pay me for the additional time and effort to hand saw every cut.

SO....what do you guys think about these saws, and how many of you will admit to using one?

Yesterday I did a job for an old friend. He is getting out of the landscaping business, and offered to trade me an Echo power pole saw for part of my pay. After working on it for an hour and replacing the bar and chain, I was ready to give it a whirl.

This particular job was what I consider a perfect fit for one of these saws. (Half a dozen trees in the yard that primarily needed elevation and pruning away from the roof.)

I really like the speed and convenience of this tool. In fact, I spent most of last evening wondering why I had never ponied up for one before. As far as bang for the buck, I rank this tool very high on a short list.

On the down side, I realize that there are purists who will call me a hack. Daring to prune a large woody plant with a chainsaw is considered poor form in some circles. I personally don't quite understand why chainsaw pruning should be frowned upon if cuts are executed correctly. That's why I am throwing this question out to you guys....many of whom are far more particular than I suspect that I am.

Additionally, I have already realized that this thing is an integral part of my Climbing Cessation Program. These days, I really prefer NOT to do a bunch of climbing any more. I figure that if I can elevate a bunch of trees while never leaving the ground (and not killing myself with a conventional pole saw) then maybe I win! Never in my life has a client offered to pay me for the additional time and effort to hand saw every cut.

SO....what do you guys think about these saws, and how many of you will admit to using one?
I got a ht 101 and 2 ht 75s they are never left behind !

It doesn't make you a hack unless you use it as one. I was using my HT75 on monday to clear out pricker bushes, low branches, and various undergrowth so that I wouldn't have to go diving into the mud and prickers.

It doesn't make you a hack unless you use it as one.....

Well said!

I almost bought one to help clean up storm damage this year...but didn't pull the trigger. It certainly would have made a couple of jobs faster and probably safer - being able to cut the ends off of branches that were hanging low before going up into the tree to untangle them/finish the broken area with a clean cut.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks these little gizmos are the bees knees! In fact, for cutting back the tips of a limb to clear wires it works much better than trying to use a hand pole saw. I am looking forward to discovering many new uses for this thing.

Thanks for all your honest responses! Wish I would have bought one 15 years ago.......

Those things are a must. I use them all the time. Doing evergreens removals, I will de-limb the tree as high as I can reach before getting into it, shaving most nubs leaving a nice little ladder. They also work great on storm damage, those branches that u can tell are under tons of tension, use that, keeping you away from any spring pole action. I had the one u have, I believe. The one with the trigger handle on top of the pole? Great model, actually liked it better than my Stihl's.

Don't put alot of pressure on it, you will burn up the plastic guide on the inside and it will freeze up, solid! I know :(

I got one about 10 years ago. It was $700 dollars but the first job I used it on was so big that it paid for itself. Very useful tool.

The only way somebody would be a hack for using a power pole saw is if that is there only means of cutting anything and they call theirselves a tree service.Some cuts just can't be finished correctly with a pole saw if doing a prune but ,you can get a hell of a good start on a job just getting the lower clutter out of the way.
Love mine ,,just wish it was longer.

And no..That's NOT what SHE said.:hmm3grin2orange:

I first used an HT-101 yesterday to get some big (8") limbs down from where the county pruned a big dead maple and left big branches in the canopy of some smaller trees. The maple was close to the road and the dead limbs would have fallen on the road, so the county took them out. That pole saw worked great, would have been a real PITA without it. I was surprised how well it cut with minimal pressure on the cuts. You gotta be real careful to not get hit with the stuff you are cutting loose!!! and those poles ain't easy to run with. I hear dudes wanting longer reach on them but at 15' they are difficult to control.

So has anyone ported and extended one??? just thinking ahead, an 044 with 35' reach :D:D:D

Bought one years ago echo model, great tool & reliable! certain interior parts wear inside the xtension part of the tool & like someone else mentioned be careful how much pressure you apply............however, I modded mine by removing certain parts & making the unit more of a direct drive instead of always breaking the beefed up weed eater spring connector shaft.

after tinkering a bit and removing some of the other components which eliminates drag......my power pruner can cut and throw the limb similar to a hydraulic pole saw! these things are great! enjoy.

LXT............

I had one for a couple days earlier this spring before I resold it. Found a good deal on a new looking Stihl on craigslist for $275, was only the second time I had run one. Only took me ten minutes to realize I wouldn't put one in the hands of employees. If I was the only one running it sure but they are too easy to tear up when I won't be there ready to smack somebody in the back of the head for doing something stupid with it.

Mine was a Power Pruner too, by Technique Tools. Good piece, wish they still made them.(I could still see your post PD!) The other thing that is cool about them the Stihls, I bought a hedge trimmer attachment for mine. The nicest one Stihl has,the one that changes angles and has the longest bar, hooks right up to the end of mine, making it much easier to shape up those big hedge rows. Even on a small ones that are long, you can sit in one place and make nice smooth long sweeps, making sure that it is nice and level. When you have to cut them back from the side of a house, with this, ya don't have to try and get in between as much, stand on one side and work it from there.

Think Tree MD turned me onto that.

Well mine can make my 60 ft bucket grow into a 75 fter real quick , we use it all the time and it's a lot easier then destroying your arms and shoulders with a silky , you just have to be careful with it , you can saw scar if your not
y4ajuhy2.jpg

Back