Does anyone ever change their Stihl saws to EZ start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my old man an easy start wee Stihl a while back. He has a dodgy elbow so can't yank on starter cord but can still run a saw.

Have been waiting for him to settle on a battery platform for his cordless drills. He has 5 different cordless drills (no I have no idea why and he probably doesn't either). I think he'll probably start collecting DeWalt cordless tools though as it seems like his favourite drill, and if that's the case I think I'll be buying him a DeWalt chainsaw at some point in the future BC he is starting to lose his marbles and will probably straight gas the Stihl.

We've changed a bunch of the little Stihl saws over from Easy Start to conventional starting systems, wondering if anyone ever changes them TO an easy start?
Does anybody know the part number to replace the easy start pully on an MS251c? Annoying system for sure that I want to get rid of…

I like the saw because it’s light and great for quick limbing work. I already converted away from the junk quick blade tension system. I’m not sure why they messed with good designs…

Is this one of those man the **** up threads or are we sitn on our asses petn cats?

They messed with a "good" design because people can't start them. Instead of fixing the problem they made the lazy start system, which is problematic after a short time. Converting isn't worth it, just fix it and if you want a saw that will start easy and last the rest of your life, grab a ms260 or ms261

I dont have a stihl but have a couple saws with the easy start.
I dont get the hate, when you're starting/stopping the saw a lot trimming little stuff it's great.
You have to retrain yourself to hold the saw still and barely pull the cord but once you figure that out it's smooth sailing.

Does anybody know the part number to replace the easy start pully on an MS251c? Annoying system for sure that I want to get rid of…

I like the saw because it’s light and great for quick limbing work. I already converted away from the junk quick blade tension system. I’m not sure why they messed with good designs…
Everybody does, including you. Go search STIHL IPL's for your model. The 251, 251C with easy start, and the 251 CE, with the Knob clutch cover chain adjuster.

Everything you need is clearly shown, starting with the flywheel, which MUST be changed. Do you like your light saw with $100 in parts?

I used to have a bunch of easy start parts here where people wanted them changed to conventional but recently some of the people came back and wanted their easy start parts back. Not sure if they decided to hang onto them to change back again in the future...

Love my 250C EZ start! Can no longer start the regular type. Old age ain't for sissies. Like my little Ryobi battery one, too.

My EGO battery powered weed whacker sure made a believer out of me!
My son gave me a B&D battery weedwhacker with auto feed and I gave him my gas Stihl. Excellent trade for me! due to moles, voles and pocket gophers, a lawn mower would be a poor option for my yard. Can't really call it a lawn, just a yard.

It is a love hate relationship with these. I have women and the older weekend warriors that love them. It all depends on whether you can transition to a straight pull to start or want to keep yanking on the saw. Have them out there 10 years old or more I have never repaired recoils or quick adjuster. Still selling them quite often.
Does a pro or serious wood cutter want one? Probably not. Though there are those that do use them without issue.
A little cleaning on the quick adjuster goes a long way.
Let the haters hate.

My son gave me a B&D battery weedwhacker with auto feed and I gave him my gas Stihl. Excellent trade for me! due to moles, voles and pocket gophers, a lawn mower would be a poor option for my yard. Can't really call it a lawn, just a yard.
Everybody around where I live has a mole problem. Next time I buy a lawn mower I'm gonna get one with springs on it..

It is a love hate relationship with these. I have women and the older weekend warriors that love them. It all depends on whether you can transition to a straight pull to start or want to keep yanking on the saw. Have them out there 10 years old or more I have never repaired recoils or quick adjuster. Still selling them quite often.
Does a pro or serious wood cutter want one? Probably not. Though there are those that do use them without issue.
A little cleaning on the quick adjuster goes a long way.
Let the haters hate.
Not sure why but some of the bigger saws are easier to pull than small ones, like the MS250.

The ms250 has too small of a starter pully for its displacement, coupled with claimed flooding issues they are a pain at best to start. Do a search of the forum, plenty of "I can't start my stihl 250" threads, and plenty of lazy start problems. 1+1=2. Crap design masked with a bandaid that shouldn't be needed.

The ms250 has too small of a starter pully for its displacement, coupled with claimed flooding issues they are a pain at best to start. Do a search of the forum, plenty of "I can't start my stihl 250" threads, and plenty of lazy start problems. 1+1=2. Crap design masked with a bandaid that shouldn't be needed.
Yes, I own a MS250. It's not the worst one I've ever started but I have several saws that are bigger than it is and are easier to start..

Latest posts

Back